PDA

View Full Version : Happy / Sad - new bike

Twit
29-10-04, 09:13 AM
Bought a new bike last night...

I'm heading overland to Oz as of April and last night I bought the bike to hopefully get me there!!! Having narrowed the choice down to the BMW 1150 and KTM 950 Adventure I plumped for the KTM. Not the obvious choice but the KTM seemed better built, better finished, built of higher quality components. much much more fun and cheaper (ish!)...

Anyway dealer gave me a pretty blinding deal so I pick it up next week. Now is a good time to buying a bike - it is very very quiet out there.

So it is bye to the SV, it has been an awesome bike and having checked the record I stuffed something like 4000 miles on it in the last 3 months in all weather. It has never let me down and has been great great fun!

I'm going to stay on here, I'll bore people with KTM tales....

Cheers

Scoobs
29-10-04, 09:29 AM
Nice bike mate. The cross country thing sounds blinding. Before my time is up I hope to do a road trip. Ride across the US or Oz or something like that.

Good luck.

Jabba
29-10-04, 09:38 AM
I plumped for the KTM. Not the obvious choice but the KTM seemed better built, better finished, built of higher quality components. much much more fun and cheaper (ish!)...

Good luck with the trip - sounds like one of those "once in a lifetime" jobbies.

I would have thought that things like reliability and tank-range would be important on a trip like the one you have planned. Just hope that the KTM delivers and doesn't leave you stranded.

Hope that your ar*e is made of leather, too :lol:

Twit
29-10-04, 09:46 AM
Indeed!!!!

The only thing I could find that the BMW had the upper hand was tank size. The KTM is 22 litres whereas the 1150 Adventure is 30 - the standard 1150 and 1200 GS are both 22. In terms of carrying kit etc they are much of a muchness - paniers are the same size etc. As for the saddle I have gone for the option of a 20 mm lower gel seat - I'll see how it goes and if need be I'll get a new one made up...

As for riding the KTM handles much better, is narrower, lighter and quicker. Parts supply seems OK and there are plenty or dealers across the route. Hopefully it will be fine. I've bought it now so that I can run it for 6 months as a shakedown and take in a couple of long trips - highlands, S of France etc....

I leave work today so I have plenty of time!!! ;)

Stig
29-10-04, 10:24 AM
WOW :shock: :shock: hope you really enjoy your trip. Sounds fantastic. Really envious (god damn pesky kids) :lol: :lol:

Don't forget many many photos, and maybe you could get a chance to post a few whilst you are over there and make us all even more jealous :thumbsup:

Twit
29-10-04, 10:38 AM
I'll be posting tales and pics from the whole trip on my page on the following site:

www.horizonsunlimited.com

My bit is not set up yet but it will be... If you get the chance while away an hour or so reading some of the trip reports, they are amazing. I really can't wait to go! Still got to wait 6 months though.

I'll also try to make a ride out with the KTM - they are fantastic machines and I'm yet to actually see one other then the demo I tried on the road! They are fairly imposing!!!!

Stig
29-10-04, 10:42 AM
coooool :thumbsup:

Patch
29-10-04, 10:50 AM
Which way are you going? One way or return?

I have started planning something similar. decided on the 1150 Adv.

Twit
29-10-04, 11:03 AM
When we get to Oz we are not sure... We will either ship back or, if I get my way ;) we'll ship over to the Southern tip of S America and head up...

We have not got a time limit as we are selling everything for the trip so just have to wait and see really. The route at present is Southern Europe to Turkey then Iran, Pakistan, India, Nepal, tibet, China. We will head into Laos, Vietnam and Thailand on foot as you can't get big engined bikes into Vietnam and Laos is getting more difficult. The bike will stay with friends in China. Then back on it, ship to Darwin and head round Oz. The only issue with this route is the Iran / Pakistan bit... This week I have heard that Iran is beginning to close down even more and it is very difficult to get into Pakistan... Mainly due to the events in iraq and Afganistan. Iran is actually meant to be very very safe, friendly and amazing. The problem is Bush (****) stood up and said they part of the axis of Evil, how stupid, he said it at the time when Iran was starting to open and at least link with the west. The guy really is a complete monkey! We can only hope...

The 1150 ADV is a top bike, it just did not really suit me. I found it very heavy and by comparison to the KTM is rode like a tractor. That said more people have done this journey on that bike so there is a better chance of quick repair if things do go wrong. Shaft drive is also useful - I am having a touting Scottoiler fitted to the KTM. I guess it is horses for courses - have you tried the 950? If not go and have a go... ;)

Scoobs
29-10-04, 11:06 AM
I guess you are watching "The Long Way Round" with some interest then?

Twit
29-10-04, 11:41 AM
Yeah!!! But a mate is videoing them for me!!!! They were going to go on 950s....

Another fantastic DVD is Mondo Enduro and Terra Circa. A bunch of nutters from London way who went round the world and across Siberia... One of the guys was a teacher on the 'that'll teach them' programme...

Peter Henry
29-10-04, 12:41 PM
Hey Twit.... I am afraid that my preferred ride for your adventure would definitely have been a FS1E Yamaha! Enjoy mate and keep us posted on your progress! 8)

wigan650s
29-10-04, 12:49 PM
Hey Twit.... I am afraid that my preferred ride for your adventure would definitely have been a FS1E Yamaha! Enjoy mate and keep us posted on your progress! 8)

dont be stupid......honda"plac" c90 with knobblies,could propably do it on one tank of petrol as well,oh and you get the coolest of all top boxes to keep a thermos and some ham sandwiches in

chazzyb
29-10-04, 12:52 PM

dont be stupid......honda"plac" c90 with knobblies,could propably do it on one tank of petrol as well,oh and you get the coolest of all top boxes to keep a thermos and some ham sandwiches in

And do some pizza deliveries on the way to pay for petrol. :lol:

Iansv
29-10-04, 12:54 PM
Soooooooooooooooooo jealous.....

Will keep an eye on the site......

how long are you expecting it to take/cost ?

Patch
29-10-04, 01:38 PM
Have a decent plan B for Pakistan.

Some guys from UK GSer were unable to get in as they had been expecting to get the visas whilst in Iran and the pakistan embassy in Tehran will no longer issue visas to foriegn (non Iranians) there. They did offer to do so if the British Embassy would sanction the visa but Britain currently has a travel advisory on Pakistan and so they wouldn't.

So Patch's top tip is make sure that the visas are all arranged and in your possession before you depart.

China sounds a great idea, I don't know many who have adventure travelled by bike there.

Twit
29-10-04, 01:41 PM
Timewise I have not really thought!!!

I guess at least a year to get to Australia, from then I don't know. As I said the house etc is being sold so there is no real rush, if we are away a year so be it, if it is five years that is fine too...

Cost, again not thought in too much detail. Obviously the bike is being bought but all the clothes etc we have. Running costs should be much less once out of Europe. I'm reckoning on something like 5-8 grand to get to Oz, once there I have an unrestricted academic visa that I can work on so I may need to resort to work!

Twit
29-10-04, 01:44 PM
Patch

Good stuff!

That was kind of what I was thinking - that said the situation seems to change day in day out so who knows what it will be like when we set off...

When are you going? Could meet on route!

Warren
30-10-04, 01:05 PM
its the kind of adventure id absolutely love to go on . but i dont think im brave enough. . .

best of luck - yeah , we all await the photo's

So Jelous . . . . was thinking of taking my g/f round france in the summer tho so thats a start :)