PDA

View Full Version : Carbon versus Titanium end can

enzyme
22-10-04, 11:27 AM
Hi ,
I'm new to biking and was wondering if anyone could shed light on the pros/cons of carbon/titanium end cans. I like the carbon ones cos they would match my black sv but I've heard that they aren't as strong or as suitable for day to day riding. Is this correct?

Thanks

wigan650s
22-10-04, 11:41 AM
if i remember rightly carbon are titanium with a carbon cover anyway so it would come down to looks..i find carbon is easier to keep clean if that helps

rictus01
22-10-04, 12:33 PM
Having had just about every sort of can over the years, most of the carbon race cans are just foil lined and not metal sleeved. the road legal one could be different though.

depending on make, carbon are lighter and easier to keep clean.

however they are more fragile and can crack in a spill. also if not re-packed you can get the carbon bubble or even burn through.

Titainiun, has a matt finish so perhaps doesn't look as good, is generally quite strong, however can split when dented badly. it won't burn or bubble up if not re-packed regularly, but may dis-colour a bit..

Stainless, is the most durable (but heavy) alloy is the cheapest.

it very much depends on what your use of the bike is going to be ?

i'd say the Carbon are the best looking, but do stay on top of the re-packing (about every 4000 mls or so) also if you're fairly new to biking, then perhaps something stronger would be in order.

Titanium, is seen as "cool" as well, gives a bit more durability,doesn't need as much cleaning (as it's a matt finish) and you can get away with re-packing less frequently, although you can get the coloured titanium cans (not a great fan, bit tacky IMO).

Hope this helps

Cheers Mark.

enzyme
22-10-04, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the replies,

main usage of the can is going to be to wake up those london car drivers on my commute to work everyday so I'm thinking something stronger is probably better/safer in the longrun.

I spoke to the guys at Renegade and they are recommending the titanium over the Carbon for this kinda useage, but as I'm new to biking maybe I should just go for the SS? :o

rictus01
22-10-04, 02:47 PM
If you're talking Rene can then it doesn't really matter that much.

you can change the sleeve for £45, and because they come apart so easily (bolted not riveted) it's a 10 minute job.

Even if you dent it you could undo it and turn the sleeve around to hide the dent at the bottom/back.

and nothing quite makes the same noise as a Rene.

Cheers Mark

Wolfracing
23-10-04, 04:41 PM
The durability of carbon on a V Twin can be reduced but not if you get good quality carbon - we use 450 degree proofed stuff for example where most use 180 degree carbon so we've never seen a Wolf carbon blow out or brown or burn on an SV or any twin whereas some companies have seen big problems and many do not sell carbon for twins

If you're speaking to Jorge at Renegade you'll get good advice and his carbon is pretty good stuff too

ShaunSV SA
25-10-04, 10:30 AM
I have a Kerker carbon end can and I have had to fix 3 times already.
It broke off where it attaches to the piece that attaches to the zorst.

I wouldnt recomend carbon on a twin...

Stef
25-10-04, 11:41 AM
Carbon cans are less durable then titanium cans, because the heat gradualy degrades the epoxy resin between the fibres. You can slow this down by repacking frequently. Since titanium is also very light in weight, there's really no real advantage of carbon cans over titanium cans. The only thing speaking for carbon fibre is looks ! (oh, and the fact that they don't get that hot on the outside of the sleeve).

All this said, i still installed a carbon fibre can anyway :D
It's a Two Brothers X-metal CF can. X-metal is composed of carbon fibres, covered with a very thin layer of metal. They look great and are supposed to be a bit more heat resistant then normal CF. Just check it out :
www.twobros.com

enzyme
07-11-04, 06:48 PM
Thanks for your views , I made my choice and am just back from Renegade with a Rene Single Carbon and have to say it sounds and looks awesome. :lol: