PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Squeal!

a1a
15-10-04, 06:39 PM
Does or did anybody else have rear brake squeal when appling the rear brake? If so what is the solution that you took to fix it? 2004 Naked SV650 with embarrassing sound. I'm still under warranty so will probably take it back to the Dealer. I just wanted to know if others have experienced this problem. Cheers, Richard

Cloggsy
15-10-04, 07:32 PM
I get a bit of this too :roll: I'd be interested to hear a solution :wink:

Scoobs
15-10-04, 07:45 PM
Don't use it or coat the disc liberally with grease.

*please don't take anything I say seriously*

Scoobs
15-10-04, 07:46 PM
Alternatively, remove the pads and smear a little copper grease on the back (the non friction side) This has worked for me in the past on both bicycle and motorbike disc brakes.

15-10-04, 08:02 PM
try removing the pads and cleaning both the pads and discs, could be dirt/dust trapped between.

a1a
16-10-04, 04:40 AM
try removing the pads and cleaning both the pads and discs, could be dirt/dust trapped between.

I bought my bike new from an out of town Dealer. I started to notice the squeal the 2nd day of ownership. I was wondering if this was a Suzuki SV650 thing and if everybody has went thru this problem.
Cheers, Richard

KrZ
16-10-04, 06:13 PM
yep, i have the same problem from day 1, but i quite like the fact it acts as a warning to other road uses of your road presense. So i will not b e copper easing it .

Shooter
16-10-04, 07:13 PM
Try some aerosol Brake Cleaner (WD40 or CRC Brand). Spray it into the pad area and onto the disk - wipe clean and repeat if necessary.

Cover & protect areas such as the tyre , chain etc as you spray.

Worked for me on a minor brake "squeal".

Make sure you use the BrakeClean product and not the lubricants from those manufacturers - the cans look the same.

chazzyb
16-10-04, 08:04 PM
Try some aerosol Brake Cleaner (WD40 or CRC Brand). Spray it into the pad area and onto the disk - wipe clean and repeat if necessary.

Cover & protect areas such as the tyre , chain etc as you spray.

Worked for me on a minor brake "squeal".

Make sure you use the BrakeClean product and not the lubricants from those manufacturers - the cans look the same.

Hmm, the only WD40 in the UK is most definitely NOT for use around brakes.

wheelnut
16-10-04, 08:18 PM
Mine does it since I put new pads in, I took them out and cleaned them again with brake cleaner, but it has come back after a couple of weeks. I think it needs the disc replacing too, but its a squeal, I can put up with

21QUEST
17-10-04, 12:50 AM
Your pads/discs could be contaminated or glazed. get the pads out and go over lightly with a bit of wet and dry (dry) to get the glaze off and you might want to go over ever so lightly the discs with some very fine wire wool then clean them with some brake cleaner. Job done.

Cheers
Ben

Sincs
17-10-04, 10:27 AM
Alternatively, remove the pads and smear a little copper grease on the back (the non friction side) This has worked for me in the past on both bicycle and motorbike disc brakes.
I'll second this. I used it on my brakes plenty of times over the years.
JUST DONT GET IT ON THE DISCS, otherwise you wont stop!

rictus01
17-10-04, 12:44 PM
What?

You mean the SV comes with a back Brake :shock:

iprideaux
19-10-04, 12:09 PM
Mine does it since I put new pads in, I took them out and cleaned them again with brake cleaner, but it has come back after a couple of weeks. I think it needs the disc replacing too, but its a squeal, I can put up with
You did transfer the anti-squeel shims to the new pads, didn't you?

Grinch
19-10-04, 12:18 PM
I had this on my back and front brakes and I found cleaning up the pad with a bit of wet'n dry or rough brush, then little copper grease on the back sorts the problem out no end...
This was due to the bike sitting up for a while and developing a 'fluff' problem.

jambo
19-10-04, 02:11 PM
Check the anti squeel plates (thin metal strips that go between the piton and the pad on the side closest to the front of the bike) are in. This will "toe in" the pads. Also lob copper slip on the back side of the pads. Should sort it