PDA

View Full Version : Wrists and hands - throttle rocker

Johnsilver
14-10-04, 10:42 PM
Advice requested on the following, please, anyone. My previous ride has been more of the sit-up-and-beg persuasion, and, while I love my new SV650SK3 bigtime - only a week old - i am feeling some tension and pain in the wrist/heel-of-hand area (*the idle banter misquoting posse will almost certainly be getting itchy fingers here*). I have read earlier threads which advise more knee-gripping and lighter hand-gripping (*it's like taking candy from a baby innit guys?*) and it's getting a bit easier already.

Now, to the point - I have seen a thing called ThrottleRocker for about a tenner and am in process of scoring one from ebay supplier. It's a little paddle thing that velcro's onto twistgrip and is therefore easily removable - a good thing, as it it could be said to look a bit girlie! Anyone any experience of this lil gizmo? I also saw, in an earlier thread, mention of an O-ring that can be used to wedge throttle open on M-ways etc, but this sounds to me to fall somewhere between inadvisable and illegal?

fraser01
14-10-04, 11:03 PM
I had a throttle rocker/ paddle thing that i used on my K3, it worked quite well, not sure it eased the wrists though.... To be honest the problem i found was taking the weight off my wrists and what i have found is that my knox back protector supports my back enough for me to sit alittle more upright. (although if you sit too upright then you can't reach the bars) and the more you ride the stronger your back gets....

hope this helps..

Regards

Fraser :D

Jabba
15-10-04, 07:55 AM
My mate Kevin ("mogs" on here) offered a different solution a couple of weeks ago..................

"Eat more pies and drink more beer, then rest the resultant enlarged gut on the tank to take the weight off your wrists"

Might be worth a try?

Flamin_Squirrel
15-10-04, 08:19 AM
For a month after getting my SVS even short rides used to leave me with aching wrists... but not any more.

As you ride more you'll get used to it, not least because you'll relax and wont hold on so tight.

Nekkid
15-10-04, 08:20 AM
John,
I've been using one of these for a few months now and if you do any serious motorway miles, it's great. Not specifically for the wrist, however. As others have mentioned, the best way to take pressure off the wrist is to eat pies and use the gut. Or grip with the knees and use your midsection to keep the weight off your hands.
I would still get one though, it's good for preventing 'The Claw' during long motorway journeys. Also helps with blipping while you brake.

Cronos
15-10-04, 08:31 AM
I'm going to break with tradition and not mis-quote your post. I could be here all day if I did!!! :lol:

Have you tried to adjust the angle of the brake and clutch levers so that they are in line with your arm. One of the reasons you're getting wrist ache *bites tongue* could be because your wrists are at an uncomfortable angle to your arms in order to cover the levers.

It you ajust your levers slightly so that your wrists are in line with your arms then you won't be forcing them to the same angle and therefore should reduce pressure on them.

Hope that all makes sense!

Jabba
15-10-04, 08:44 AM
*bites tounge*

What's a tounge? :wink:

Cronos
15-10-04, 08:47 AM
#-o

It's teh thnig pepole woh cna't tyep use to hlep tehm speka! :lol:

Nick762
15-10-04, 11:09 AM
I saw a little gizmo advertised in (I think) Bike magazine this month. Apparently you fit it to the grip and it reduces the amount of twist you have to put on the throttle to open it the whole way. Not sure exactly how it works, I'll see if I can find it again. the ad' specifed SVs as one of the bikes it could be fitted to.

Ed
15-10-04, 04:33 PM
I saw a little gizmo advertised in (I think) Bike magazine this month. Apparently you fit it to the grip and it reduces the amount of twist you have to put on the throttle to open it the whole way. Not sure exactly how it works, I'll see if I can find it again. the ad' specifed SVs as one of the bikes it could be fitted to.

Well done Nick. 'I saw some gizmo advertised somewhere and don't know how it works'. We've learned a lot :lol: :wink:

El Saxo
15-10-04, 09:18 PM

I saw that too, dug out magazine and found it on p.127

"Suzuki quick-action throttle...compresses full throttle into one-fifth turn. Fits most Bandits, SVs, GSX-Rs, TLs and Hayabusas. £27.99" (from Suzi I assume).

Hope this helps guys... :wink:

northwind
16-10-04, 04:33 PM
The throttle cylinder from an R6, or possibly R1, fits an SV perfectly, has the same effect, and costs around a tenner :) But I'm not sure that's the answer... For one thing, it'll make the throttle even more sensitive, personally I can live without that. Also, I don't think it'll reduce wrist strain since you can easily adjust your grip once the throttle's open to move your hand back round. It's mainly for times when quick full-throttle action is more important, ie the track.

I've got one of the Scottoiler crampbusters- the same thing as was describing here I think, it's a plastic thing that goes around the grip-, but it was only on the bike for about a day before I took it off... It does what it's supposed to, but I found it got in the way all the time on smaller throttle openings, and frankly when I'm going fast enough for it to be usable I want to have my hand near the front brake... I've kept it in case of long distance motorway trips.

Some SVRider guys recommend gettinga big O-ring orrubber band, and jamming it into the end of the throttle, to restrict movement. THis sounds insane to me, but they seem to think it works.

Sudoxe
17-10-04, 08:03 AM
Have you tried sitting back in the seat more and gripping the tank with your knees?

This will let you put your weight through your legs? rather than your wrists which can be bad...

Your find your own position on the bike after a while anyway, just slide back and foward im sure your find somewhere comfy on that hard SV seat.

Dan

valleyboy
17-10-04, 01:41 PM
Well, Im not going to try the pie eating method.... a big gut is bad for ones balancing when dancing around trusses on a roof.....
plus I dont want to find out that I weigh to much for said truss, after I stand on it 30ft in the air!

Though, in time you will notice that the pain goes away.. the faster you ride.. the less it hurts.... same with your back.. I had terrible back ache for a few days after getting on my bike... sems to have gone now though.

Mogs
18-10-04, 12:26 PM
The relaxing and gripping the tank with your knees works for me, assisted of course by my 42 inch gut.

Now I have a different problem, those small raised bumps it the road, like when a pipe has been laid all the way across, they bounce me off the throttle.

rukus
18-10-04, 12:39 PM

I saw that too, dug out magazine and found it on p.127

"Suzuki quick-action throttle...compresses full throttle into one-fifth turn. Fits most Bandits, SVs, GSX-Rs, TLs and Hayabusas. £27.99" (from Suzi I assume).

Hope this helps guys... :wink:

I saw this at the BMF last year... seems like it could lead to dangerous situations though, imagine twisting 1/5th of the amount for full throttle. I could imagine uncontrollable wheelies and nasty incidents??

northwind
18-10-04, 06:27 PM
No no no, it reduces the amount to go from zero to full from 1/4 of a full turn, ie 90 degrees, to one fifth (72 degrees) it doesn't reduce the throttle action to 1/5 of the original throw!

Johnsilver
26-10-04, 04:28 PM
Just to update you on this little addition, but firstly thanks to all those who contributed their respective 2 penn'ths - your comments on posture, knee-gripping etc have all helped.

The 'throttle rocker' thingy arrived in the post yesterday from its Ebay vendor £10.80 inc p+p - posted from Canada. Fitted and tried it today, and I have to say that I think it's really good. It clips onto the twistgrip - a 5 second job - no tools - and allows a welcome and comfortable variation in the position of your throttle hand, reducing the death-grip/claw tendency from which I am sure much of the earlier discomfort arose. I shall def be keeping it on.