PDA

View Full Version : money matters - need advice

SPeeeeDY
09-01-05, 08:49 PM
i am going to be buying an SV650s and think the curvey model will be the one i will end up with, i like the 'curvey' and 'square' models equaly!
I have been trying to look at the prices, but there isn't many forsale at the moment. I will be buying my bike intime for the 3 March when hopefully i will have 2 yrs no claims, fingers crossed (im trying not to use my current bike).

could anyone advise me on a good price to pay, and the year of bike to buy, bear in mind im after the older curvey model.
The bike has to have the milage under 10,000 even better would be under 8,000. It has to be IMMACULATE condition, and include ALL standard parts if it is modded (apart from the ugly no. plate hangers...they can keep that!!!).

what im meaning is, is paying £3500 for a mint curvey with low milage ok, or will i be gettin ripped off and at the same time would it be wise to pay £1500 for a minter with low milage, or is it likely to have been raced/crashed?

Also is there any things i should look out for in particular when buying. I have noticed on a few bikes that the paint has been stripped/corroded on the engine casing of the pump on the RHS of the bike. Are they all like this???

Cheers

SPeeeeDY

P.S. my current bike is for sale (TTR250), will p/x for and SV

BURNER
09-01-05, 08:56 PM
Best curvey (Mark I ) is the 2002 model with the pre-load adjusters in the forks.
That water pump corrosion isn't usual, mine hasn't got it.
Mileage and service history are all good.
Check wheel rims for nicks and damage.
Check exhaust, if it has a race can make sure you get the standard pipe. If it hasn't got a race can and never had I'd buy it.
Check fork lowers for corrosion, thay all do it but it's a good mark as to the amount of time it's been ridden. Say if they bad and it's under 9000 I'd be suspicious.
Do an HPI check through the MCN.

Price is good for what you're willing to pay you can pick up a K3 at the moment.

Jabba
09-01-05, 08:56 PM
what im meaning is, is paying £3500 for a mint curvey with low milage ok

NO!!!!! :shock:

FFS, you can buy a new naked K4 for that money if you shop around :thumbsup:

£2.5k will buy you nice curvy SV.

I would respectfully suggest that mileage shouldn't be your priority. Buy having regard to one of the trade price guides, overall condition and SERVICE HISTORY.

Cloggsy
09-01-05, 09:00 PM
I have been trying to look at the prices, but there isn't many for sale at the moment.

There's Viney's (http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=14219) for sale here.. Nice looking individual bike (if you're into that kinda thing :wink:)

is paying £3500 for a mint curvey with low milage ok

:shock: I'd say that was bleedin' insane :lol: :lol: :lol: You'd get a nice K3 for that money :wink:

BURNER
09-01-05, 09:05 PM
Or even a K4

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9808&item=4517993720&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Cloggsy
09-01-05, 09:09 PM
Or even a K4

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9808&item=4517993720&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

My point exactly :wink:

jonboy
09-01-05, 10:31 PM

This is sadly true, particularly at this time of year. So if you want a bargain, buy now - if you want to pay another £500 then wait till March/April.

nuntius
10-01-05, 04:37 AM

This is sadly true, particularly at this time of year. So if you want a bargain, buy now - if you want to pay another £500 then wait till March/April.

Waiting another couple of months to sell my now unused scooter exactly because of this, I don't understand why people are so reluctant to buy out of season

rictus01
10-01-05, 07:55 AM

Waiting another couple of months to sell my now unused scooter exactly because of this, I don't understand why people are so reluctant to buy out of season

I'm not saved about £1000 on my Triumph by buying in December :lol:

Cheers Mark.

SPeeeeDY
10-01-05, 05:15 PM
thanks for all the replys. Im now a fully trained SV buyer..lol :twisted:

chog
10-01-05, 06:31 PM
:) I will be looking to sell my SV650 s soon.
If you are interested Pm me. I am looking at around £2,400 ideally.
Here are the details.
Black SVS 1999 T reg. 13,000 miles.
T&T until august 2005, new rear tyre, about 2,000miles worth of tread on front. Both Avons. excellent condition. It has a bellypan, seat cover, hugger and undertray which are all colour matched. Goodrich brake hoses throughout. New front pads. Ferodo.
The wheels have been stoved red, I have a quill carbon race can plus the original. It has a choice of clear, black or iridium screen. It has various alloy nuts bolts etc. mini indicators front and back.
The bike is in excellent condition and is only used when there is no salt on the road.
If you are interested then I can email pictures.
CHOG