PDA

View Full Version : should i confess?

Anonymous
31-10-04, 10:46 PM
i got done for speeding a while back and got my licence back with 3 points imprinted on it. my insurance is not due for renewal till June and March respectively. should I telephone and own up or wait til renewal date? :cry:

Gforceuk
31-10-04, 10:51 PM
if you have a bump or anything before renwal then you can say goodbye to a payout.

snoopy
31-10-04, 10:52 PM
I tried repeatedly on my 3 points but couldn't get through so give up.

Iansv
31-10-04, 10:54 PM
you should tell them, any excuse for them to not pay out....

Plus from what ive been told mst insurers dont give a damn about 3 points anyway

Grinch
01-11-04, 12:29 AM
Also you don't need to tell them if you have had any 'fixed penatlies', as if you look as most insurance froms it asked if you have been 'convicted' (too my knowledge I could be wrong but I'd check). As I know as I have, as it requires you to stand in a nice dock behind a screen while some guy who hates bikers twists all you words. But that justic for you, when I desivered it the first time I got off lightly. When it wasn't, I get my 'ar$3' chewed off.

Stig
01-11-04, 06:48 AM
Tell them, as has been said, if it was a fixed penalty fine for say an sp30 it wont effect your insurance premium anyway, but if you dont tell em and and they find out your in poop

Ed
01-11-04, 07:05 AM
... and then done for no insurance.

chutz
01-11-04, 08:39 AM
your first confession in years Hazel? :lol:

Jabba
01-11-04, 09:49 AM

Nope - they've given her a parking space at the church................ :wink:

Anonymous
01-11-04, 01:30 PM

Nope - they've given her a parking space at the church................ :wink:

i would get struck by lightning if i was to step into a church. i own up to nothing - it wasnt me honest :lol:

Jabba
01-11-04, 02:00 PM
Also you don't need to tell them if you have had any 'fixed penatlies', as if you look as most insurance froms it asked if you have been 'convicted' (too my knowledge I could be wrong but I'd check).

Depends what the "fixed penalty" was for. Anything that means your licence being endorsed is a "conviction" for insurance purposes. Sure, you don't need to declare most parking fines, but there are some that you do since they are endorsible (e.g. parking on the zig-zag lines of a pedestrian crossing).

As I know as I have, as it requires you to stand in a nice dock behind a screen while some guy who hates bikers twists all you words.

Not true, I'm afraid. Consider the "conditional offer" that usually accompanies a NIP following a Gatso flash - that "conditional offer" is in lieu of a Court appearance but you can choose to go to Court if you like. Accepting the conditional offer is the same as being convicted in Court and you'll get points/fine. Ditto a fixed penalty notice from a uniformed copper in a jam-butty if your stopped for speeding.

But that justic for you, when I desivered it the first time I got off lightly. When it wasn't, I get my 'ar$3' chewed off.

Sounds like they gave you the benefit of the doubt in the first case and then took your previous convictions into account following subsequent offences.

How long before your points are considered "spent"?

BaggaZee
01-11-04, 03:15 PM
I confessed to 3points and it didn't affect my premium.
The number of times you hear about insurance firms not paying out because they didn't know that you'd modified the bike with a new keyring or whatever, it's just not worth it if it all goes wrong. My tuppence worth. :)

Baldyman
01-11-04, 05:56 PM
Guess I'll have to own up to my three then :(
Tell you what NT, you show em yours and I'll....................................wait for you to let me know how it went :oops:

Tigerrrr.......
01-11-04, 09:29 PM
Will you not need to inform the IAM as well, Hazel???

I think you have to sign a declaration at renewal anyway.

Grrr...

StuP100
01-11-04, 09:37 PM
My Girlfriend got three points and as it was her first year of driving we were debating the same thing. In the end we told them and as has already been said the premium remained exactly the same. So best do it as they will try anything to get out of paying out in the unfortunate event of an accident. Just thought it would help reinforce your decision!

Anonymous
02-11-04, 03:36 PM

Grrr...

signed renewal form a week before got points so at the date of signature i did not have points actually on my licence :oops:

Cloggsy
02-11-04, 03:38 PM

Grrr...

signed renewal form a week before got points so at the date of signature i did not have points actually on my licence :oops:

Say nothing & worry not my girl :wink:

ArtyLady
02-11-04, 06:05 PM

Grrr...

I am planning to take my advanced test soon - if you do cop some points and you tell the IAM - what happens - do you have to retake your test or do you get named and shamed at the monthly meeting or wot :? :lol:

Ed
02-11-04, 06:13 PM
Mate gave me the form, you can't take the test if you have > 7 points. Dunno if they kick you out if you've passed already though.

Tigerrrr.......
03-11-04, 12:06 AM
You have to tell the IAM of any change in circumstances at any time, not just at renewal.

I remember this as I got 3 points years ago for momentarily parking my car on a zig-zag crossing. IAM sent me a wrist smacking letter.

You may not think your points are relevant and say nothing, but they may affect your insurance and the last thing you want is a claim to be rejected.

It's your choice, but do you really want to risk losing your bike and having a counter claim???

A wrist slapping is better....in my opinion.

Grrr...

Anonymous
03-11-04, 12:09 AM
iam not interested until you have over 7 points. then they frown at you, especially if you are the secretary for the group :oops:

but im not a car member just bike member nad i was done for speeding in my car so its alright really :lol:

going to phone insurance tomorrow, as i only pay £192 fully comp it shouldnt really make too much difference (fingers crossed)

ArtyLady
03-11-04, 02:29 PM
going to phone insurance tomorrow, as i only pay £192 fully comp it shouldnt really make too much difference (fingers crossed)

shouldnt make any difference my hubby has 6 points :oops: told his insurance but they didnt increase the premium, neither did mine he is a named driver on my car insurance. :)

Anonymous
03-11-04, 06:04 PM
when my hubby was named as a rider on my insurance it went up coz he had 3 points, so i divorced him :lol:

M65
04-11-04, 08:03 AM
when my hubby was named as a rider on my insurance it went up coz he had 3 points, so i divorced him :lol:

Seems like a good enough reason to me! :shock:

Anonymous
04-11-04, 08:10 AM
yeah :twisted:

Anonymous
04-11-04, 03:50 PM
just phoned bennetts and confessed and it has made no difference to my premium. just got the car insurance to do now. im one happy bunny :lol:

Anonymous
04-11-04, 03:56 PM
oh and no increase on car policy either :lol: