PDA

View Full Version : 3 VERY near misses on my way in this morning

kjames
10-01-05, 01:58 PM
well, as the title says.
travelling down the A40 and had 3 seperate incidents of people changing lanes on me as i filtering past or about to.
a merc, a white van and another merc.
they all resulted in a full on emergency stop (or slow down)... followed by a slight brown trouser moment and then that feeling in your stomach a few hundred yards later when the adreniline stops.

even resorted to tapping on the van window with the carbon fibre knuckles of my glove, :oops: the guy sh!t himself as he didn't have a clue i was there..

Thats at least a months worth of near misses in one day. i'm putting it down to many people having not driven for a couple of weeks over xmas and therefore driving like wa**ers on their first day back.

anyone else have the same trouble this morning?

will
10-01-05, 02:01 PM
take it easy mate. on days like those i stop for a fag break to gather myself before venturing out again. take up smoking, it may save your life!! :lol:

bad luck though, hope your return journey is better
Will

Scoobs
10-01-05, 02:02 PM
anyone else have the same trouble this morning?

Not this morning but yesterday!

Slowing down for a muppet in an MPV in front of me and another motorbike hits me from behind! Only bumped the back tyre. I bet he put some skid marks in his leathers as well as on the road! TW@

Grinch
10-01-05, 02:05 PM
My 65 mile journey this morning was luckely uneventful, just the journey home to deal with.

wolverine04uk
10-01-05, 02:09 PM
:shock:

3 in a row.

Damn lucky not to get hit.

BaggaZee
10-01-05, 02:16 PM
I nearly got creamed by a HGV this morning, I was waiting to turn right onto a main road, he was coming towards me & indicated to pull into the road I'm sat in, so I started to pull out, he hammers on the brakes, unbelievable noise and stops inches from me. I pointed out his indicator but he shook his head at me and then drove off. :evil:

Serves me right for assuming he knew how to drive, I usually assume people are stupid but as he put his indicator on... :roll:

Mr Toad
10-01-05, 02:22 PM
It's Gods' way of telling you to take it easy :D

On a scooter you are effectively invisible to most cars - even if they see you, you'll probably only register in their minds as a 'big pushbike', and logic says you don't usually get those on the A40, so in reality you don't exist, so it's OK to change lanes . . . sorry officer, didn't see him :cry:

Easier on the SV - got a bit more 'presence', especially with a decent exhaust :D

Iansv
10-01-05, 02:24 PM
always put full beam on when filtering lanes, gets some at least to see you...

Ceri JC
10-01-05, 02:38 PM
always put full beam on when filtering lanes, gets some at least to see you...

Yep, I don't generally agree with full beam in the day. Allegedly it makes it harder for drivers to judge your distance and consequently, speed. However, when filtering, alterting drivers to your prescence is the most important thing.

Just an etiquette question: I see a lot of guides suggest giving a wave/nod of thanks to drivers who move out of the way when filtering etc. I'm normally all in favour of that and do when people let you out, flash to let you through, etc. However, when filtering I concentrate 100% on getting through in one piece and don't even consider waving to other drivers. Maybe it's being rude, but even spending half a second to turn your head, nod then look back ahead in front and refocus to the correct distance is enough to take you off when filtering IMHO.

Iansv
10-01-05, 02:41 PM
Normally so long as its safe to do so i'll tip my head either left or right depending who moved to give acknowledgement....

i'd rather pee off a few people with full beam then get knocked off.... only do it when between lanes and solid traffic otherwise leave normal lights on

BURNER
10-01-05, 02:45 PM
Sure if somebody lets you in acknowledge them but don't compromise your focus on the road.
With the crappy grey weather it gets hard to see bikes, high beams just dazzle folk and they stop looking at you.
Fit a very loud horn :twisted:
Have either alien, predator or skull painted on your helmet....
If people thought you'd eat them alive for any infraction they'd be much more careful.....

BaggaZee
10-01-05, 02:50 PM
Normally so long as its safe to do so i'll tip my head either left or right depending who moved to give acknowledgement....

Likewise, it means you don't have to take your eyes off the road and I think most will recognise it as an acknowledgement.

Gforceuk
10-01-05, 02:58 PM
Must be a merc thing. I had a great ride today , then on university boulevard in nottingham a stuck up cow in a merc decided it would be a good idea to wash her windscreen while sat in slow moving traffic with me behind her....grr.

wasnt happy getting soaked in foaming water...i let her know i was behind her shortly after with a swift shift of her wing mirror... :twisted:

Ping
10-01-05, 03:02 PM
In filtering situations it's not possible to acknowledge everyone who moves over for u, but I try to thank as many as poss when it's safe to do so.

When a car gives way to me, despite the fact that I have right of way, I nod in thanks to or when I'm in my car, thank with the hand gesture. It's simply road etiquette. There're too many people just 'taking' because they have right of way without acknowledgement of the person giving way. It doesn't make for very giving drivers and drivers who get the **** won't give the next road user any leeway. Dangerous in my opinion.

The more cagers who believe they're appreciated, the better as they're more likely to start looking favourably on bikes and being aware of us.

The more cagers on our side, the better.

:D

Cronos
10-01-05, 03:14 PM
a merc, a white van and another merc.

Now there's a suprise. :roll: :x

lynw
10-01-05, 03:46 PM
all my run ins have usually been with mercs... it seems the volvo drivers can now afford them so have gone en masse to c classes... still drive like tw*ts though...

my advice... get yer bike licence as soon as you can, get a bike and get a loud can! :lol:

also get used to it... drivers dont look for bikes/scooters... not good when it happens but if you ride like the driver in front/to the side/behind is going to kill you you find youre generally prepared for it when they do... ie youre already braking or accelerating out of trouble...

nuntius
10-01-05, 04:45 PM
wasnt happy getting soaked in foaming water...i let her know i was behind her shortly after with a swift shift of her wing mirror... :twisted:

I've done this a couple of times before, for people who have purposefully moved over to block me. They know why i did it.

Also, although a scooter is a lot more invisible, it's also a lot easier to throw around so when filtering it is actually safer

timwilky
10-01-05, 05:44 PM
Whilst white vans seem to be a real pain in the **** when I am in the cage, hogging the outside lane at 60mph. I also find them to be the most likely to make space for me when I am on the bike and filtering.

It is usually chavs in Novas and AXs that move in to block my path. Maybe it is a born again thing that many of the blokes in merc/bmw people leave room for filtering bikes (Probably wishing they were on their own bike). However when it is a bird in them (you know the sort, you look at her and thing what does she do to get that) They are too busy checking their make up to deliberately block your path :lol:

Stig
10-01-05, 06:16 PM
well, as the title says.
travelling down the A40 and had 3 seperate incidents of people changing lanes on me as i filtering past or about to.

Only three :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I can only think that you were either riding really slow or were particularly lucky. If I don't loose count during a day riding in London then I consider that unusual. :roll: :roll:

caines
10-01-05, 07:23 PM
If im weary of a car when Im filtering I tend to pull the clutch in and give it a few blasts on the throttle, if they cant see you make them hear you! If anything its quite amusing to see people jump out of their skin, the safest thing you can fit is a racing end can in my opinion.

Filter and makes LOADS of noise if in doubt :twisted: yes he he he

Gforceuk
10-01-05, 07:52 PM
If im weary of a car when Im filtering I tend to pull the clutch in and give it a few blasts on the throttle, if they cant see you make them hear you! If anything its quite amusing to see people jump out of their skin, the safest thing you can fit is a racing end can in my opinion.

Filter and makes LOADS of noise if in doubt :twisted: yes he he he

yep , works a treat with my can too... scares the pants off em.

kjames
10-01-05, 08:35 PM
defo got to pass my test ASAP.
the loud exhaust thing doesn't really work on a scooter. i've seen a couple of the youngsters with them on and they're just annoying.
As for the filtering / near misses..i dont think there was anything else i could of done differently. i was travelling 15mph ish faster than the traffic either side... so not hooning along.

anyway.. hopefully tomorrow will be better.. and i've bought some cigs now. not sure if i swallow the smoke or not..
k

Jelster
10-01-05, 08:49 PM
Oh damn, it was your turn to ride the invisible bike was it ? If I'd of known I would have ridden in today :lol:

I thought about buying a Merc, then realised that I can't drive that bad !!! Merc drivers are THE worst. They've got no idea of the width of their car, where they are in the lane (or lanes!) and haven't a clue what is going on around them.

They should all have one of these fitted as standard
http://www.urbanbiker.co.uk/forum_pics/images/******.jpg

Jdubya
10-01-05, 08:51 PM
Only 1 today...two lanes coming off A229 from Maidstone going onto M2...I'm in the RHS lane all cars in LHS lane should be heading toward London(Like me)...then some old TW@ :x in a corolla decides to keep going in a str8 line towards walderslade...nearly takes me out (Thank goodness for over the shoulder life-savers) :shock: ...which then forced me to go all the way around the roundabout...could have killed the old TW@ but I thought his trousers and seat may have suffered enough so I just left him... :P

lynw
11-01-05, 01:07 PM
none this morning amazingly enough.... think that must be a bloody record!! but I had more than my fair share on way home last night.... :evil:

Big Bad Al
11-01-05, 01:36 PM
Only 3! I've done this run every day rine & shine for the past 5 years and that's the way the A40 / Western Ave is I'm afraid. If I'm not mistaken, I think I moved over to let you passed somewhere before the Perivale turn off? I was the cautious Black SV, luminous jacket, in the middle lane doing about 18mph.
Your filtering quite fast by my standards (if it was you) considering the nature of the Western and the fact the road was damp. Your a braver man than I.

howardr
11-01-05, 02:38 PM
If it's not too far out of your way, I can recommend the M4 to get into London.

You get your own lane (bus lane) to ride down so it cuts out a lot of the danger.

You do eventually get to the usual lane-swapping stuff when the bus lane ends but it makes a significant difference in my daily commute.

Carsick
11-01-05, 02:51 PM
If it's not too far out of your way, I can recommend the M4 to get into London.

You get your own lane (bus lane) to ride down so it cuts out a lot of the danger.

You do eventually get to the usual lane-swapping stuff when the bus lane ends but it makes a significant difference in my daily commute.
I love the M4 bus lane. It always sounded like a bloody stupid idea, then I found that you just get to sit there at 70mph, watching everybody else stuff in traffic.

kjames
12-01-05, 02:20 PM
Only 3! I've done this run every day rine & shine for the past 5 years and that's the way the A40 / Western Ave is I'm afraid. If I'm not mistaken, I think I moved over to let you passed somewhere before the Perivale turn off? I was the cautious Black SV, luminous jacket, in the middle lane doing about 18mph.
Your filtering quite fast by my standards (if it was you) considering the nature of the Western and the fact the road was damp. Your a braver man than I.

i can't particually remember over taking a black SV... but my filtering has certainly been a bit slower since monday.
i think i filter about average ish as i let past as many people as i go past (if that makes sense).
im on a silver \ grey gilera runner..53 plate. . grey \ black shoei jacket, black helmet. i'll give you a wave if i see you again.