PDA

View Full Version : Ticket review?

jonboy
23-10-04, 03:02 PM
Is this a review of ticket fairness or simply goverment embarassment?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1324589,00.html

Akula
23-10-04, 03:36 PM
I dont know whats more shocking, you reading the Times or the article :P ;)

Martin (Akula)

embee
23-10-04, 03:51 PM
"Wardens will be given digital cameras and ordered to take three photographs to prove both that a driver had parked illegally and that the restrictions were clearly signposted."

no-one ever heard of Photoshop then? :roll:

chazzyb
23-10-04, 04:38 PM
no-one ever heard of Photoshop then? :roll:

Maybe I'm being unfair, but I can't see the average traffic warden using a computer, let alone PhotoShop.

jonboy
23-10-04, 04:46 PM
I really don't think you're being unfair. :lol:

wyrdness
23-10-04, 04:55 PM
Hopefully these new rules will stop this kind of nonsense:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2808771.stm

Giving bonuses for the number of tickets issued was always going to cause problems and local authorities were being swamped with complaints.

Stig
23-10-04, 06:33 PM
complaints they got, but still we had to pay, I have also been had by a warden that could have easily used common sense and not gave me the ticket. I was parked on the pavement but right up along side a brick wall and right in front of a tree. The only thing that I was causing an obstruction too was a squirrel if it wanted to climb the damn tree. I was there for a total of 15 mins and was ticket after just 5 mins of being there. When I returned to my bike the ticket was just propped on the handlebars and not even stuck to the bike. A slight gust of wind and the ticket would have been gone, I wouldn't have known about it and I would have had to pay double for not paying it within two weeks. £80 :shock: :shock: :shock: I appealed against the ticket but still had to pay it.

northwind
23-10-04, 10:08 PM
On the other hand, today I was trying to get parked in the town centre, saw a warden so asked if she knew where there was a bike space. She didn't, but pointed out a bit of pavement set back and recommended I park there. Top notch...

Stig
24-10-04, 06:14 AM
and thats the difference between London and elsewhere I guess :roll:

timwilky
24-10-04, 06:25 AM
I am confused about this. I thought the law had only just been recently changed to make parking a council issue instead of plod.

Around here it is getting a real pain. My younger brother made the local papers with his parking probs. He runs a domestic appliance shop/repairs. for years the local traffic wardens turn a blind eye to him parking outside his shop to load/unload washing machines etc.

The parking bays outside the shop have a 30 minute limute with no return for 2 hours.

The other week the new council guy told him he was illegally parked and became abusive when he refused to move it as he was in the process of loading. Can you imagine carrying a washing machine 200yds to the next available bay. So my brother phones the council to complain about this guys attitude and whilst he is on the phone the ******* tickets him.

Businesses are threating to quit town centre sites as staff can no longer park etc.

embee
24-10-04, 10:47 AM
:rant:
The Brits (English?) have a punishment culture (yes, I'm English). Comes from Public Schools probably.

Anything that isn't desirable, make it illegal and punish people.
Education - no, don't want any of that.
Offer good alternatives - think we're a charity or something?
Give people criminal records for the rest of their lives - oh yes!

Why do you think we don't have a written constitution? Well, we don't want the plebs thinking they actually have rights now, do we? No, a big stick, that's what we want.

What ever happened to Tony's "Citizens' Charter" idea?
You've seen "Yes Minister"? It seemed a good idea for votes until some civil servants pointed out that Joe Public might then have thoughts above their station. No, best kept where they belong.
Come the next General Election, when the Labour (New, Old or otherwise) come knocking at your door asking for votes, ask them where the Citizens' Charter is. :-k
Last time I heard, we are all Subjects, not Citizens anyway, but I suppose "Subjects' Charter" doesn't have quite the same happy-clappy ring to it.

end
:rant:

Ed
24-10-04, 05:51 PM
So wardens will have more discretion with a view to a less adversarial relationship. These egs are from the article:

A warden issued a ticket to a rabbit in a hutch left in the road in Eccles, Greater Manchester in January. A pet shop owner had been unloading the hutch when he spotted the warden. Parking companies are usually unable to enforce tickets if the motorist drives off before the ticket has been attached to the vehicle. (Ed's view - the driver hopped it)

Three fireman were given tickets as they fought a blaze in Piccadilly, central London, in August last year. The same warden also tried to book an ambulance waiting to treat a victim of the fire.

An ambulance in Edinburgh was given a ticket in January 2003 as paramedics collected a wheelchair-bound elderly woman from sheltered housing.

The chief traffic warden and five of his staff in Bath were disciplined last year for a scam in which they avoided getting tickets for parking on double-yellow lines. They left their identity cards on the dashboard so that colleagues would know to ignore their vehicles.

northwind
24-10-04, 06:06 PM
An ambulance in Edinburgh was given a ticket in January 2003 as paramedics collected a wheelchair-bound elderly woman from sheltered housing.

Ah, but with that one it was an unmarked patient transport ambulance, double parked and entirely blocking a road...

BaggaZee
25-10-04, 12:05 PM
I went into Kingston & needed to park for about 15mins. The bike bays were full so I went to a paying car park. I parked in a pay and was standing at the machine when an attendant approached and told me I couldn't park there. I pointed out that the bike bays were full, his car park was practically empty and that I was going to pay for the bay! He didn't care, 'council policy' apparently. When I asked him what he would do about it if I left it, he said he'd call for a van to remove it.
I was very close to tearing his head off. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Moriarty
25-10-04, 12:29 PM
I'm not happy with the wardens either. I got a ticket for being (admittedly parked illegally) on single yellow lines outside my gym, three minutes before the restrictions ended.

Fifty quid down the drain for the most expensive three minutes of my life.

snoopy
25-10-04, 02:24 PM
Ever considered not paying it? Millions are wrote of every year from people that don't pay-up. I've yet to get one, but I won't pay up if I do.

Ed
25-10-04, 02:31 PM
Ever considered not paying it? Millions are wrote of every year from people that don't pay-up. I've yet to get one, but I won't pay up if I do.

Much as I dislike TWs I would pay. I had a ticket once, in Exeter, I simply forgot to put the ££ in the machine as it had become pay & display since the last time I'd used it (Mary Arches). I was hopping mad but I couged up as they had me bang to rights. I've made damn sure I've never got once since.

Stig
25-10-04, 08:51 PM
I went into Kingston & needed to park for about 15mins. The bike bays were full so I went to a paying car park. I parked in a pay and was standing at the machine when an attendant approached and told me I couldn't park there. I pointed out that the bike bays were full, his car park was practically empty and that I was going to pay for the bay! He didn't care, 'council policy' apparently. When I asked him what he would do about it if I left it, he said he'd call for a van to remove it.
I was very close to tearing his head off. :evil: :evil: :evil:

What a load of tosh, if you pay for the slot then what the feck does it matter what it is thats paying for it :?: :?: :?:

BaggaZee
26-10-04, 11:23 AM
Well, he wasn't the brightest gorilla in the cage and if it says in the big book that I can't park there then he'll make sure I don't.

Why the council feel this way is beyond me, why would any biker pay to park if he had the option of using a free bay?! :evil: :?:

howardr
26-10-04, 12:38 PM
I had the same problem in Watford recently. I went to the NCP and when I asked where to park they told me it was for cars only. I asked the "ass(istant)" where I could park in Watford and he had no idea!

Then spotting a completely unmarked area of pavement opposite, with bikes parked on it, he said "over there mate".

So I had to ride all the way round the one-way system just to park opposite the NCP on the pavement! :shock:

Guy H
27-10-04, 08:46 AM
Just to add a bit of 'light to the end of the tunnel' so to speak.
I live near Croydon, and I must say the bike parking facilities are great. In the multistories there are secure areas undercover for bike and outside there are many bays, all clearly marked as well. Oh and, I've been told, you can park in a 'slot' and pay as well.

Professor
27-10-04, 09:36 AM
Oh and, I've been told, you can park in a 'slot' and pay as well.

But how would you display the ticket on our bike :?:

BaggaZee
27-10-04, 10:59 AM
I've had that discussion with a council before. I used to work in Chelsea and the tickets there aren't even sticky, you're just meant to ram it into a crevice somewhere (don't tempt me). I appealed a fine when I really had bought a ticket (no, honestly!) but it had blown away or been nicked only to be told that I should either right down the serial number of the ticket every time I park, then appeal, yeah right, nothing better to do , :evil: , or fit another tax-disc holder for tickets!!
Tossers. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Clunk
27-10-04, 11:40 AM

Did you see a TV series about baliffs and repo firms a few months back ?

A lot of their work comes from people who don't pay parking fines. What started as a £60 fine ends up at £600+ when they catch up with you, and if you don't have the cash they will take anything up to that value.
Not worth the risk.