PDA

View Full Version : Long Way Round - Sky One 9pm Tonight

Cronos
18-10-04, 08:13 AM
Kicks off tonight, detailing Ewan MGregor & his friend's trip from London to NY on GS1150 Adventurers.

Really looking forward to this as I've always harboured ambitions for a similar type of round the world tour. Maybe one day I'll actually start saving for it! :wink:

Jabba
18-10-04, 08:19 AM
Kicks off tonight, detailing Ewan MGregor & his friend's trip from London to NY on GS1150 Adventurers.

Really looking forward to this as I've always harboured ambitions for a similar type of round the world tour. Maybe one day I'll actually start saving for it! :wink:

I wanted to watch "Spooks" on BBC1 but I was over-ruled by Mrs Jabba. Honest :lol:

Cloggsy
18-10-04, 08:22 AM
I'm at work tonight, so I was gonna ask my missus to tape it... If she decides she isn't watching something first :roll:

Mind you, it's repeated on Sky Travel on Wednesdays isn't it :wink:

simon-temple
18-10-04, 08:35 AM
so how long do I have to wait until it arrives on "normal" telly? :(

probably by the time it does get to BBC I could have done my own trip!

Cloggsy
18-10-04, 08:41 AM
so how long do I have to wait until it arrives on "normal" telly? :(

It was filmed by 'SKY' so the chances of it being on 'normal' tele are slim... Mind you, there's always Channel 5, they seem to buy a lot of stuff off SKY :wink:

simon-temple
18-10-04, 08:46 AM
:shock: :? :(

OK then, I better start my own adventure to make up for it :)

Steve H
18-10-04, 10:31 AM
Just finished the book, then saw the advert for the documentary.
Should be good fun if its anything like the book. :D

Mech
18-10-04, 12:25 PM
For any of you with freeview...
Ewan McGregor: Long Way Round

Channel: Sky Travel
Date: Wednesday 20 October Time: 9:30pm to 10:30pm
Videoplus: 5155440

Review
Documentary series following actor Ewan McGregor and best friend Charley Boorman as they undertake a mammoth motorbike ride from London to New York - going the long way round.

I realise that it has been pointed out that it's on Sky Travel already, but I figured that as it took me a moment to realise that it was a freeview channel, I'd try and help everyone else out...

Moo
18-10-04, 06:14 PM
Will watch it looks interesting. :lol:

fourpaws
19-10-04, 07:09 AM
Sent this to MCN .... You never know they MAY do something about it !! :? lol !!

What a fantastic programme last night on Sky TV ! Im enthralled already and salivating over the thought of the forthcoming programmes. However being loath to pay Murdoch any more money I can only watch Sky One at work - so having sat there and read this weeks MCN, I noticed that Ewan pays homage to the support that MCN gave them. So come on, how about you and Sky getting together and releasing the series on DVD or Video so us poor non-Sky viewers can see it ? Im going to buy the book anyway but its always nice to watch it as well !

Steve H
19-10-04, 07:36 AM
Four paws. Go and get the book, as its well worth the read. Im sure the dvd will be out in due course. The soundtrack is already out...........any album by the Stereophonics! :wink:

Ping
19-10-04, 08:43 AM
Watched it.. kept me glued. :D

Can't wait for next week's! :D

svpilot
19-10-04, 12:52 PM
For any of you with freeview...
Ewan McGregor: Long Way Round

Channel: Sky Travel
Date: Wednesday 20 October Time: 9:30pm to 10:30pm
Videoplus: 5155440

Review
Documentary series following actor Ewan McGregor and best friend Charley Boorman as they undertake a mammoth motorbike ride from London to New York - going the long way round.

I realise that it has been pointed out that it's on Sky Travel already, but I figured that as it took me a moment to realise that it was a freeview channel, I'd try and help everyone else out...

Top Tip! :thumbsup:

I had given up hope of seeing it, as I don't have 'posh telly' but I do have a freeview box woo-hoo!

amarko5
19-10-04, 12:57 PM

bet that bike sponsor (i wont name for legal reasons) are kicking themselves now ehh !

stupid *******s should have let the boys have the bikes.

tee hee hee.

Anonymous
19-10-04, 04:58 PM

bet that bike sponsor (i wont name for legal reasons) are kicking themselves now ehh !

tee hee hee.

Perhaps they were concerned that tyhe bikes might go the way of many of their bikes in the reliability department. Despite belief to the contrary it seems there are a few issues in that area.
Am I right in saying the chaps used 1150GS's? Tried and tested by now, at least.

Jabba
19-10-04, 05:02 PM
Am I right in saying the chaps used 1150GS's? Tried and tested by now, at least.

Yep - R1150GS Adventures to be precise :D

Jonboy will no doubt approve of the hard-luggage................

Moo
19-10-04, 05:04 PM

tee hee hee.

Perhaps they were concerned that tyhe bikes might go the way of many of their bikes in the reliability department. Despite belief to the contrary it seems there are a few issues in that area.

thats right BMW R 1150 GS Adventure see their web page for all the info.
www.longwayround.com

Anonymous
19-10-04, 05:04 PM
I guessed it wasnt 1200GS's by how far they got.........cast the line out and see if we can net us a Jonboy :lol:

Scoobs
20-10-04, 02:55 PM
Missed it Monday, but will watch it tonight.

Incidentally, what bikes WERE they going to use?

Moo
20-10-04, 04:18 PM
Missed it Monday, but will watch it tonight.

Incidentally, what bikes WERE they going to use?

KTM 950 Adventure's I think they were going to use.

Moo
20-10-04, 04:20 PM
See in mcn a woman has paid £87,000 for Ewan McGregor's BMW.

embee
20-10-04, 04:43 PM
Guess it's only me that thinks KTM did the right thing then? (lights blue touch paper and retires....) :twisted:

Ring ring........Hello, this is a multi-millionaire actor who wants to go on a ride across the world with a mate, neither of us seem to have a clue about organising anything but we've got a few people working for us who do, we've got a photographer to ride with us except he hasn't got a bike licence and his mum has his passport in Switzerland, and we'll be doing it all alone except for the support vehicles and crew, and Snap-on have given us a zilliard pounds worth of tools for some strange reason, don't know why we need them but there you go, and we (our PA's) haven't sorted out the visas yet but we'll get them sent to us in Prague or somewhere, and I keep falling over.
Please will you give us a couple of your best bikes. Thanks.

Errmm, no.

Just me then.

Still, I'll watch anyway 'cos it might be a larf! :lol:

simon-temple
20-10-04, 04:49 PM
When your bikes are the best for off-roading and generally blasting around the world as fast and as hard as possible whilst been ridden by the top world riders you don't need Ewan "use the force" McGregor to help promote them.

I'm only bitter 'cos I can't afford the KTM525 after having a blast on one the other day and neither can I watch it on telly. :(

Bah humbug :!:

Moo
20-10-04, 05:13 PM
I just don't think despited the KTM's being fine machines that they would have made it if they had used KTM's.(relights blue touch paper and retires....)

Twit
21-10-04, 09:34 AM
Didn't see the prog, not got sky...

But, I am doing pretty much the same trip starting in April next year on an 1150GS. We are leaving blighty, heading through Turkey, Iran, Pakistan. India, Nepal, Tibet, China and then shipping to Oz. From there hopefully if the money is still there it will be ship to S.America and onwards... Selling everything I own at present and should be getting the 1150 in a month or so for a full 6 month shakedown before the off...

Can't wait, leaving work next Friday to temp for six months - more so that I have time off at will to 'organise' and then I hope the trip will be 2-3 years!!!!

This is of no relevance except I might film it!!! Can't imagine Sky wanting that!!!

admin
21-10-04, 10:09 AM
I caught the last half on skytravel on freeview last night. I've just looked at the schedules and it looks like it's repeated on Sunday at 21:00 and ep2 again next wed at 21:30.

John

Twit
21-10-04, 10:16 AM
I just don't think despited the KTM's being fine machines that they would have made it if they had used KTM's.(relights blue touch paper and retires....)

Having tried both the 950 adventure and the beamer for the same trip I can say the beamer is way more suited to the purpose. The KTM is top fun but is more of a full on dirt bike with road ability. The BMW is the reverse plus is more comfortable and can carry more kit if that is a issue, as it is with me.

Do agree though going alone except for the crew is a bit of a cop out! Having said that both guys seem like genuine bike nuts....

Grinch
21-10-04, 10:16 AM
Thought it was cool.. very enjoyable. Makes a change from the normal '****ed in some country' doc that Sky one normally does that I avoid.
Looking forward to the next one.

Anonymous
21-10-04, 10:22 AM

But, I am doing pretty much the same trip starting in April next year on an 1150GS. We are leaving blighty, heading through Turkey, Iran, Pakistan. India, Nepal, Tibet, China and then shipping to Oz. From there hopefully if the money is still there it will be ship to S.America and onwards... Selling everything I own at present and should be getting the 1150 in a month or so for a full 6 month shakedown before the off...

Can't wait, leaving work next Friday to temp for six months - more so that I have time off at will to 'organise' and then I hope the trip will be 2-3 years!!!!

This is of no relevance except I might film it!!! Can't imagine Sky wanting that!!!

Good on you :thumbsup:

Jabba
21-10-04, 10:22 AM
Thought it was cool.. very enjoyable.

Yeah - as a proramme it was very watchable and certainly captured the imagination.

There's something funny about watching someone famous dropping an expensive bike, though, isn't there? :lol:

Cloggsy
21-10-04, 11:11 AM

Good on you :thumbsup:

Ditto... I'd love to give it a go... My boss is going to do it when he retires

Scoobs
21-10-04, 11:24 AM

Well done that man! If only I had no commitments and a lot of money I would join you.

Twit
21-10-04, 11:35 AM
It is amazing how cheaply it can be done within reason...

However, yes it helps if you have few commitments. As it is the whole thing is being funded due to the madness of house price rises... From the house, live on the proceeds and keep a little bit back here. Coming home again may be interesting mind you!!!!