PDA

View Full Version : Road Tax - now renewable online

Mr Toad
26-10-04, 10:24 AM
For those that haven't spotted it, you can now renew your tax disc online :lol:

The reminder that comes in the post has a reference no. in the top right section, go to the website, enter this, and away you go.

website is www.dvla.gov.uk/vehiclelicence

If you haven't got the reminder in the post, you can still apply online, you just need the Registration No. and the Document Reference No. which is on your V5 (logbook).

The DVLA website 'checks' you have insurance (and an MOT if applicable), and all you do is give it your debit card no. (no credit cards allowed), and it turns up in the post a few days later :lol:

No more having to dig out documents and then trudging off to the post office :roll:

Does kind of raise the question as to why we need a bit of paper that can be stolen, when the details are all computerised anyway :shock:

jonboy
26-10-04, 10:26 AM
Good post Simon, thanks for the info.

Iansv
26-10-04, 10:31 AM
Excellent, Thanks for that, just emailed it round the office

Tara
26-10-04, 10:37 AM
brilliant - I shall be using that :D

Scoobs
26-10-04, 10:39 AM
Doh! Could have done with that info a month ago. :lol:

wyrdness
26-10-04, 11:20 AM
Thanks. Mine's due for renewal now and I was going to do it on Thursday. I hate queuing at the post office. I've still got to go into Chiswick to queue in the bank though :(

Mr Toad
26-10-04, 11:48 AM
I've still got to go into Chiswick to queue in the bank though :(

Why :?:
I bank online. If I need cash, I just scan in the odd tenner and get printing . . . :lol:

wyrdness
26-10-04, 12:20 PM
I've still got to go into Chiswick to queue in the bank though :(

Why :?:
I bank online. If I need cash, I just scan in the odd tenner and get printing . . . :lol:

I do most of my banking online but I find that cheques don't clear if I stuff them into the floppy disk slot.

splke
26-10-04, 12:36 PM
Fantastic, about time too 8)
Good post mate
:P

Sudoxe
26-10-04, 12:57 PM
meep. Bloody thing. Either its broke, or Carole Nash has my money for no good reason....

Insurance could not be found

It has not been possible to locate insurance details for the vehicle on the Motor Insurance Database at this time and you are unable to complete your application for a tax disc using this service.

This does not necessarily mean the vehicle is uninsured.

It could be that your current policy expires shortly before the new Licence Start Date.

If you have recently renewed, updated or changed the Insurance Policy the vehicle details may not yet have been updated on the Motor Insurance Database.

If you have a valid Insurance Certificate or Cover Note...
You will need to apply for the tax disc at a licence-issuing Post OfficeŽ using the reminder (Vehicle Licence Application/SORN Declaration) or the Registration Document/ Certificate together with the Insurance Certificate or Cover Note, MOT Test Certificate (if applicable) and fee.

mysteryjimbo
26-10-04, 02:41 PM
Saves me going the post office this weekend! Great, i like it!

Viney
26-10-04, 02:45 PM
I wuld probably have the same trouble as Dan. My insurance, MOT and tax all run out in the same week. i always have trouble getting it renewed. Still i like the idea of trundling down the road. Its job done, there and then. If they send out the disc special delivery or such lke, then id have to go to the post office to collect it anyway.

Good idea for those in rual areas, and blind people though :?

Sudoxe
26-10-04, 03:04 PM
And blind people need a tax disk because.....

wyrdness
26-10-04, 03:06 PM

For their volvos, of course.

Flamin_Squirrel
26-10-04, 03:09 PM

:lol:

Viney
26-10-04, 06:03 PM

Top man, i like you ;) (You do know i drive a volvo dont you)

Funny story time. An ex girlfriend, her mum and i where out in the car one day when Claire, my ex, piped up and said "Mum, why are threre these dimples on the back of the steering wheel?" "it must be so that blind poepl know where to put thier hands!!" Scary thing was, she meant it. Me, i was an oxygen case in the back of the car...then it dawned on both of them!!! Blondes, you just gotta love em!

coombest
26-10-04, 06:30 PM
Well, one of my old customers was declared blind.
He had a very small amount of sight - so bad that when he wrote a cheque, he had a little template thingumy-bob to keep his signature in the box - I had to fill out the amount! He also had a PC with a 21" monitor, which used to display about 3 words on it at a time so he could read them!

Well, the point of this is that one afternoon when I was round there, he asked me if I'd mind going oit to the garage and unplugging the batery charger so it didn't over-charge the battery!
I was a little nonplussed, so I enquired as to whose car it was!
It was his and he was very proud of the fact that he was still licensed & insured to drive it and that he used to drive it to the shops & back every couple of days! :shock: :shock: :shock:
The same customer used to go skiing!! He would pay an instructor to ski down the hill, with him holding on to his back as he went! The guy was well into his 60s which, for me, makes it even more amazing!

So - any way - anyone in the Peacehaven (East Sussex) area, beware of any white Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0i models that you see with an old fella behind the wheel - it may well be that the driver is actually blind!!! :shock:

Ed
26-10-04, 06:36 PM
Scary story from East Sussex!

Top man Mr Toad, I've just taxed the cage on line - expires 31.10. Saves all the hassle of finding the insurance cert and Q-ing at the Post Office. I spose it means that the PO doesn't get the rake-off from the DVLA for doing the tax disc, but at the rate they're closing POs here in S'bury there won't be any left soon.

timwilky
26-10-04, 07:23 PM
At the club where I used to shoot, there was one member who was almost blind. Scary blind with 0.357
when he went for his driving test, they asked him to read the number plate on the car down the road.

"what car", test cancelled and a letter from swansea 3 days later asking for the return of his provisional licence. Lucky ******* can always get ****ed as it will never be his turn to drive :lol:

BTW why does this forum keep putting ***** in my words. what is wrong with barsteward or p155ed anyway

Blue Flame
26-10-04, 09:07 PM
Hate to be a scaremongerer but I can find no link to this website from DVLA's home page. None of the instructions on DVLA's website http://www.dvla.gov.uk/welcome.htm indicate that you can pay online. Also when you click on the link at the start of this thread it takes you to another site http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/.

Just a thought but it may be worth checking it out before you hand money over. If I have missed an official link from the DVLA site then apologies for the oversight.

Stig
26-10-04, 09:12 PM
excellant, thanks for the news :thumbsup:

Shame I will be loosing my internet connection very soon :cry:

Mr Toad
26-10-04, 11:43 PM
Hate to be a scaremongerer but I can find no link to this website from DVLA's home page. None of the instructions on DVLA's website http://www.dvla.gov.uk/welcome.htm indicate that you can pay online. Also when you click on the link at the start of this thread it takes you to another site http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/.

Just a thought but it may be worth checking it out before you hand money over. If I have missed an official link from the DVLA site then apologies for the oversight.

I got the details from the renewal form that came in the post from the DVLA. If it's a scam, then it's a good one :lol:
once you put the reference no. in from the form, it returns all the bike details. Of course if my tax disc doesn't turn up in a few days . . . :shock:

Cloggsy
27-10-04, 12:07 AM
Yay... 'bout time too :!:

BillyC
27-10-04, 08:39 AM
I've just done this, and renewed my SV tax online.... easy peasy! 5 working days and the tax disc will be at my door! :)

Bill

wyrdness
27-10-04, 10:24 AM
On the subject of nearly blind drivers:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3954531.stm

Mr Toad
30-10-04, 10:56 PM
My tax disc arrived this morning :lol:

The Mass
31-10-04, 02:19 PM
Si,

You Star Boy!

You've just saved me a trip to the bloody post office on Satdee morn.

Owe ye a pint :wink:

Ed
31-10-04, 08:30 PM
Mine arrived Friday, so took 3 days. Much better than standing in line in the post office - in Telford you'd wait about as long :roll:

wheelnut
31-10-04, 09:33 PM
So what do I write on the little slip of paper, where I used to write

"Tax in Post"

I suppose I could write "Tax applied for due to slow dial up connection"

Otherwise a good idea, and the insurance database is an even better one :P

howardr
11-11-04, 10:36 AM
Not only is this the slowest website in history, it keeps rejecting my reference number!

Waste of f*ckin' time!

BillyC
11-11-04, 10:46 AM
Not only is this the slowest website in history, it keeps rejecting my reference number!

Waste of f*ckin' time!

I'm sorry it didn't work for you, but it certainly didn't waste my time... it must've saved me hours of faffing around looking for documents, getting to the post office, standing in queue etc etc etc.

howardr
11-11-04, 12:30 PM
Nuts!

So I keep trying - getting nowhere.

So I try to do it by phone - "vehicle not found".

So I finally get through to a PERSON :shock: (press 1 for this, 2 for that blah, blah)

Turns out I can't do it until the 15th of the month in which the tax expires! So I check the reminder all over, and lo and behold, in the middle of the document, amongst some totally unrelated tosh about SORN - it tells you.

Why the f*** don't they put that totally essential piece of information in the section called "How to apply on the internet"?!!! :evil: :evil:

PS: I'm posting this here because I KNOW that other people won't realise that you have to wait until the 15th.

johnlowe
11-11-04, 06:22 PM
Nuts!
PS: I'm posting this here because I KNOW that other people won't realise that you have to wait until the 15th.
But surely it has ALWAYS been the case that you cannot renew a tax disc until at least 15 days that it is due to expire.

That was the case in the days when it was handled by Local Authorities (before the creation of DVLC) and has been ever since. Why should it be different online?

It seems a sensible precaution to avoid prople renewing their tax before their insurance expires or a new MOT is needed.

howardr
12-11-04, 09:33 AM
You're quite right - and I was just having a bit of a rant. Trouble is, once I had got my reminder, I just considered that you should be able to purchase the tax disk.

Maybe I just got the reminder too early! :shock:

Moo
12-11-04, 11:41 AM
I'll give it a go next time mine is due.

howardr
15-11-04, 01:42 PM
Well I did it!

How easy was that?

Nice one DVLA :D

Let's just hope the Royal Mail don't **** it up now ... :?

Ed
15-11-04, 02:29 PM
you should get the tax disc in about 3 - 4 days, it's a brilliant service.

Anonymous
15-11-04, 03:53 PM
Its actually for once an fantastic innovation, I did it today, it was so bloody easy.

Nagai
16-11-04, 09:56 PM
Are you taxing the SV, Mass?

It must be due about now???

Professor
25-02-05, 09:08 AM
I have a feeling that the online vehicle tax renewal service is
being discontinued or, at least, it is not available to everyone.
Firstly, I could not find this service listed on the DVLA website.
So I went to Mr Toad's original post and followed the direct link he
suggested

www.dvla.gov.uk/vehiclelicence

This page does indeed offer the possibility of buying a tax disc
online. However, I was required to produce a certain reference
number which was supposed to be displayed in the yellow section of
the renewal reminder. In my renewal reminder the yellow section
was empty apart from the phrase This box is for official use only.

At this point I decided to stop experimenting and go to the Post
Office.

25-02-05, 09:24 AM
you can enter either that reference no, or your v5c log book reference no.

This is the number of the newtyoe log books they have sent out!

Cloggsy
25-02-05, 09:33 AM

Tried both... This doesn't work for me either :roll:

The Mass
25-02-05, 09:36 AM
Are you taxing the SV, Mass?

It must be due about now???

I missed this thread you cheeky git!

you're soooo funny! ... :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

Professor
25-02-05, 09:38 AM

My log book is of the old type. I received a new log book for my bike but
not for either of my cages.

Anonymous
25-02-05, 08:40 PM
cool i would use that as my car tax runs out on monday but i have lost my v5, didnt inform dvla of my new address (moved in june 04) and reminder send to old address

so monday involves a wee trip to glasgow with insurance, driving licence and utility bill to tax car

:oops:

Cloggsy
25-02-05, 08:42 PM
My log book is of the old type.

Mine's the new type & it still didn't work :roll:

chazzyb
26-02-05, 08:48 AM
didnt inform dvla of my new address (moved in june 04)

"You can run, but you can't hide" :P

Big Bad Al
26-02-05, 08:45 PM
got mine in Jan like this - very convenient. Worth knowing that you can still attract a fine in theory, even if you have applied and are waiting for it to come thru in the post......