PDA

View Full Version : Insurance...

BillyC
28-10-04, 08:40 AM
Okay, this is possibly about to become a major biking issue for me, and I know it's an old subject, but I need to ask about people's experiences, as well as the obvious info.

As some of you know I've recently moved up to London, and this nicely coincides with my insurance renewal due in a couple of weeks.

They've just quoted me £1119 TPFT with 1 year NCD for EC1R!

Erm... far from ideal, and it's only a naked, though admittedly parked in the street. I think I'm probably going to have to drop down to Third Party only.

So, who lives in London and thinks they can give me some tips on how to improve this situation? Insurance companies and telephone numbers would be nice!

DeeJay
28-10-04, 08:45 AM
try roadsure insurance... they were by far the cheapest for me... not too sure of the number... but they do have a website...

Iansv
28-10-04, 08:47 AM
Best to ring around and play them off against each other... you should be able to knock some off....

BillyC
28-10-04, 08:55 AM
Roadsure are the ones that quoted me £1119!

Moriarty
28-10-04, 09:00 AM
I had the same problem. Quoted in four figures for TPFT from the usual suspects but had a much better time with H&R Insurance services.

http://www.insurance2000.co.uk

The cover I have seems fine even when you read the small print and they did quote me under 500 squids for the same cover with the ususal attachments (i.e. 250 Excess etc...)

Hope this helps.

Gforceuk
28-10-04, 09:02 AM
move out of london ?

sorry.. i dont like the place myself.

i'm paying 199 tpft .. and i've only just passed my bike test... there are plenty of benefits from not living down south.. ;)

have you looking on www.confused.com and seeing what the cheapest quotes are on there.

AlanSv
28-10-04, 09:20 AM
if the bike isnt garaged, then you're screwed in the EC1 (Aldgate/Whitechapel?) areas.

Bennetts are who I'm insured with, and they seem ok, but its all based on the same PostCode risky areas

BillyC
28-10-04, 11:56 AM
H&R have done well with £253.40 3PO, and £531.65 3PFT. Does anyone know what they're like with Race Cans?

Bennetts website died on me, so might give them a quick call. Any info on their Race Can policy?

Carole Nash have come forward with £321 3PO, and £550 ish for 3PFT "if it was garaged" :roll:

chutz
28-10-04, 12:13 PM
Ah, young Billy. At least by living in London your insurance quotes will make you feel like you are a teenager agin :lol:

coombest
28-10-04, 12:19 PM
Bennetts website died on me, so might give them a quick call. Any info on their Race Can policy?

You're better off ringing companies any way... You'll generally get a better deal that way!

I dread to think what my insurance would be like if I was in your situation!
My renewal came through the other day... SV650S, alphadot, alarmed/immobilised, garaged & ground anchored, in Eastbourne (hardly the crime central of the UK!!) with 1 year's NCB...

£450.99!!!

Still... better than last year's by a mile! That was £850!!

(So I must be wrong thinking that 1 year's NCB is a 10% discount!!?)

Viney
28-10-04, 12:40 PM
Okay, this is possibly about to become a major biking issue for me, and I know it's an old subject, but I need to ask about people's experiences, as well as the obvious info.

As some of you know I've recently moved up to London, and this nicely coincides with my insurance renewal due in a couple of weeks.

Erm... far from ideal, and it's only a naked, though admittedly parked in the street. I think I'm probably going to have to drop down to Third Party only.

So, who lives in London and thinks they can give me some tips on how to improve this situation? Insurance companies and telephone numbers would be nice!

Billy

I know it will probably be bad, but you really do have to call EVERy insurance company under the sun. DOnt do 2-3, you really need to do 20-30!!! Teadious i know. I am one of these people, who is determined to get a lower quote, and normal do. My current one £117, was a good £90 under my lowest. Its perceverance, simple as that.

My bike is in the street, just an alarm.

Out of interest, how much was last years premium?

It used to be 33% before any insurance increases.

Ok some companies, that have in the past gave good quotes for me!

The AA
Direct choice (my current insurers)
Footman James
Bennetts

In my experience, stay away from the big boys. They know that they are usualy cheaper than thier main rivals, so hopeing that people will go with them. I have found in the past that the more obscure, and smaller companies are better. GEt MCN, and the yellow pages out, and let your fingers do the walking!

DONT TELL THEM ABOUT YOUR CAN.

Allie
28-10-04, 01:07 PM

Billy

I know it will probably be bad, but you really do have to call EVERy insurance company under the sun. DOnt do 2-3, you really need to do 20-30!!! Teadious i know. I am one of these people, who is determined to get a lower quote, and normal do. My current one £117, was a good £90 under my lowest. Its perceverance, simple as that.

My bike is in the street, just an alarm.

Out of interest, how much was last years premium?

It used to be 33% before any insurance increases.

Ok some companies, that have in the past gave good quotes for me!

The AA
Direct choice (my current insurers)
Footman James
Bennetts

In my experience, stay away from the big boys. They know that they are usualy cheaper than thier main rivals, so hopeing that people will go with them. I have found in the past that the more obscure, and smaller companies are better. GEt MCN, and the yellow pages out, and let your fingers do the walking!

DONT TELL THEM ABOUT YOUR CAN.

Mmmm.... :-k

Being Devil's Advocate...if you were in an accident (god forbid) and you hadn't declared your can, I guess your insurance would be invalid. I don't think that's an intelligent thing to. There was a thread on here a while back about this very sort of thing with a tragic outcome.

But then I guess it's down to individuals at the end of the day :)

jonboy
28-10-04, 01:23 PM
Being Devil's Advocate...if you were in an accident (god forbid) and you hadn't declared your can, I guess your insurance would be invalid.

I don't think that's necessarily so. If the can doesn't add (in real world terms) to the performance of the bike (and contrary to manufacturers' specs and sales talk, most don't) and if the accident was in no way contributed to by the can, then there's really little legal basis for them to claim that the policy is void. After all if you put in a brand of "performance" spark plugs or used a higher octane fuel (Optimax etc) would they then similarly void the policy? No.

Ideally I have to agree that informing your insurance company that you have a non-standard can is by far the most sensible route, something which I've done myself, though Carol Nash (in accordance with their Ikons policy) didn't give two hoots.

The other factor of course, is that a replacement Suzuki exhaust system is far more expensive than a race can and the insurance company benefit from this if you have to make a claim as it costs them less to replace it.

However, if the can produced a significant amount more power than standard that really would be a different matter (I think 5% is most insurance companies' tolerance).

Allie
28-10-04, 01:53 PM
Being Devil's Advocate...if you were in an accident (god forbid) and you hadn't declared your can, I guess your insurance would be invalid.

I don't think that's necessarily so. If the can doesn't add (in real world terms) to the performance of the bike (and contrary to manufacturers' specs and sales talk, most don't) and if the accident was in no way contributed to by the can, then there's really little legal basis for them to claim that the policy is void. After all if you put in a brand of "performance" spark plugs or used a higher octane fuel (Optimax etc) would they then similarly void the policy? No.

Ideally I have to agree that informing your insurance company that you have a non-standard can is by far the most sensible route, something which I've done myself, though Carol Nash (in accordance with their Ikons policy) didn't give two hoots.

The other factor of course, is that a replacement Suzuki exhaust system is far more expensive than a race can and the insurance company benefit from this if you have to make a claim as it costs them less to replace it.

However, if the can produced a significant amount more power than standard that really would be a different matter (I think 5% is most insurance companies' tolerance).

Yes I quite agree with you. I think it is sensible to declare any modification. It's best to be up front and honest.

I just remember reading a thread (I think it was on this forum) about a guy who tragically was killed in a bike accident. When they came to investigate the accident the insurers discovered that the bike was not fitted with the standard exhaust (the guy had another one fitted) for that make of bike and this had not been declared when the policy was taken out and the insurance company declared the policy void. I'm not sure if the exhaust added to the perforamance of the bike or not, but the outcome was extremely harsh on his wife and young family.

I don't mean to be morbid but or put a downer on things but I feel that it's naive to think that it's best not to mention that you have a race can fitted to your bike if that is the case. Always best to check this sort of thing out when shopping around for insurance.

wigan650s
28-10-04, 02:45 PM
just had my renewal,carole nash quoted me 680 quid with 2 years no claims but you do get some good extras like breakdown recovery.anyhows i phoned round and eventually got round to express insurance...really friendly,bloke i talked to was a biker as well so knew his stuff,sounds weird but he made me feel special like he was my bestest mate,propably all well trained bull**** but it works,anyhow he also got me the best quote by far 450 quid fully comp with loads of extras,breakdown recovery, puncture repair or recovery,green card,2 bike policy if i want to buy a winter hack or a green laner.pillion provision,unlimited mileage etc

no is 01213867720 if you try them quote reference jepx003

pepe
28-10-04, 03:50 PM
I live in SE16 and pay £410. TPFT with 2 years NCB, Alarm, chain,disc lock, parked of street, this is with Bennetts. I renewed on 10th Oct and still haven't recieved ant documents from them yet ( I normally call them about once a week about this ).

I work in ECI and there is a lot of little b%$&^*ds from the Kings Cross area who will come into EC1 and try to steal, brake, scratch your bike. They have even jumped people leaving work who are getting there pushbikes out of the garage :evil: !! Get yourself a big chain & lock !!

They stole my old cagiva about 2 years ago ( just to wheelie and crash etc )and the police wouldn't go into the estate to collect/follow the stolen bikes as they would get paving slabs thrown at them from the roof :shock: a guy for a motorcycle recovery firm had dents all over his van to prove it.

MrMessy
29-10-04, 04:28 PM
Ring round, thats the only way. bike insurance varies dramatically. Bennetts quoted me £88TPFT! Carole Nash was the cheapest for a multi bike policy. They all appear to have different rates from the same insurer's!

adam
02-12-04, 09:58 PM
Granted UB3 isn't quite london, it's as expensive as being there with heathrow and so much business/crime in the area. Passed my test a week ago and just bought a new SV650s, insurance is £828 fully comp on the street with £250 xs. I think that is very good. Insurance through www.insurance2000.co.uk (H&R as a broker), other larger companies/brokers seemed to quote double that!

TSM
02-12-04, 10:06 PM
I also looked at H&R Insurance 2000, they are the only reasonable quote i got.

Spec Quoted: SV650S 2000 £2500
I was being asked by other people min £1400 -£2000 TPFT (commuting uptp 4999 miles)

By H&R it was £789 TPFT upto 7000 miles, Business Class 1, no security needed, any road leagal mods allowed, leagal insurance, £250 excess.

I was surprised, as i will be a new rider from DAS, 22, SE15 (peckham), not garraged, and that is also with 1 car accident.

nuntius
02-12-04, 11:20 PM
I'm just about to receive my ex demo sv650 with a thousand miles on the clock. I found the cheapest insurer was Biketeam, who quoted me about 650, 500 ex, single bike, but i'm only 20 and have had my license a month. Check them out.

Patch
02-12-04, 11:28 PM
You've got to phone em all and then keep going round them playing them off against one another. Let them know that you really want to go with them.

I had to sort new insurance when I bought the GS and my previous wouldn't touch multi bike. in the end I went with CN on their Omni policy as I can add the car as well

Fully Comp for GS1150 Adv Value 8500 and Honda VFR value 3500 was £450

This was £30 cheaper than I was paying TPFT for the VFR alone.

I don't understand how they work this stuff out

Carsick
03-12-04, 12:13 AM
I still maintain that they pluck a figure out of their **** and double it.
I'm campaigning for the introduction of the death sentence for C.E.O.s of insurance companies, not for any specific crime, just for doing that job. :wink:

Carsick
03-12-04, 12:15 AM
btw, I pay £800 £350 ex FC for a K4 SV,1 year NCB, no security, no garage, 23 years old, previous car accident, conviction for no insurance, license for almost 1 year.
Looking at car insurance, they want more than that for a small crappy car just for tpft.

nuntius
03-12-04, 12:31 AM
btw, I pay £800 £350 ex FC for a K4 SV,1 year NCB, no security, no garage, 23 years old, previous car accident, conviction for no insurance, license for almost 1 year.
Looking at car insurance, they want more than that for a small crappy car just for tpft.

I feel sick, they really do just pluck a figure out of the air. There is no consistency between insurers. Some quoted me 700, some 2100.

Who are you with?

Carsick
03-12-04, 12:32 AM
Xpress, which are cofield, my actual policy is equity red star.

timwilky
03-12-04, 08:52 AM
Ok I am out in the sticks, with a garage 1 years NCB, Bennets/Equity Red Star.

£163 FC

As the man said. Move, surely that grand you could save would cover your additional commuting costs and prices of accomodation etc would be substantially lower as well

Nekkid
03-12-04, 09:14 AM
Yes I quite agree with you. I think it is sensible to declare any modification. It's best to be up front and honest.

It's not only sensible, it's a must.
Jonboy, if you have an undeclared can on your bike and have a crash, they wont try to prove that the can contributed and they wont even care how much extra power it gave. They'll point to the bit in the policy that sayes 'if you make any modifications you have to declare' and void your policy.

Shuggie
03-12-04, 10:03 AM
I live in London and park it on the street as well. H&R were by far the best quote I got. That was with no no claims bonus and taking into acount previous claims for a stolen scooter plus stolen cbr600. Think its time to get out of Dodge city!