PDA

View Full Version : Earphones

Wiltshire7
15-01-05, 05:23 PM
I put my mp3 player on when i went for a ride today, made for a great ride! id reconmend it to anyone if they are out for a blast. Prodigy was my choice today.

Anyway, when i got back after a couple of hours my ears were bloody killing. Anyone got any adivce on good earphones for helmet use? i was using the normal in ear types u get with most things these days.

Cloggsy
15-01-05, 05:26 PM
Anyway, when i got back after a couple of hours my ears were bloody killing. Anyone got any adivce on good earphones for helmet use? i was using the normal in ear types u get with most things these days.

Get y'self some moulded earplugs made... You can get them fitted with earphones/hands-free kits if required :wink:

Wiltshire7
15-01-05, 05:26 PM
sounds good. any links?

Cloggsy
15-01-05, 05:32 PM
sounds good. any links?

They physically pump latex (or something) into your eardrum to produce the plugs... You'd have to source them locally... I saw them being made at the Bike show (NEC) :wink:

Stig
15-01-05, 06:35 PM
around the £50 a pair are they not :?:

Cloggsy
15-01-05, 06:36 PM

Summat like that... :D

Viney
15-01-05, 06:53 PM
Wearing music on a bike other than using autocom or similar, scares the hell out of me, and i like my music.

Scoobs
15-01-05, 07:13 PM
Wearing music on a bike other than using autocom or similar, scares the hell out of me, and i like my music.

I'm with you V. Too much of a distraction and would / could make me ride like a tw@ if I was listening to something like Prodigy.

Sound of the Scorpion on full chat is fine for me. Especially with 30 other SV's going through that tunnel on the way to Brighton on the end of season ride out last year.

Wiltshire7
15-01-05, 07:22 PM
thats quite a pic scoobs....

i guess ill have to find a place that make them then. what sort of places though? i wouldnt know where to start.

Scoobs
15-01-05, 07:32 PM
thats quite a pic scoobs....

i guess ill have to find a place that make them then. what sort of places though? i wouldnt know where to start.

Theres a place in Poole (Dorset). I can't remember the name though at the moment. i will have a think and if I remember I will let you know.

Look on t'internet for custom ear plugs or custom moulded ear plugs.

dclifford
15-01-05, 07:39 PM
I was using Sony MDREX71 earphones. The are like earplugs. They have 3 different size rubber pieces. I don't use them any more cos I lost the rubber pieces. They easily pop off the end. I only have the large ones left and they don't fit any more. I think I will have to bodge something up.
They are generally good because the are like earplugs and block out the wind roar. This allows you to hear the music.

Wiltshire7
16-01-05, 01:23 AM
just ordered a set of these:
http://www.pjbox.co.uk/MicroBuds.htm

with the multifilimant things. ill let u know if they r any good or not.

RandyO
16-01-05, 01:42 AM
I prefer to use small speakers fitted to the helmet. I don't listen to music, but I have a speaker for my Valentine V1.

nuntius
16-01-05, 02:08 AM
I was using Sony MDREX71 earphones. The are like earplugs. They have 3 different size rubber pieces. I don't use them any more cos I lost the rubber pieces. They easily pop off the end. I only have the large ones left and they don't fit any more. I think I will have to bodge something up.
They are generally good because the are like earplugs and block out the wind roar. This allows you to hear the music.

I'm sure this is what I've got, normally called sony fontopia in ear buds. Had mine for about 9 months of daily use and still no problems, and they come in two parts, a .5m cable and earphones, to plug into a remote, and a 1m extension, incase there is no remote. Only had one problem with the earbuds, once, as i sat down on a plane, one popped off, and i didn't spot it till literally we came down to land. They are supremey comfortable, just wish my nokia fitted them.

Also, I'd like to state that I think listening to music whilst riding is irresponsible

Wiltshire7
16-01-05, 11:05 AM
Also, I'd like to state that I think listening to music whilst riding is irresponsible

irresponsible? thats rather harsh. the only reason i ride is for pleasure and putting music on makes it more fun. thats why i did it, no other reason. i dont think i was riding any more dangerously than i would otherwise.

perhaps u shouldnt make such a sweeping statement, judging me to be irresponsible when i dont think ive even once spoken to u or riden with u.

Mariner
16-01-05, 11:16 AM

Nearer £130 a pair! They charge a standard £60 for normal fitted earplugs!

Grinch
16-01-05, 12:07 PM
I have a pair like this: http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/invt/rphs9s

http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/content/ebiz/panasonic/invt/rphs9s/rphs9s_full.jpg

Though they can rub the top ridge of your ear abit. Though you can move them and cushion with something.

kjames
16-01-05, 01:38 PM
i tried listening to the radio a couple of times on a morning but felt it affected my concentration too much... also couldnt hear it very well because of wind noise. i was using the standard nokia radio type headset though.

i might give it another go sometime in the summer.

Carsick
16-01-05, 01:40 PM
Music isn't the best of ideas when you're actually fighting traffic, but I find for long boring journies that it helps stop my mind wandering too much.

AlanSv
16-01-05, 08:44 PM
I've bought some moulded earplugs from

http://www.ultimateear.com/products_motorbike.html

they did a deal at the show, I think I paid about £50 for set with cords, but not with headphones in.

fizzwheel
16-01-05, 09:22 PM
Not sure about riding with music on...

Anyway I like to listen to my can when I am riding :twisted:

Grinch
17-01-05, 10:57 AM
Does anyone know of a cover that would make the round earphone plugs fit better?

Ceri JC
17-01-05, 12:01 PM
I put my mp3 player on when i went for a ride today, made for a great ride! id reconmend it to anyone if they are out for a blast. Prodigy was my choice today.

He he, Just try sticking to the speed limit around town whilst listening to Poison! :twisted:

I know you're not meant to listen to music via headphones when driving/riding (as it cuts out external noise), but surely normal earplugs do that? I reckon the only issue would be being distracted by the music (I read a study showed listening to fast music whilst driving makes you drive faster.)

I'm looking at one of the new ipod shuffles (512mb version) for the bike. Put it in a small waterproof bag inside my leathers...

If it's too noisy on the motorway, I might get some Shure in-ear headphones that block other sound.

nuntius
17-01-05, 12:57 PM
[quote=Wiltshire7]
I'm looking at one of the new ipod shuffles (512mb version) for the bike. Put it in a small waterproof bag inside my leathers...

Please don't, the ipod shuffle is the only bad thing apple have made in a few years. If you're wanting a flash media player, there are better alternatives, the best one being a phone which has memory cards (nokia 6230, 7610, sony p910)

Aaron
17-01-05, 01:49 PM
I had some custom ear plugs made at the Bike Show at the NEC a couple of years ago for £45. I think I remember seeing the stand at the Alexandra Palace (London) Motorbike show last year, so if youre London based, go and check it out in a couple of weeks when its on again.

As for being irresponsible to listen to music while riding, I have to disagree aswell, as long as you can still hear whats going on. When I listen to music, I just put one earphone in, then you can still hear traffic/sirens etc so isnt dangerous. Do those people who said it was irresponsible to ride and listen to music at the same time think it is also irresponsible to listen to the radio when driving a car?

Just curious........

Mariner
17-01-05, 01:50 PM
[quote=Wiltshire7]

If you're wanting a flash media player, there are better alternatives, the best one being a phone which has memory cards (nokia 6230, 7610, sony p910)

Don't bother with the Nokia, it has a set of dedicated headphones which are crap! Don't know if the others are any better, but I can state the Nokia headphones aren't up to the job!

I use a 258MB flash player off e-bay for £16 plus £7.99 delivered from Hong Kong! 256MB will give about 3.5 hours of music at 192 kps (or the entire collection of Pink Floyd at 112 kps). Just done a search on e-bay and found several 512MB players for around £30

Ceri JC
19-01-05, 11:43 AM
If you're wanting a flash media player, there are better alternatives, the best one being a phone which has memory cards (nokia 6230, 7610, sony p910)

Don't bother with the Nokia, it has a set of dedicated headphones which are crap! Don't know if the others are any better, but I can state the Nokia headphones aren't up to the job!

I use a 258MB flash player off e-bay for £16 plus £7.99 delivered from Hong Kong! 256MB will give about 3.5 hours of music at 192 kps (or the entire collection of Pink Floyd at 112 kps). Just done a search on e-bay and found several 512MB players for around £30

I've had MP3/Radio Phones and end up never using them. I try to avoid flattening phone batteries (particularly when out biking and may need to ring the breakdown folks!)

The key thing I want is v. small size with a decent storage capacity. I also want an internal rechargeable battery, like the ipod shuffle has, as opposed to an external AAA/AA battery pack (for size and I'm lazy when it comes to buying/recharging batteries- if I just have to plug into the PC's usb, it should be fine :) )

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Wiltshire7
19-01-05, 12:13 PM
i just ordered one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00069BU4U/qid=1106136742/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-4822067-7659812

meant to be tiny....

im gonna sell my 128Mb MP3 player if anyone is interested. its tiny and weighs nothing! takes 1 aaa battery.

£40. i paid £90 about 10 months ago. it has sound recorder and radio in it also.