PDA

View Full Version : Don't you just love it when (2) ...

howardr
12-01-05, 10:20 AM
You've slowed down to 30 as you go through the speed camera on the way to work and some tw@ on a scooter comes by at 45 mph and sets it off!

You're nicked mate!

Fine for scooter rider - £60
Me laughing my head off at 31 mph - PRICELESS

(imagine how suprised the 'processor' of that photo is going to be when he sees the 150 mph Triumph doing 30 and some twerp on a 60 mph scooter doing 40-odd)

wyrdness
12-01-05, 10:26 AM
Assuming that there was film in the camera, of course. In case anyone was wondering, this is why they have those white markings on the road. The marks are at a fixed distance apart (like a giant ruler). This means that they can manually calculate your speed from the two photos. It's very useful in case the camera is faulty and goes off when it shouldn't - like the one on the North Circular, just north of Chiswick Roundabout.

Mr Toad
12-01-05, 10:35 AM
You sure you were doing 30 :?:

I believe Rictus has a speeding ticket issued under similar circumstances, for doing 33 mph past one of these cameras when someone else set it off :cry:

Jelster
12-01-05, 10:42 AM
Did he have a UK plate ?? In my experience the ****s that go through them like that usually have European plates and are untraceable in the UK.

howardr
12-01-05, 11:07 AM
Yes I was doing 30 and, yes it was a UK plate - I've never seen a scooter slow down so quickly.

They never seem to slow down for cars, pedestrians, buses etc. I was beginning to wonder if they had any brakes at all!

I'm pretty sure that I'm OK - I was virtually halfway through the markings on the road when I noticed him zoom up the outside lane and then the flashes went off. I know the camera well so I had slowed right down - these damn digital speedos do take their time giving you the true speed though.

Professor
12-01-05, 11:47 AM
You've slowed down to 30 as you go through the speed camera on the way to work and some tw@ on a scooter comes by at 45 mph and sets it off!

Baldyman, Carsick and I were once riding past a camera in 30 mph zone
when a guy on a Kawasaki coming in the OPPOSITE direction set off the
camera by doing a wheelie. Don't think he was in any danger of being
caught.

BaggaZee
12-01-05, 12:24 PM
- these damn digital speedos do take their time giving you the true speed though.

Really?! :shock: I'd always assumed that they'd react in real time like analogue speedos, otherwise they're useless surely?!?! WTF??? :shock:

Flamin_Squirrel
12-01-05, 12:34 PM

Baldyman, Carsick and I were once riding past a camera in 30 mph zone
when a guy on a Kawasaki coming in the OPPOSITE direction set off the
camera by doing a wheelie. Don't think he was in any danger of being
caught.

Of course if you were doing 32mph you'd have been fined, because clearly you were being more dangerous than the wheelieing kwak rider :roll:

Carsick
12-01-05, 12:37 PM
I suspect we were doing 32mph.
I seem to be pretty lucky with cameras, I've had them flash twice as I go past 10mph over and no ticket turned up.

kjames
12-01-05, 02:21 PM
i hope it wasn't me :oops:

a40?

howardr
12-01-05, 03:24 PM
Embankment - near Monument

jambo
13-01-05, 01:06 PM
Had 2 of these recently going at 29mph when some git in a merc comes tear arsing past - flash flash, you laugh, kick down a cog and zip past him while he's cursing himself!

No tickets ever tuned up, as said the white lines on the road are your friends in this case, although I believe there may be a ruling that you can't be nicked if there are 2 vehicles in the picture? Correct me if I'm wrong!

Wiltshire7
13-01-05, 01:23 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

howardr wrote:
- these damn digital speedos do take their time giving you the true speed though.

Really?! I'd always assumed that they'd react in real time like analogue speedos, otherwise they're useless surely?!?! WTF???

they update something like once a second, maybe twice a second. otherwise it would be changing so fast most of the time u would struggle to see what it was displaying.

BaggaZee
13-01-05, 02:01 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

howardr wrote:

Really?! I'd always assumed that they'd react in real time like analogue speedos, otherwise they're useless surely?!?! WTF???

they update something like once a second, maybe twice a second. otherwise it would be changing so fast most of the time u would struggle to see what it was displaying.

I see. So, they're rubbish then? :P

Carsick
13-01-05, 02:06 PM
howardr wrote:

I see. So, they're rubbish then? :P
The good ones take lots of samples per second, but try to average it over a long enough period to get a stable value, but short enough that the actual value is useful to you.
The crap ones just update every so often, like Wilts said.

wyrdness
13-01-05, 02:08 PM
Had 2 of these recently going at 29mph when some git in a merc comes tear arsing past - flash flash, you laugh, kick down a cog and zip past him while he's cursing himself!

No tickets ever tuned up, as said the white lines on the road are your friends in this case, although I believe there may be a ruling that you can't be nicked if there are 2 vehicles in the picture? Correct me if I'm wrong!

Apparently you can still be done if there's two vehicles in the picture. Though it's possible that another vehicle could obscure your number plate.

A while back, I was riding to work on the North Circular, near Brent Cross, doing a bit (not too much!) over the speed limit. I overtook a white van, who seemed to take exception to this. White Van Man speeded up to try to overtake me again. I speeded up a bit, but not too much as I knew that there were traffic lights not far ahead. Sure enough, as we approached the lights they changed from green to amber. I hit the brakes and stopped. WVM started to brake and realised that he couldn't stop in time - I think that he was doing about 70 in a 40 limit - so carried on through the lights, which were red by this time. Unfortunately for him, those lights had a camera which flashed him as he went though. I had a good laugh. I've no idea why the pillock decided to try to overtake my SV, without giving himself time to stop if necessary. Of course, I've no idea if there was actually film in the camera.

Interesting factlet - Spitfire pilots used a similar tactic to bring down ME109's in the war. They'd dive towards the ground, the ME109 would follow. At the last second, the Spit would pull up and the german pilot would (very briefly) discover that his plane couldn't pull out of a dive as quickly as the Spitfire.