PDA

View Full Version : last year's rideout

ophic
24-01-05, 09:40 PM
does anyone remember where we went? got a vague idea but can't remember the specifics. Does anyone remember the exact roads and routes?

Cheers

BURNER
24-01-05, 10:25 PM
Hmm 'member we started at Glossop Tesco's, blasted up Snake Pass the A57 and then turned right at the reservoir. After that it's kinda vague but I reckon Ratty will remember or Amanda.
I'd check my map but I tore that page out to use on the day and haven't replaced the map yet :roll:

mrs fud
26-01-05, 12:18 PM
Ophic,

Unfortunately we didn't get there as we spent the day in piggin Rochdale hospital as my dad binned his bike on the motorway on our way to meet some of the gang at Glossop.

Hopefully make it without any "offs" this year.

Jo.

Amanda M
26-01-05, 12:25 PM
Snake pass up to the reservoir then right at lights, go through a village and the next big set of lights turn right. Then you have a choice, you can either turn off and go over Edale (which we didn't do) or head off towards Castleton. If you go towards Castleton, you go through Hope then after a while you need to take the road that veers off to the left of the main road past a tourist center. Then you go up through a twisty uphill road with rock slopes on either side. When you get to the junction at the top turn right and this road will take you to Chapel-en-le-frith.

HTH

ophic
26-01-05, 01:41 PM
Thanks Amanda :) was thinking of heading that way as soon as the weather improves

Amanda M
26-01-05, 01:44 PM
Thanks Amanda :) was thinking of heading that way as soon as the weather improves

If you do, give me a shout and I'll pop along.

ophic
26-01-05, 01:50 PM
certainly will unless i do it at a moments notice - you know the sort of thing - look out of window, sun's out, off i go...

in fact if i give myself a half hour headstart before calling u, i bet u'll still catch me :shock:

Amanda M
26-01-05, 01:58 PM
certainly will unless i do it at a moments notice - you know the sort of thing - look out of window, sun's out, off i go...

in fact if i give myself a half hour headstart before calling u, i bet u'll still catch me :shock:

I'll still be getting used to the raptor so I'll be taking it easy :twisted:

Ratty
26-01-05, 10:48 PM
Ophic

Look up this route on your map. As Amanda has said, this is most of your Rideout route.

From Glossop: A57 Snake Pass towards Sheffield. Turn right after Resovoir onto A6013 for Bamford. Follow road to the end and turn right onto A625, through Hope and onto Castleton. Left turn onto Winnets Pass which is Amanda's climb up through the rocks. Turn right at the top and then sharp left to continue on the remainder of the A625 (the bit in the middle collapsed years ago). This is the fast downhill thrash to where we turned onto the A6 for Buxton, BUT....Carry straight on under the by-pass and onto and straight through Chapel-en-le-Frith. You will eventually come to a set of lights where there is a left turn onto the B5004 (long Hill) to Buxton. Take care along this classic bikers road. Decending off Long Hill into Buxton town centre there is a spur road to a right turn as the main road bears left. Take this Spur onto the A53 towards Leek. After a mile or so you go through a set of lights and turn right about 300 yards further onto the A537 Cat & Fiddle pass sign posted for Macclesfield. Gently cruise over the Cat and decend into Macc observing the speed limits and you will come to a set of lights. Turn right at the lights and proceed to the next roundabout. Take the third exit for Kettleshulme and stop at Tesco's for lunch. Carry on along this road to Whalley Bridge and when you come to the lights at the end, go straight through to Chapel-en-le-Frith and retrace your steps back or turn right back onto Long Hill for lap 2 (if your riding with Wigan 650!!!).

Give us a call when you do it cos I'll like to tag along too.

Ratty

ophic
26-01-05, 11:40 PM
awesome Ratty - the bits i remember and was trying to find are around Castleton, but the rest of the route looks awesome too. I'm hoping the weather clears up and i get a free weekend soon cos i'm itching to get out.

Will certainly call ppl before i go :) keep an eye out for a thread on it

M65
27-01-05, 08:17 AM
I'll be up for a bit of this when it comes about! Love that route. Only done it a couple of times and would like to do it again. Some great roads along the way.

Viney
27-01-05, 08:20 AM
It was a Tanfastic ride. Didnt really think much of the Cat n fiddle bit to be honest, but the return leg back to thingy house was top dollar.

The cat n fiddle would be great if it was a one way road with better surfaces. Still good though.

Never had sooo much attitude from car drivers as i did up there, and this comes from someone who rides in london :shock:

Amanda M
27-01-05, 08:44 AM
The cat n fiddle would be great if it was a one way road with better surfaces. Still good though.

hell yeah :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Amanda M
27-01-05, 10:36 AM
Ophic

Look up this route on your map. As Amanda has said, this is most of your Rideout route.

From Glossop: A57 Snake Pass towards Sheffield. Turn right after Resovoir onto A6013 for Bamford. Follow road to the end and turn right onto A625, through Hope and onto Castleton. Left turn onto Winnets Pass which is Amanda's climb up through the rocks. Turn right at the top and then sharp left to continue on the remainder of the A625 (the bit in the middle collapsed years ago). This is the fast downhill thrash to where we turned onto the A6 for Buxton, BUT....Carry straight on under the by-pass and onto and straight through Chapel-en-le-Frith. You will eventually come to a set of lights where there is a left turn onto the B5004 (long Hill) to Buxton. Take care along this classic bikers road. Decending off Long Hill into Buxton town centre there is a spur road to a right turn as the main road bears left. Take this Spur onto the A53 towards Leek. After a mile or so you go through a set of lights and turn right about 300 yards further onto the A537 Cat & Fiddle pass sign posted for Macclesfield. Gently cruise over the Cat and decend into Macc observing the speed limits and you will come to a set of lights. Turn right at the lights and proceed to the next roundabout. Take the third exit for Kettleshulme and stop at Tesco's for lunch. Carry on along this road to Whalley Bridge and when you come to the lights at the end, go straight through to Chapel-en-le-Frith and retrace your steps back or turn right back onto Long Hill for lap 2 (if your riding with Wigan 650!!!).

Give us a call when you do it cos I'll like to tag along too.

Ratty

Nice one Ratty! My original plan for the rideout last year was to go via long hill but some folks turned off onto the A6 so I'd have lost them if I'd have done that. It's one of my favourite roads that!

Anonymous
29-01-05, 12:36 AM
i liked the snake pass bitty. got lost after the cat and fiddle teach me to follow sp1ke lol

that road we went on the way back amanda you know the 50 limit one :twisted: :twisted: was great though

splke
29-01-05, 09:50 PM
You can't blame me for that :P

I would be up for this ophic lad if you wanna give us a shout

chog
29-01-05, 11:33 PM
:D A ggod alternative is after castleton at the top of Winnits pass turn left and then go to sparrowpit, then go left again and take the road (A625 i think ) to Chesterfield at Baslow take the road for sheffield and then pick up the Snake A57 back to Glossop.
When you thinking of going, I am working away for the next 3 weeks and then again in May, but would love to tag along if possible. :twisted:
Chog

ophic
01-02-05, 07:43 PM
my god this idea has caught on! was waiting for a nice bit of weather and need to fix my sticky gear lever before any serious riding. Also got decorating to do and my weekends are normally spent either with my son or working... so please don't anyone hold their breath... :?

Jp
03-02-05, 01:26 AM
It was a Tanfastic ride. Didnt really think much of the Cat n fiddle bit to be honest, but the return leg back to thingy house was top dollar.

How dare you!!

I love the cat, i even bailed up there in the summer, and i went back for more!

I think its the best road iv been on in this country

M65
03-02-05, 08:20 AM
Put my name down too if this rideout happens. The Cat run is superb.

Amanda M
03-02-05, 08:25 AM
It'll probably happen many many times when we finally get nice weather 8)

M65
03-02-05, 08:38 AM
It'll probably happen many many times when we finally get nice weather 8)

YIPPEE!!! :lol:

zx6man
03-02-05, 09:46 AM
I'll have some of that too....honest..already been out on bike 3 times this year.. :D

Captain Nemo
03-02-05, 11:42 AM
can i come too, i only live in tingley so im close to ophic and sp1ke

lets not wait for the weather lets go now !!!

zx6man
03-02-05, 11:44 AM
what bike you ride Capt, wil keep an eye out for ya.....

Captain Nemo
03-02-05, 12:53 PM
what bike you ride Capt, wil keep an eye out for ya.....

blue 04 svs 650s, blue and white stripe roof daytona helmet, red jacket( got it before the bike) and the fact that im a really really big lad also means you cant miss me.......