PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil

ryancor
15-11-04, 02:18 PM
I have just had a conversation with a mate of mine who also rides an SV. We were talking about engine oil (very exciting lives we lead I know :lol: ). He was saying that he tops up his semi synthetic oil with some fully synthetic and finds the gear changes and engine run a lot smoother. Anyone got any thoughts or experiences of this?

embee
16-11-04, 10:41 PM
Not exactly, but I have noticed something similar.

I've always used Castrol GPS (bike specific) semi-synth 10W-40 in the SV. The last time I changed the oil+filter it was immediately noticeable that the clutch freed off much more cleanly, especially after a cold start and the first time it went into gear. Not just a little different, this was a major difference.

The old oil wasn't high mileage, I tend to overdo the changes (3k miles max).

I hadn't done anything else, just the oil change, and certainly wasn't expecting it so I'm confident it's a real difference. Don't know if Castrol has changed the formulation, it's quite possible. :?

Moo
22-07-05, 10:48 PM
I only use Castrol GPS (bike specific) semi-synth.

jon
24-07-05, 09:54 PM
Motul oil is rather good.

Cloggsy
24-07-05, 09:59 PM
Motul oil is rather good.

That's what I used ;)

SVeeedy Gonzales
25-07-05, 07:50 AM
Mixing oils is meant to be no problem - though obviously if you mix half semi with half fully synth, you end up with something halfway between the two in terms of properties.
Semi or fully synth is a huge topic. For most people/bikes semi synth is fine, though fully synth won't harm it and if you've got the cash then why not... there'll be someone along telling you what bad stuff fully synth may/may not do any minute now... :D

Valman
25-07-05, 01:51 PM
Mixing oils is meant to be no problem - though obviously if you mix half semi with half fully synth, you end up with something halfway between the two in terms of properties.
Semi or fully synth is a huge topic. For most people/bikes semi synth is fine, though fully synth won't harm it and if you've got the cash then why not... there'll be someone along telling you what bad stuff fully synth may/may not do any minute now... :D

There's nothing wrong with fully synthetic oil and it is better than semi synthetic, as long as you get the right stuff. After 1300 miles of commuting the gear changes on my bike were getting very rough and sometimes the lever seemed to get stuck and wouldn't shift, I was regularly running in the 100 degrees celsius plus mark though and I'm sure that didn't help. The oil didn't need topping up though, so I just changed the oil but decided to use Mobil Racing 4T, a fully synthetic oil, instead of the semi synthetic Silkolene stuff it had in it and I'm glad I did. It instantly changed the way the bike was running and after 800 miles of more hard commuting the gear changes are as smooth as they've ever been and the bike runs smoothly as well.

I don't think I'll ever switch back to semi synthetic as long as I have to keep using the SV in the harsh way it's used, 1400 mile oil changes are definitely going to be more expensive than using fully synthetic for say 3000 miles, if not between the set service intervals.

BURNER
25-07-05, 02:08 PM
I use the Halfwits semi-synth 10W-40 bike oil. Worked fine in both gixer motors and they're oil cooled so it made sense to buy cheaper oil when it's got a much larger capacity sump.
In fact I bought so much of it that I still had enough left over to do the oil change on the SV.

My collection of used oil is about 25 litres, I've gotta get rid....

Cloggsy
25-07-05, 02:12 PM

Use it in a Scottoiler - Better than buying Scottoil at the price it is ;)

BURNER
25-07-05, 07:08 PM

Isn't it too thin?

Cloggsy
25-07-05, 07:27 PM

Isn't it too thin?

No, It's fine... Rictus has used if for years :!:

jonboy
25-07-05, 08:18 PM
Yes but have you seen the state of his rear wheel? :lol: