PDA

View Full Version : new honda hornet

pegasus
14-01-05, 12:20 PM
i apologise now for what im about to say ..... BUT!....
i really like the look of the new hornet...need to have a test ride...anyone else tried it yet?

greeno76
14-01-05, 04:55 PM
http://www.greeno76.com/Temp/invasive_tumbleweed.jpg

Jabba
14-01-05, 05:39 PM
i apologise now for what im about to say ..... BUT!....
i really like the look of the new hornet...need to have a test ride...anyone else tried it yet?

*kicks aside the tumbleweed*

It's not available until April.

This may sound like sacrilege (to other Hornet riders :wink: ), but there's really not a lot of difference between that and the current one. A few minor engine internals have been changed to make the engine a bit more "peppy" :? and those front forks, whilst looking nice, won't make that much difference. The bike was "sorted" before they started tinkering with it.

I think that both the 600 and the 900 will be changed next year so save your money. If you really must have one then fair enough as they're good bikes, but with the used bike market as it is, try getting a low mileage '04 ex-demonstrator.

lynw
14-01-05, 06:25 PM
is the main difference with the forks that the new hornet has the upside down ones?

out of interest, what difference do they or are they supposed to make?

Scoobs
14-01-05, 07:18 PM
is the main difference with the forks that the new hornet has the upside down ones?

They are supposedly stiffer than RWU forks. Heavier though too!

Warren
14-01-05, 09:50 PM
if i had a few more dollars in the bank, id def buy a hornet and streetfighter it.

if i had more balls and dollars, id def buy a hornet, streetfighter it, and consider adding a turbo to it :)

Jabba
14-01-05, 09:58 PM

They are supposedly stiffer than RWU forks. Heavier though too!

it's to do with "unsprung weight" and better ride/handling.

Jabba
15-01-05, 02:57 PM
Just read that the new USD forks are straight off a CBR600RR :shock:

Should be OK then :D

curium
15-01-05, 03:51 PM

If they were, surely the hornet would also have radial brake calipers?

Jabba
15-01-05, 08:01 PM

If they were, surely the hornet would also have radial brake calipers?

Twas what I read, but you must be right of course :D

Stupid magazine!!

Jp
16-01-05, 01:19 PM
Maybe they are from the CBR before they had radial brakes?

Scoobs
16-01-05, 01:56 PM
Maybe they are from the CBR before they had radial brakes?

CBR6 didn't have USD forks and "normal" brakes. Last year it used RWU forks, this year it uses inverted with radial calipers.

*slips anorak on*

Jabba
16-01-05, 05:48 PM
CBR6 didn't have USD forks and "normal" brakes. Last year it used RWU forks, this year it uses inverted with radial calipers

Resistance is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.

pegasus
17-01-05, 07:39 AM
as a matter of interest how does the hornet compare to our little sv? as far as handling...

Jabba
17-01-05, 09:00 AM
as a matter of interest how does the hornet compare to our little sv? as far as handling...

I suspect that the SV might turn in a bit quicker as a result of the Hornet's larger rear tyre. Then again, the Hornets larger rear tyre might give a bit more grip when banked over?

Not much in it really - both are pretty quick through the twisties I suspect.

Balky001
17-01-05, 09:23 AM
I suspect that the SV might turn in a bit quicker as a result of the Hornet's larger rear tyre. Then again, the Hornets larger rear tyre might give a bit more grip when banked over?

Having a larger rear tyre would normally only give you more grip on the upright, when banked the profile is more important, that's why people usually put on the smallest tyre on that they can get away with. I think SV would tip in and hold a line better, but doubt there's much in it. The new hornet does look rather nice though - still would prefer a CBR600RR though.