PDA

View Full Version : Carole Nash Insurance:

MrMessy
29-10-04, 04:19 PM
Recently purchased a small bike has a runabout, rang Carol Nash to add it to my multi-bike policy(RSA Icon). Sorry sir this policy does not cover bikes below 200cc or Harleys apparently! You will have to take out a seperate policy, which would cost me nearly has much as my normal policy! Nothing in my policy docs about this limitation, rang underwriters who said it was Carol Nash who set criteria of policy? Ended up changing policy to Norwich Union which was dearer than my renewal with RSA. CN did eventually waive their £31 brokers fee, soon to be £40(this presumably is on top of commissions/bonuses from the insurance companies!) Anyway the main reason for this posting is to warn you to check with your insurer's before you buy a bike do not assume your current policy will cover it, apparently different companies have different restrictions(some will not insure KTM's). I have also found in the past CN are O/K on one bike but they regularily mess it up on multi-bike policies, especially midterm alterations!

Iansv
29-10-04, 04:22 PM
Had the same thing with bennetts when I got my SV, They wouldn't change the policy from my gpz to an sv, hence i lost a years no claims thru their awkwardness

chazzyb
29-10-04, 04:58 PM
Some in the classic bike fraternity are finding Carol Nash now more expensive than some alternatives. I use Footman James. I have to be a member of the VMCC as a condition of the policy, but that's not exactly expensive. I'd guess it's not a requirement of theirs for modern bike policies. The prime bike on my policy is a 1953 AJS single, with the SV as an addition.

MrMessy
29-10-04, 06:18 PM
Carol Nash was dearer to have a classic has the main bike. All the others classed the SV has the main bike. All the "free" extras made CN's the best value in the end.

bluebell
29-10-04, 06:41 PM
I am insured with CN, but won't be using them again. I questioned some details on hubbys renewal about mileage and during the confersation i mentioned that my policy did not have my limited milage printed on the certificate of insurance I did not think about it when i checked the details at the time. This guy at CN then informed me that accoreding to his computer that my annual milage was only for 2k and if i wanted to up't this they would require a further payment of just short of £30.00 quid. I already had 3k on the bike so had to pay up. Not impressed with these guys at all. I had to stick we this company or lose another full yaers no claims.

MrMessy
29-10-04, 07:12 PM
Bluebell,
£30 seems steep, maybe their mid-term adjustment charge? They had me down for 2000 miles on each bike but said an extra 1000 would not be a problem. Unless you do consistently above 2000 miles each year you maybe able to claim special circumstances for 1 year. I have had problems with them on a number of occasions. The other year they changed my company, I specifically asked if the terms where the same including business use, they said it was. When docs arrived no business use, rang them wanted extra £20 odd. Could not get through to them it was their problem, ended up writing to them. Sent revised docs through. no apologisy or covering letter! When checking on internet, mileage did not make much difference, some companies are unlimited mileage as standard.

northwind
29-10-04, 07:52 PM
Highway, who insured my Yam, were both great and awful... When I had to switch t from garaged to street, the total extra charge for the remaining 6 months was- wait for it- £1.62. So they waived it entirely. They also increased my mileage from 3000 to 5000 for free.

On the other hand, when it came up for renewal the quote went from £160 fully comp on CBT with no experience or no claims, to £392 fully comp with a full license and a year's no claims...

bluebell
29-10-04, 07:54 PM
Yep it was steep, but if you read the small print about if you need to make a claim, and you are "x" amount of miles over the stated annual milage you are then charged extra ontop of your excess for i think in units of per 100 miles. Could work out very expensive.

p.s Hubby says he would give up riding before using CN again, they swopped his insurance compannies for what was sopoesed to be like for like but was'nt, when his certificate of insurence came through his excess went from £250 to £500 and lower milage. Can't repeat what he has just called them.