PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas or other?

a1a
09-11-04, 03:04 AM
I'm contemplating getting new riding gear. Jacket, Pants, Gloves and Boots. I'm looking for something that can be worn year round if neccessary. I would prefer cloth over leather, but still must be warm in the winter. Anybody have any suggestions or Pros and Cons they would like to share. Also being a frugal person the price is very important to me also. Thanks in advance! Richard

Tris
09-11-04, 07:26 AM
Richard

The Spada Podium & Circuit (jacket/trousers but can't remember which way round) kit got a good write up over here.

I bought the trousers as a result and can't fault them

tris

a1a
09-11-04, 07:16 PM
Richard

The Spada Podium & Circuit (jacket/trousers but can't remember which way round) kit got a good write up over here.

I bought the trousers as a result and can't fault them

tris
I'll see if I can find them on net. Thanks Tris
Cheers, Richard

terrier
10-11-04, 01:35 PM
Try Finnish Rukka or Yoko (don't know about dealers there, but check the net)

Both are supplying Gore-Tex clothing, with lining removable, seams well made, pockets properly designed and so on are excellent all year around. Not that they are used in Finland only, at least in German magazine tests both have been good match for other "begger" companies.

At least my own experience is that Dainese Gore-Tex trausers were very lousy - damn pockets SUCK the water in while driving, and again very hot in sunshine...

I crashed once with Rukka with only minor damage myself, Jacked could have been repaired, but insurance paid it.

I usually drive in leather, but Rukka jacket is packed just in case it gets cold ow wet - easy to put over the Dainese suit...

Regards,

a1a
10-11-04, 06:03 PM
Thank you terrier, another feature very important to me is water proof material. I guess most Gore Tex material is water proof and breathable without the liner installed, correct?
Cheers, Richard

sexysi
11-11-04, 09:23 AM
Boots
got to be Sidi's Black rain for the winter and Vertabra race for the summer or the new Corsair's.
I will be getting the new Corsair's for the summer, but my Black rains are only 2 years old and are a mint boot so I will never get rid of them.
http://www.harpersraceshop.co.uk/usrimage/corsa%20blue.jpg
sexysi

Jabba
15-11-04, 12:31 PM
If you're in the USA then have a look at Aerostitch clothing - supposed to "the mutt's" be they're not sold over here other than via the 'net.

terrier
16-11-04, 06:38 AM
a1a

All Gore Tex is water proof, but trick is to make the seams right. Gore Tex is a membrane you glue to the inner surface of the textile - it lets tha vapour out, but keeps the water drops in.

There are cheap ones on market, but usually they have single lining and seams are straight stiched. Either they leak right away or after some use, when constant bending of stich breaks the membrane. If you make it right, you fold each seam and glue it (means lots of work, higher price). Also experience is important - at least good manufacturers (e.g. Rukka, Yoko, Dainese, Held, Alpinestars etc) have been doing it for a while, tested their stuff, replaced bad products to the customers and updated models corespectively.

Those Dainese trousers I mentioned were a typical screw-up: they had side pockets with unprotected zippers, when driving naked bike at 50-60 mph in rain one had low pressure area there, so all the water got really sucked into the pockets. Rukka puts pockets different place and does not leave open zippers.

If Asian wanna-be has a look on expensive jacket and makes one that looks almost the same, but costs less they are not likely to copy all the little details that make practical difference.

I bought IXS suit with Solto Tex for my wife, looks great, suits well but is quite useless in hot. They made the details right, but used cheaper membrane material - so when she either walks a bit or we stop and sun shines she gets "sweaty and sticky". Does not like biking that much any more... :(

Inner lining is easy to stuck under the saddle or in some bag - does not take much place, does not affect breathing much either. Few years ago I hiked in Mountains with Rukka jacket, a bit heavy, but has breathable protectors (rubber net, much better that foam pads most manufacturers use, although mayb does not protect so well from straight impact).

Rukka seems to have dealers in US:

http://www.rukka.com/motor/index.html

Yoko doesn't, but most probably you can order with credit card from someone:

http://www.yokofor.com/company.php

That is not to say that only those two are worth of checking or only Finnish quality is good, but at least I can recommend them.

I am not a fan of one brand:

leather: Dainese
helmet: Shoei (used to be Dainese)
boots: Alpinestars
waterproofs: Rukka
cool gloves: Held and Alpinestars
warm gloves: Yoko
back protector: Dainese

Had to crash test almost every one of those on the list :evil:

Moo
16-11-04, 05:18 PM
Hein Gericke' a good alternative.

Frenchloon
16-11-04, 10:05 PM
Got a Spada Podium and Circuit outfit. The write up in "Ride" is right: top kit, waterproof and unbeatable price. Comfy too. I recommended it. Got Daytom Goretex boots: top stuff, but expensive.

SDB
26-11-04, 10:21 PM
Frank Thomas is OK if you are starting out with bikes - its cheap. Its what I did but I will not be buying any more. It isn't really value for money. My leathers are Hein Gerick. My Frank Thomas boots £100 lasted less than a year, hardly worn and started leaking. By then I knew I liked bikes, had bought the SV so splashed out on a pair of leather, Goretex lined BMWs. I will probably replace my man made stuff with Hein Gerick (Gore tex) or if money no object (I wish) I will look at the BMW stuff.