PDA

View Full Version : Buying an sv in London

Shuggie
23-11-04, 02:23 PM
Hello all I'm new to this forum. Can anyone recommend a good bike shop in London which has decent selection of sv650s? Looking for the new shape. Used to own an sv650s. Last year have been riding a cbr600 until some git stole it so looking for something a bit cheaper to insure. I loved my old sv so looking to get another one. Decided I much prefer v twins to in line 4's!

steveo
23-11-04, 02:46 PM
I just picked my K3 up last friday from George White Superbikes up in Shoreditch. I think they have a few advertised in their MCN advert which they can move from their various shops to London for you to have a look at. Their number is 0207 613 3434, if you speak to a bloke called Mike i found him really helpful.

:lol:

lynw
23-11-04, 02:50 PM
Got my SV (curvy and best :lol: ) from Bats in Biggin Hill where theyve got a few sv's in stock usually...

If youve read the dealer woes thread would suggest you avoid Mottingham motorcycles...

bluebell
23-11-04, 02:53 PM
Can't help with your question but welcome to the site.

Shuggie
23-11-04, 03:20 PM
Thanks all. Just waiting for my insurance cheque to come through for my stolen cbr so just checking out prices at the moment. Will have a look through mcn. Seem to be some good deals on at the moment. Am gagging to get back on the bike. Having to take the tube to work is hell!!!

Jelster
23-11-04, 09:23 PM
Shuggie,

You don't say where abouts in the old smoke you are, Norf, Souf, East or West (or even central :shock: )...

A number of dealers around the town though. Have a look at Bike Trader (www.biketrader.co.uk) as there are always SV's up there for sale...

Oh, and welcome to the official "Massive" of the SV community :lol:

Shuggie
23-11-04, 09:34 PM
I'm in South West London. Cheers for the welcome. Whats the Falco like as I was thinking about getting one? Seem to change my mind about what bike to get every 2 seconds!

Jelster
23-11-04, 11:37 PM
I'm in South West London. Cheers for the welcome. Whats the Falco like as I was thinking about getting one? Seem to change my mind about what bike to get every 2 seconds!

Great bike if you can get a reliable one :roll: I didn't :cry:

Suspension needs some setting up, but I didn't know this until after I PX'ed it for the Gixer. I found it difficult to hold a tight line, but I've seen people getting their knee down easily on them. Sound great with the Aprilia RSC cans & chip, go like stink too.

They look crap unless they're in black, but doesn't every bike ? :lol:

Stig
24-11-04, 05:58 AM

Yup :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh and Steve, next time I'm behind you in London, do me a favour, and move aside and let the bigboys through :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lynw
24-11-04, 10:01 AM

NO!!!

Blue is the proper colour for an sv isnt it???!!!! :wink: :lol:
And the Jay blue makes the bike look particularly nice.... :D

Viney
24-11-04, 10:11 AM
Hello all I'm new to this forum. Can anyone recommend a good bike shop in London which has decent selection of sv650s? Looking for the new shape. Used to own an sv650s. Last year have been riding a cbr600 until some git stole it so looking for something a bit cheaper to insure. I loved my old sv so looking to get another one. Decided I much prefer v twins to in line 4's!

Morning

Drop Coolgirl a PM. She has a K3 Silver SV for sale.

Shuggie
24-11-04, 02:47 PM
Cheers all. I've been in touch with Coolgirl and the bike sounds great. I'm just waiting for my insurance company to cough up the cheque for my last bike which got knicked.

Will have to pop down and see you all in soho once I've got myself an sv. Could be tempted to get the sv1000s if one comes along at the right price. Anyone have any thoughts on the 1000? Only my brain is telling me be sensible and get a cheaper 650. But when it comes to bikes, who listens to their brain!

lynw
24-11-04, 02:49 PM
just a thought too... its in idle banter under the I was offered....

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?p=195811#195811

Shuggie
24-11-04, 02:58 PM
Thanks Lynw just saw that in the idle banter section. George whites have a double page ad in mcn. Some really good deals on.

On a more somber note I just went past a yellow police accident sign saying motorbike fatality on the embankment in London in between chelsea and battersea bridge. Is scary as I ride that road everyday. Be careful out there.

Just saw Jelsters accident photos. As a rider who used to do just ride around in jeans and leather jacket, I'll definteley be investing in some decent protective kit for my lower half.

Shuggie
24-11-04, 03:01 PM
Sorry meant to say BigApes photos not Jelsters! Getting confused with all these new names!

lynw
24-11-04, 03:03 PM
its scary every day.... now ride hi beam all the time with loud can... made a difference over the standard bike.. winter seems to bring the stupidity out even more...

only jeans I will wear on the bike now are the draggin jeans... kevlar lined but mine have no padding...
:(
otherwise leathers or goretex... top and bottom.... ALWAYS...

I so wanted to lecture this woman on a scooter the other day... no gloves... thin coat and bloody stilettos... :shock: stupid stupid stupid...

read in mcn once something like a 30 mph spill... 30ft down the road your scraping bone if you not wearing proper gear?? dont bear thinking about... :shock:

Shuggie
24-11-04, 03:32 PM
Scooter drivers are the worst for that. They seem to think that riding a scooter means they don't need any protective gear. The best one I saw was this guy riding along on his scooter, he was all over the place. Noticed he had a pair of crutches balaned in between his legs and thought it was a bit odd. As I drove past him I saw that his leg was in a plaster, flip fops on the other foot and only wearing a pair of shorts!

lynw
24-11-04, 03:43 PM
dont start me off!!! scooter boys could be a seperate thread on their own... :?

oh I could rant all day about them.... :evil:

Stig
24-11-04, 06:44 PM
Just saw BigApe's accident photos. As a rider who used to do just ride around in jeans and leather jacket, I'll definteley be investing in some decent protective kit for my lower half.

That's why the photo's are there :wink: :wink: :wink: glad to know that that thread is still doing its job :)

CoolGirl
26-11-04, 07:10 PM
Protective gear all over please people - I had my off at under 20mph in town.

If I hadn't had my fully armoured hi-spec leathers on I'd have shattered my kneecap, rather than the superficial cuts and bruises. And if I hadn't had a decent fitting full-face lid on when I landed on my chin, I wouldn't be here to write this rather than just breaking my jaw :shock:

I once had an enlightening conversation at the lights with a scooter rider I spotted in a flimsy skirt, bare legs and sandals. I asked her how much she thought a decent skin graft costs, why my insurance is so high and whether there was any connection. Her contribution to the debate was to tell me to "f*** off".... :roll:

Debs

lynw
02-12-04, 11:13 AM
wasnt there a web site which posted pics of people in accidents with open face helmets?

saw some once and if theres anything to convince you of the benefits of a full face helmet theyre out there on the net somewhere.... not nice...

If the woman on the scooter said that to me I think I would have been tempted to kick her off the scooter, ask if that hurt and for her to have a think about how much more its gonna hurt when shes moving.... :?

SVeeedy Gonzales
22-03-05, 03:47 PM
Went down to Geroge Whites in London in Feb to have a look at some bikes - they were doing old K4's for something like 3995 then, tho don't think they had any. They had a yellow K4 with 1800 miles on the clock, so bought that instead for £3400.

I like their prices, but not convinced about their servicing - bike took a few weeks to prep, said they were really busy, but had no other customers any time I was there, and February, with all that snow, was hardly the peak of the biking calendar!

I doubt I'll take the bike back there for servicing - they have to send bikes away and sort me out a hire bike until they get it back, etc. and there's a Suzi dealer close to where I live. Oh, and they were a pain about giving me the original ECU (got it restricted) and best they'd do was give me a receipt stating that they had it and would give it to me once the restriction was up later this year... pain in the butt. :x

I'd buy from them again as the prices are realtively good, but I wouldn't take the bike back there - just didn't feel 'right'.

Last bike I had came from BAT in Biggin Hill - great place, very helpful staff and I never felt like I was being fibbed to about the bike, etc. which I did at GW London :evil:

Zom-b-dog
29-03-05, 10:00 PM
Try Metropolis at Vauxhall for bike purchases.

TSM
29-03-05, 10:26 PM
Try Metropolis at Vauxhall for bike purchases.

not for second hand ones, their prices are over the top.