PDA

View Full Version : Triumph Rocket III

a1a
25-10-04, 01:51 AM
I was wondering if the big Triumph cruiser bike was available for the British market? I Demo road tested this bike during Biketoberfest at Daytona Beach, Fl. USA. I was very surprised with the handling of this 58.7 stone cruiser. It was very nimble to ride and took to the curves very well. It rides a lot lighter than it looks. Also the 0 to way past any legal speed limits was impressive. Enough power and torque available to satisfy the sane and the insane. The price tag is probably the only draw back to ownership. But overall I was very impressed!
I would like to here the Pros and Cons from the British market point of view.
Cheers, Richard

Stig
25-10-04, 05:50 AM
I think they look very cool, I would like to have a ride of one, but wouldn't like to own one.

Jabba
25-10-04, 08:40 AM
I was wondering if the big Triumph cruiser bike was available for the British market?

Erm.............it's built here, dude - we had it before you did :lol:

Magic bike, but I don't fancy the tyre bill...........

Akula
25-10-04, 08:47 AM
I was wondering if the big Triumph cruiser bike was available for the British market?

I might be wrong but isn't it built FOR the American market?? to compete with Harleys and so on?? I know we have them over here i thought i read it was for the yankeeeees

Martin (Akula)

Jabba
25-10-04, 08:59 AM

I might be wrong but isn't it built FOR the American market?? to compete with Harleys and so on?? I know we have them over here i thought i read it was for the yankeeeees

Martin (Akula)

I'm sure they'll sell a bucket-load over there and you're probably right on that score.

Just mention the Yankees to a Red-Socks fan :lol:

Cronos
25-10-04, 09:08 AM
I was very surprised with the handling of this 58.7 stone cruiser.

The same has been said of our very own Jabba, although not my me!!! :lol:

Jabba
25-10-04, 09:30 AM
I was very surprised with the handling of this 58.7 stone cruiser.

The same has been said of our very own Jabba, although not my me!!! :lol:

:shock:

I weight far more than that. 58.7stone would be classed as "emaciated" where I come from :lol:

Wiltshire7
25-10-04, 11:00 AM
it has a 2.3 litre engine.... it just seems so incredibly pointless.

someone said the same thing about my shinny new visor, so maybe i have double standards.

jambo
25-10-04, 12:55 PM
I like it,
Seriously powerful without the standard "it must be a race rep then" tag that usually goes with big power and price tags. Not neccessarily for me but would love to have a ride on one.

Moo
25-10-04, 01:12 PM
Not my cup of tea but I've heard they're very good.

Grinch
25-10-04, 01:33 PM
Just to confirm they do sell them over here.. though they are a bit hard to get hold of as I think most go to the States. I think there is a 3 month waiting list.
I would love one for those slow lazy days on the road, nice long journey mabe to the South of France. With that insane ablity to Pi$$ over any one who anoy's you and burn rubber in every gear change.
Plus I've been told that are not 'full power' they've been carmed down! I think normaly they produce 168 foot of torque! rather than the 140 ish..

northwind
25-10-04, 06:04 PM
They've got one in the window of 2 Wheels in Edinburgh, in case anyone's suffering through the waiting list :)

Gforceuk
25-10-04, 06:18 PM
It recieved the highest score they've ever had on bikefile on men and motors..

very nice.

if i thought i could ever pick it up afer dropping it then i might have been interested..

northwind
25-10-04, 06:37 PM
Though from what I've been reading from soem reviews and user reports, you might want to use some of that massive power to carry around a spare clutch...

a1a
25-10-04, 06:50 PM
Just to confirm they do sell them over here.. though they are a bit hard to get hold of as I think most go to the States. I think there is a 3 month waiting list.
I would love one for those slow lazy days on the road, nice long journey mabe to the South of France. With that insane ablity to Pi$$ over any one who anoy's you and burn rubber in every gear change.
Plus I've been told that are not 'full power' they've been carmed down! I think normaly they produce 168 foot of torque! rather than the 140 ish.. Metzeler makes the 150/80 V 17 front and 240/50 V 16 rear tires. Metzeler will only warrant the V rated tires to 140mph. Therefore Triumph has restricted the top speed of the 2.3 Litre engine to 140mph. :shock:
So I guess Triumph Research and Developement are the only ones who know for sure what this bad AZZ bike will do flat out. :wink:

chazzyb
25-10-04, 07:16 PM
Metzeler makes the 150/80 V 17 front and 240/50 V 16 rear tires. Metzeler will only warrant the V rated tires to 140mph. Therefore Triumph has restricted the top speed of the 2.3 Litre engine to 140mph. :shock:
So I guess Triumph Research and Developement are the only ones who know for sure what this bad AZZ bike will do flat out. :wink:

I dunno why they need bother with V-rated tyres. After all, the speed limit in the UK is 70 mph max, so you're not allowed to go any faster. Hence no need for V rated tyres. :wink:

wyrdness
25-10-04, 07:17 PM
Triumph has restricted the top speed of the 2.3 Litre engine to 140mph. :shock:

Not for long, I expect!

a1a
25-10-04, 07:33 PM

Martin (Akula)

I'm sure they'll sell a bucket-load over there and you're probably right on that score.

Just mention the Yankees to a Red-Socks fan :lol:
For whatever reason it seems all the Motorcycle Manufactures are under the impression that big, massive large displacement cruisers is the hot set up for the American Motorcyclist.
Honda started it with the VTX 1800, Yamaha came out with the 1670 RoadStar Warrior, followed by Kawasaki 2000 Vulcan. Than Honda again with the 1832 Rune and Triumph with the 2300 Rocket III. Don't be to surprised when Suzuki comes out with there own version of the big is beautyful motorcycle, sometime in the next couple of years.
I personally think its the big is better syndrome of the manufactures that has carried this way out of proportion. Over here you still don't see that many of these kinds of bikes on the road. Triumph Dealers here didn't get the Rocket III until the end of this summer. I think only 1 or 2 are going to each Triumph Dealer.
They finally tore down and burned Babe Ruth's old house in Boston this year. The Boston Red Sox's haven't won a World Series in baseball since 1918. By the way that was the year, after the World Series that Boston sold the Babe to the Yankees. Which started the curse of Babe Ruth in Boston. The curse that all Red Sox's fans hope has finally been exercised this year. Cheers, Richard

wyrdness
26-10-04, 09:39 AM
"Babe Ruth" - you have female baseball players?
:wink:

a1a
26-10-04, 04:57 PM
"Babe Ruth" - you have female baseball players?
:wink:
No, women can't play Major League baseball. You have to have a bat and two balls to play. :lol:

RenamedMonkey
27-10-04, 12:27 PM
Hmmm

http://www.triumph.co.uk/images/gllry_ROCKETIII_01.jpg

We can safely assume it's for the american market...

http://www.triumph.co.uk/images/gllry_a_rocketIII03.jpg

I'm getting to like this style

http://www.triumph.co.uk/images/gllry_a_rocketIII01.jpg

I rode a Kawa Eliminator when I was visiting my mum in france, obviously it seriously lacked power and throb, but I liked the fact it was easy to ride, felt safe and was very comfortable.

I'll have an 'easy riding' bike as my second bike when I get back from travelling - to take the better half out for sunday trips and holidays to the alps :D

Grinch
27-10-04, 02:36 PM
mmmh.. nice slow days on the rocket.. I need a new job....

RenamedMonkey
27-10-04, 04:37 PM
I think the word that sums up the look of this bike is Vicious, but not in the same way as a Turbo Busa street fighter, no, vicious in the manner that if you drop the bugger it'll take a crane to hoist it back up, and if you burn your leg on that exhaust it'll leave you with 3rd degree burns from toe to hip. I bet it sounds vicious.

northwind
27-10-04, 05:46 PM
One rode past me today, and dismally failed to sound vicious... It was clearly right dow the revs, but it was just whirring, basically. A stock SV sounds better. Still, I think if he'd cracked it open it might have caused an earthquake :)

ophic
27-10-04, 06:00 PM
reports i've heard say the stock cans are very quiet indeed. But I still want one :twisted:

a1a
28-10-04, 06:02 AM
The one I rode at Daytona Beach, Biketoberfest had Triumph performance pipes on it. It also had a small deflector windshield just covering the top of the two lights. It sounded very strong under heavy acceleration and whenever you bliped the throttle open. It also looked bad with that deflector shield installed. The shield protected the chest from wind pretty well up to about 95mph. That was as fast I could go during the ride. I had to shut it down as the guy in front was braking and slowing down for known reason. :? I was just about ready to shift into 4th gear at 95mph too. They told us no passing during the Demo test ride. :(