PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wanting to buy SV650s

rpwoodman
09-01-05, 04:02 PM
Hi all,

I've just passed my test (having ridden a DT125 for a little time) and am looking to buy a bigger bike. I've pretty well decided on a SV650s but before I wander down to my local bike shop, I want to look at least vaguely educated in bike matters. Having said that, they're a great shop - have never shown any snobbishness towards me when I've trundled up on my DT125, but I just don't want to feel foolish. A relatively anonymous board is a much safer way of asking dumb questions.... :-)

Anyway, with that in mind, on to my questions:

1) I understand that the K5 model is coming out soon (any idea when?). What are the differences between the K4 and K5 and are they big enough to use them as a haggling point when I come to buy my bike?

2) What are the "running-in" restrictions? i.e. I assume I have to limit the revs for x miles?

3) Somewhere on this board (tho I can't find it again now...), someone refers to the SV650 with either injection or carbs. Having trawled through the Suzuki web site, I can't find any reference to this. What are the benefits of each and which would be best suited to a newbie?

4) I want to ride safely but quickly and from talking to friends, a supervised track day is a very good way to learn - getting pointers from someone who is an expert. I can see that there is a line between not being comfortable with your bike and having got into bad habits. Can anyone else who has done such a course give me their advice as to how long I should leave it before going on such a course?

Many thanks

snoopy
09-01-05, 04:39 PM
Lots of your questions can be found hereon in, but here's the answers anyway.

1. K5 black frame. Looks nice IMHO but I dunno if the black paint will start crumbling after a while. I presume its heat treated but then Suzuki come with full of surprises when it comes to cutting corners on quality.

2. Some say horse it, some say take it easy. I'd take it easy. I heard the EMU unit on new bikes stops you horsing it for first 600 miles but I might be wrong. Just don't redline it.

3. Carbs is curvy model < 2002. Fuel injection is more economical, better performance and better response. It's the way forward but the pointy models are "the century fashion statement" while the curvy models are sublime and sexy.

4. I've had mine for 1yr 3mths and I've never tracked it because a. I can't afford the damage to me, bike or clothes and b. I'm still a pretty **** driver. Hell I still can't corner like a pro. The SV is classed as a "sports tourer". The suspension is crap and it's not really a track bike. If I was to buy a bike in order to track it I certainly would not buy an SV. If you want to learn how to ride a bike do an ATC or the proper way; take it along some country roads and hit some hedges/slide along the road once in a while.

BaggaZee
09-01-05, 04:44 PM
the pointy models are "the century fashion statement" while the curvy models are sublime and sexy.

Not that I disagree with the latter but are you at the cooking sherry again?
:drink: :lol:

Jabba
09-01-05, 05:16 PM
Hi, and Welcome :thumbsup:

No.........I'm not going to try to pursuade you to get a Hornet. Honest :lol: Howver, I would caustion against going into a dealers with a closed mind as to what you're going to buy. Ride a few different bikes before making your mind up.

No one has yet mentioned the differences between the naked and the "S" versions. The former has normal bars and slightly lower pegs for a more upright riding position. The latter has "clip-ons" and higher pegs for a more "sporty" riding position, plus the fairing/lighting differences. Both are good bikes and, if you decide on an SV, you'll need to make a further choice between the two models depending upon what sort of riding you do.

4) I want to ride safely but quickly and from talking to friends, a supervised track day is a very good way to learn - getting pointers from someone who is an expert.

Track-days are very nice, but very diffeerent from riding on a road. IMHO, the best road-riders are the Police, so why not get trained by them?

Click here (http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/) to find out a bit more - highly recommended (by me at least :wink: )

Daglad
09-01-05, 05:32 PM
Hi,

I bought the better half an SVS about 18 months ago. It had been down the road on one side but apart from the usual cosmetic damage it was ok. This is my partners 1st big bike and she loves it. She has ridden it all over the place including a week touring north yorkshire and the lakes. So as to the question of being a good choice for a first bike it's perfrect.

The question about learning on a trackday is a good one. I have done about a dozen over he last 5 years (ZX6 & R1) and cannot recommend them enough, but you do have to balance it against the chance of dropping your bike (that doesn't mean you will), but you will learn loads about your bike and yourself. Follow an instructor he won't leave you or make you do anything beyond your ability.

Most of all enjoy it!

:D

rpwoodman
09-01-05, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the info chaps.

I'll certainly have a look at the police courses and at other bikes (tho maybe talking about them on this forum wouldn't be right!) such as the Hornet. I'm sure my local bike shop will point me to all the possible options. Guess I just like the look of the SV650s, tho if it ain't right for me, it ain't right!

thanks again

rgds

GC-SV
09-01-05, 06:15 PM
Having just past my test, and not knowing alot about the ins and outs of bikes was one of the reasons i decided to buy new.

I went to the dealer when i was ready to deal and had done my research through mags and mostly this forum. I then knew what the price of the bike was in the brochure and what was a reaonable price to pay after haggling, although with the K5 things could be different. As it turned out I got a great deal on a K5 SV650 along with a few extras, i.e. restiction and derestriction free, £80 off an Arai, delivery to my home and a few other small add ons.
The K4 that was sitting in the showroom, according to the dealer would have cost me much more. The reason being is that the dealer told me that because they are no longer available and if someone wants one then the cost is higher. Also because it cost him X amount of pounds and he needs to get that back and this would not be possible if he let it go cheap.
In England maybe it is different as there are more dealers and more bikes to choose from. Here in N. Ireland we have probably 3 Suzuki dealers.

Anyway, my advice know what you want, know what is a decent price and don't go for the 1st price they quote unless it is really good but only after trying to get a few other bits and pieces from them. HTH

(HTH, I'm learning, got that from a previous thread)

snoopy
09-01-05, 06:21 PM
I think this is a pretty good review...

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/03_Mini_Nakeds/index.motml

snoopy
09-01-05, 06:25 PM
And the Hornet...

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mchonda/00hornet.html

Flamin_Squirrel
09-01-05, 09:21 PM
I think this is a pretty good review...

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/03_Mini_Nakeds/index.motml

That's an awful review writen by someone who probably owns a R1 or a 999. As for saying its no good for the track, thats debatable too. You said you can't ride for sh*t, so how would you know about the suspension? It can easily be upgraded anyway.

Don't give out such rubbish advice. :evil:

Right, enough of that. The SV makes a great first bike, you'll love it if you decide to get one 8)

rpwoodman
11-01-05, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the links to reviews and the subsequent comments.

I must admit, I was surprised about the very -ve comments about the SV650 in that review as it goes against the grain so much but I guess you can't please everyone. I'm interested in all comments, good or bad tho.

Thanks chaps

zx6man
11-01-05, 10:08 AM
Mate of mine has a sv track bike..its well good, and he has raced every bike going, including an mv augusta F4....

will
11-01-05, 02:13 PM
mcn road test archive for SV (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?page=motorcyclenews.bikes.model&product=MCN&workflowStatus=ACTIVE&fixture=BIKE_MODEL&action=search&make=SUZUKI&model=SV650S&resource=932873&fixture_bike_model=932873&resourceId=932873)

you can download a test report vs the fazer and the cbf 600 from the link above. the SV comes 3rd in the test but in the real world it's spot on in most repects. ride one and see how you feel about it.

I am also a new rider, 6 foot tall on an K3S and I don't find it cramped. round town (C London) it's fine. The K3, K4 & K5 are essentially the same apart from a few tweaks, cosmetics and slightly different peg position.

re training, i have booked on a police training course - £30 well spent. they're all over the country, and here's bikesafe.co.uk i think (or google it).

hope that's helpful
Will.