PDA

View Full Version : help needed

H-Gerickemark
11-10-04, 08:11 PM
lisence issue,

ive had my lisence since jan but a provisional for 2 years prior, if I get more than since points will I be banned, does that count for first year or first two years???? :cry: :cry:

mark

fraser01
11-10-04, 08:15 PM
you post in too many locations....see your last corresponding post :roll:

Warren
11-10-04, 10:14 PM
correct me if im wrong - but your top up period (i think its called) lasts for 2 years after you PASS your first category.
so if you had a provisional licence for 2 years. then passed - you are allowed 6 points before being disqualified before 2 years after you passed and 12 after the 2 years after you pass.

if/when you are disqualified you must take an extended test to get your licence back again - once you have this - you are allowed 12 points.

btww . now that i answered your question - can i get some free winter boots ? my feet are freezing.

H-Gerickemark
12-10-04, 08:18 AM
feel a bit better now, its raining today so my bikes not going anywhere anyway.

thanks to everyonr for there help.

mark

Carsick
12-10-04, 06:21 PM
If you get 6 points for anything within 2 years of getting a full test pass in any catagory you lose all of your categories until you pass a test in a category you previously had.
It's not automatically an extended test.
Anything else they do is just punishment for whatever you did to gain the 6 points.

Mythkind
12-10-04, 11:39 PM
If you get 6 points for anything within 2 years of getting a full test pass in any catagory you lose all of your categories until you pass a test in a category you previously had.
It's not automatically an extended test.
Anything else they do is just punishment for whatever you did to gain the 6 points.

This is true however it only applies to the FIRST vehicle licence you have. That is, if you passed your car test first and then some years later pass your bike test the six point rule doesn't apply to your newly obtained bike licence and you will need to acrue 12 points in order to lose your licence. Dunno if this makes any sense?

MK

14-10-04, 07:59 AM
I was under the impression that...

Any catogary you take i believe you are under 2 yrs propbationary period, if in these 2 years you get more than 6 points you loose that part or all of your liscence,
after the 2 years is up you may proceed on topping up your licence with points to the value of 12 points at which point your liscence will be removed!!!

simply put no more than 6 points in first 2 years no more than 12 after that.

Hope this helps and please correct me if you are wrong!

Cheers
Alex

Jabba
14-10-04, 08:06 AM
Any catogary you take i believe you are under 2 yrs propbationary period, if in these 2 years you get more than 6 points you loose that part or all of your liscence,

This is incorrect. Period.

The 2 year probationary period apples from when you pass the test for your first catagory, and it applies to the whole licence. The system does not distinguish between categories of licence or when they were obtained during the two year period from passing your first test.

Please don't let there be any doubt over this.

There's no way, given that I need my car for work, that I's have risked my licence (I passed my car test more than 20 years ago) by doing a bike test and I looked into this very carefully.

after the 2 years is up you may proceed on topping up your licence with points to the value of 12 points at which point your liscence will be removed!!!

This is correct. Period. :lol:

fraser01
14-10-04, 08:30 AM
It amazes me how unclear people find this licencing malarky....

What with the new driver/rider probationary period and things like riding bikes on a provisional with a full car licence...do you need L plates, do you need a CBT...is it different for a 50cc or a 125cc....

The amount of people that i stop just don't realise what they can and can't do.....or then again they may just be blatantly flouting the law :roll:

Regards

Fraser

Jabba
14-10-04, 08:48 AM
It amazes me how unclear people find this licencing malarky....

Yeah - I don't understand how people can go into a potentially illegal situation without first checking what the law is. Or is it just me being a bit of an odd-ball? :?

What with the new driver/rider probationary period and things like riding bikes on a provisional with a full car licence...do you need L plates, do you need a CBT...is it different for a 50cc or a 125cc....

And cos fraser01 didn't say.............

If you have a full car licence you can ride a scoot of upto 50cc without having a CBT or L-plates.

For every other size of scoot/m'bike riden without a test pass, one needs the provisional entitlement on your licence, CBT and L-plates

Having said that, there's some complicating bollox for car-test passes after 1997 but, since it didn't affect me, I didn't need to know about 'em so I didn't memorise what they are :lol:

Over to you, fraser01 :wink:

Jabba
14-10-04, 09:30 AM
Right, and for the avoidance of doubt:

The licencing laws are explained here:
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/learn2dr.htm#2.%20Motorcycles,%20scooters%20and%20 mopeds.

The Road Traffic (New Drivers) Act 1995 is explained here as it relates to licence endorsements:
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/endorsem.htm#6.%20The%20Road%20Traffic%20(%20New%2 0Drivers)%20Act%201995

And from this latter link:

"This Act will affect you if you passed your first GB driving test after 1 June 1997 when it came into force. If the number of valid penalty points shown on your driving licence total 6 or more during the two year probationary period immediately following your first driving test, your full driving licence will be revoked by DVLA until such time as you pass a further driving test."

Another service brought to you care of Jabba-the-Hutt Enterprises inc. :wink:

fraser01
14-10-04, 09:36 AM
:lol:

jambo
14-10-04, 10:48 AM
If you have a full car licence you can ride a scoot of upto 50cc without having a CBT or L-plates.

....Without a pillion :roll: :lol:

Nickster78
14-10-04, 11:57 AM
You have made my day!!!!! I passed my car licence in 1995 so the Act doesn't apply anyway, and there I was worrying that having only passed my bike licence in February this year that I would need to be very careful of cameras etc for 2 years for the fear of losing my licence completely)

I would have thought they would have made this more clear to you when you passed your test!

Thanks Jabba :D

Jabba
14-10-04, 12:24 PM
Not having an SV, stuff like this is one way, other than stupid innane replies to other peoples posts, that I can contribute something meaningful :lol:

I would have thought they would have made this more clear to you when you passed your test!

Think that should be a job for your instructors, personally.

Glad you're happy :D

rictus01
14-10-04, 12:36 PM
So does that mean you can or can’t run over the guy in front with the red flag :?:

Sometimes I feel just a little out of touch :oops:

Cheers Mark.

Jabba
14-10-04, 12:43 PM
So does that mean you can or can’t run over the guy in front with the red flag :?:

Only if it's your right of way :thumbsup:

Mogs
14-10-04, 12:54 PM
You'd have to catch up to him first, Jabba :)

14-10-04, 12:55 PM
I did think that it applied to the whole liscence but was hedging my bets!! lol
I would be buggered any way as i did my bike and car test within 6 months of each other anyway!!

Good to see i was right on one thing??

Alex

rictus01
14-10-04, 12:58 PM

Only if it's your right of way :thumbsup:

it's always my right of way, it's just whether they know or not :shock:

Cheers Mark.