PDA

View Full Version : which boots???

GC-SV
29-12-04, 02:48 PM
ok.so the sidi black rains seem to be rated highly.

I am now in 2 minds after reading about the level of heel / ankle protection that they provide.
Maybe others could comment on this.

What do you recommend..
Most of my riding will be done in the summer months, although i do want a good level of waterproofing when i do get caught out. i also want a good level of protection.
I don't want something that looks like a full race boot (which attracted me to the Black rains). i have about £100 pounds to spend.

What do you wear, or what do you rate highly and why
:?

Muttley
30-12-04, 09:39 AM
HG Speedkings (I think thats what they're called) would suit you.

They don't look like a race boot, cost around the £100 mark (maybe a little bit more), have a water proof lining (goretex IIRC), and have lots of protection features.

I don't have a pair, but a mate of mine bought some and he's really impressed.

I have A* SMX-3, (if you get them in black they aren't too race booty looking), not too leaky in the rain (mine aren't the goretex version) and have good ankle protection.

Cloggsy
30-12-04, 01:52 PM
What size are you :?: A mate has got some Sidi Vertebra (2's I think) in Red White & Blue - Size (euro) 45 (10/10.5 UK)

He's only worn them a few times & bought A*'s instead...

I'll have a word if you like :?:

fizzwheel
30-12-04, 04:02 PM
I've got Alpinestars SMX-3

Really comfy, just like wearing pair of trainers, as for protection can't really tell you as I havent ( touch wood ) had to test them out yet.

I like them enough to have just bought a 2nd pair as I've worn my first pair out

They arent waterproof though, but they are ventilated and I dont get hot feet in the summer. You can get a waterproof goretex versoin though

GC-SV
30-12-04, 04:39 PM
I'm a size 8 (42 euro) - thanks for the offer.
Once the local dealers open again, i'm going to try out a few different boots.
I must say, I am still swayed towards the Black rains, I like the look of them and feel, coming from the same stable as the more expensive race boots Vertibras etc., they must be up to the job.

I suppose the best way to judge, is to try them on and examine them in the flesh, as they say.

That only leaves..........let me think????
Trousers
Disc lock
Ground anchor
Garage chain
Paddock stand
Jacket............purchased Belstaff (can't remember type)
Gloves...........purchased Belstaff Pathfinder
Helmet..........deal done when buying bike, Arai Astro R (Aluminium Grey)
Hugger..........decided on Ermax
Crash bungs.. decided on Bikesliders

can't think of anything else at the minute, but I know theres more

Kingy
02-01-05, 06:31 PM
If you check out he latest edition of Bike magazine (feb 2005) they have a pair of Furygan boots in their new stuff section.

Look pretty tasty and they are Gore-tex type material as well. About 135 quids says the review, try www.furygan.com.

Wouldn't mind but I've just got a brand spanking pair of Oxtars for Crimble.

Valman
02-01-05, 08:40 PM
I've had two offs, at 10 mph and about 25-30mph, and both times I was wearing Black Rains and I walked away with no injuries to my feet. The ankles are fine and are barely scuffed, the heels have taken a bit more and the paint has more or less disappeared but the metal plating is there with no visible damage to it. The only thing I'm not happy about is that the front outer part seems to wear away very quickly and mine are almost worn out on my right foot after the offs.

TSM
02-01-05, 09:01 PM
I've had two offs, at 10 mph and about 25-30mph, and both times I was wearing Black Rains and I walked away with no injuries to my feet. The ankles are fine and are barely scuffed, the heels have taken a bit more and the paint has more or less disappeared but the metal plating is there with no visible damage to it. The only thing I'm not happy about is that the front outer part seems to wear away very quickly and mine are almost worn out on my right foot after the offs.

i have black rains, and as far as i was aware the only metal is in the sole.

The front of my boot got traped under a bike when i droped it on a u-turn on my learning. The weight of the bike had droped on my foot. It was fine but the rubber got slightly pulled away from the front of the boot, and the outer part got a gash realy easaly.

Otherwise they are good boots, the quality for the price is good.

wheelnut
02-01-05, 09:25 PM
I have a pair of Oxtar waterproofs which were very comfy from day one although they always felt a little bulky while riding.

But my Sidi Vertebrae 2 are brilliant! Once I got them worn in, they are comfartable and I can still ride home in them after walking round a race track all day. I think they were about £100

Try a few pairs on in the shop, but you really need leathers too to see if they are comfy with boots. Depends on whether you wear them inside or outside your leathers