PDA

View Full Version : A* GPS-3 boots

Jabba
20-01-05, 03:31 PM
Anyone got a pair? Any good?

Came top in a recent ride test of waterproof boots..........

Ken McCulloch
24-01-05, 01:28 PM
Jabba, I recently bought a pair of GPS boots. Just a few quid under the ton I think. These are not the waterproof version which are about £30 more. I am told that all A***s boots have all their seams taped and the only addition in the waterproof ones is a goretex liner with a gussety bit in the zip opening. I have worn mine quite a bit what with having a new bike, no problems at all, very comfortable indeed but also well constructed and confidence inspiring. Have kept my feet dry in heavy rain a couple of times. More impressive, they kept my toes warm on a 70m ride on Saturday in a temperature of 1C. (I know this cos the VFR has an air temp thermometer. I don't know why HondaSan thought that was important...) It was bloody cold.

Top kit, if they fit your feet you will be very happy. On the other hand if you want a pair of Sidi Black Rains size 43 nearly new for 60 notes I'm your man.

Jabba
25-01-05, 09:01 AM
On the other hand if you want a pair of Sidi Black Rains size 43 nearly new for 60 notes I'm your man.

What's that size in "real money"? :roll:

More to the point, why have you swapped from the Black Rains to the A*?

Ken McCulloch
25-01-05, 10:07 AM
On the other hand if you want a pair of Sidi Black Rains size 43 nearly new for 60 notes I'm your man.

What's that size in "real money"? :roll:

More to the point, why have you swapped from the Black Rains to the A*?
43 is about 8.5 in UK sizing. After wearing them a dozen or so times I decided they don't really suit my feet. I'm normally about an 8 but the size 42 (which usually = 8) was a bit tight across the front of my foot, so I wnet for the 43 which of course don't really fit well around the heel :roll: . So they are for sale. Nearly new.

Jabba
27-01-05, 12:39 PM
Bit too small for me, Ken. Sorry - I'd have had 'em off you otherwise :(

ryancor
04-03-06, 08:29 PM
I have a pair of Alpinestars GPS 3 waterproof boots. Comfort wise they are very good. They do take a bit a waring in so so don't be put off when you have to push and pull a lot at first and don't buy a size bigger just to make them fit. once you have worn them in they are very comfortable.

I am on my second pair now as I had some problems with the first pair. I found the velcro stopped sticking at the top of the boot and kept catching on my foot pegs, and each other when I was walking. I sent them back to have them repaired by Alpinestars but after a few months they did the same. I have recently taken them back again and have a brand new pair. According to the guy at Crescent Suzuki they have made a few improvements. The top edge of velcro is now tailored so it follows the contour of the boot making it stay in place.

As far as waterproofing goes I have worn them in all weathers including sustained heavy down pours for over an hour and haven't felt a drop come through.

I will be interested to see if the velcro fix is still working in a few months time but initial indications are good. I cannot praise Alpinestars and Crescent Suzuki enough for their customer service.