PDA

View Full Version : Should I ?? TL 1000 s

26-01-05, 02:01 PM
Ok so some of you will have read the post in iddle banter, but i met some of you so you might be more suted to answering,

I have the option to change to a TL, ok so a monster of a bike, but i wreckon physicaly i can handle it, and im getting some advanced training to go with it!

I need to change as the sv is uncomfortable, due to my height and size!

i cant go bigger withoug going trailee or bigger cc, and i want to stay v twin?

Do you think i should?

image here

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=142893179

its an old ins write off in need of some inor touch up on the paint, there giving me a stonking deal on the sv as mines an original cat c supplied by them fully repaired.

thoughts and comments very much welcome.
Insurance is acceptable at £700 tpft at 19!!

Cheers All
Alex

Amanda M
26-01-05, 02:12 PM
Hiya,
Well, having just gone from the SV to a bike with a TL engine in it you'll notice a big difference. The TL is fuel injected and the throttle response is instant which takes a bit of getting used to! It's a cracking engine though. The physical size might suit you more than the SV - I couldn't get a TL because they're way too big for me, hence the raptor!

As for buying a cat C write off... Do you know anyone who knows bikes very well to go and have a look at it with you? They might spot something you don't and will be looking at it with their head not their heart if you know what I mean.

Good luck if you do get it :D Let us know how you get on 8)

HTH

Amanda

26-01-05, 02:17 PM
Hiya,
Glad to hear u and the raptor are getting on well!!

My uncle is a bike fan, i wonder if he is busy at the weekend, ill pop over to see it if im lucky.

My current bike is a cat C, so i know the usual story, plastic welds, possible bent mirror hangers etc etc, so will check this all out.

Do need a bigger bike if im going to ride a lot this year!!

Thanks
Alex

ophic
26-01-05, 02:17 PM
as far as handling it is concerned, i doubt it will bite you if you take it easy. Fast bikes don't have to be ridden fast.

Other v-twin options are something like a honda firestorm?

Amanda's advice is sound - get it checked over thoroughly before commiting yourself.

28-01-05, 09:05 PM
bike isnt a write off and im going to test ride it tommorrow if the weather holds, or monday if it doesnt!!

Woopee, now must control right hand!!
Wish me luck

Alex

Jelster
29-01-05, 12:00 AM
When I got my Falco the first thing I learned was to give the bike respect, especially this time of year. The TL is infamous for it's poor handling under certain situations, but I'd still love to ride one :lol:

Take it easy, learn the bike before taking any chances.

FUBAR
29-01-05, 10:25 AM
They dont call them the " WIDOWMAKERS" for nothing..........seriously brutish bike, forwarned is forarmed.........RESPECT is required, as the man above said......

Cloggsy
29-01-05, 10:59 AM
Looks a crackin' bike, in the best colour :wink:

By the look of the size of those end-cans I bet it'll be noisier than a stampede in a thunderstorm :twisted:

30-01-05, 01:08 PM
Looks a crackin' bike, in the best colour :wink:

By the look of the size of those end-cans I bet it'll be noisier than a stampede in a thunderstorm :twisted:

Thats the hope,
My ins company will cover me to ride it home but thats all, then ill have to change them! :(

Well today is sunday, i called the yest morning as the weather was ok here, but was raining in whitlsea! so i gave it a miss,

Today is sunday, good weather, still damp in places but mainly dry, called them - yes youcan come over but you cant ride it because we have discover a water leak!!!!!!! DOH DOH DOH,

well have it ready for wednesday, " but ive taken monday off short notice to go and test ride it" oh ok, one minute, we can have it test ride worthy but u cant take it away tommorrow"

DOH DOH DOH!! well at lest the gasket will be done b 4 i get it (if i do)

so heres hoping the weather is gonna b ok tommorrow,

oh then went to tax the sv online so i can take it out " sorry but we cant locate ut MOT certificate" grrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

well here to sum more polishing, getting it ready for inspection!!
On a more serious note, i am gonna take it very easy and learn what i can do with it, and not give it a chance to show me who's boss.
Apparrently a lot of the handling woes are unfounded and have bee sexed up, but ill find out soon enough!!

All the best
Alex

Amanda M
31-01-05, 08:58 AM
Good luck with it! Let us know how you get on!

FUBAR
01-02-05, 07:57 PM
Yes Sireeeeeeeee, hope ya get it m8, if its what you are set on........have fun but f.f.s take it easy................enuff said :shock:

FUBAR
01-02-05, 08:00 PM
Has anyone else noticed that there are 4 days between our original joining dates, me on the 6th and Amanda on the 10th, have you also looked at the post count !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me a measly 221

Amanda 5706 yes 5706

now dont that tell the whole story, once ya start a woman chatting ya just cant stop her............sheeeeeeesh

Amanda M
02-02-05, 08:22 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: How true!!

02-02-05, 09:22 AM
Well.... What can i say!!!

Firstly, im alive and it most certanly sisnt eat me alive or atempt to!!

so heres a quick run down of the day, get on sv firdt time de restricted,
and go to get tax (yes for 1 day :x ) didnt notice much of a difference cept when i took it down the a14!! its quick ok, but not punch u in the face type powerfull like i had expected and wanted, but its really good now.
Any way, bike taxed, i blat to whitlesee.
The bike isnt ready!!!

And to cap it off, i was under the impression trade plates were tax and insurance, but there not, there just tax!

So im left unable to take it for a tesat ride :( However!!!!

I call CIA, can u do anything about this?? "NO", what, ur joking, y not? we just cant, grrr.... i hang up, i call back, "listen, can i buy the rest of the policy then get a refund later"?? "no sir, the bike isnt registered in your name" grrr, but it says here you are insured to ride other bikes???

at tthis point im very confsed, but lacking the energy to argue, "fax that through please" (longer story short) i think CIA managed to insure me through a clerical error!!!!

Any whoo, jump on the bike, after looking it over, ..... Loud???? this things was embarissingly loud!!!!
sod off down the road, first impressions, are that the engine is a peach (this one did have running problems), sooo smooth (oh and an ignition advancer), very easy to ride at low speeds,
then i got it onto the open road......WOW WOW WOW, me me me me me i want one now,

this feeling didnt wear off all day, (i had the bike for 4 hours) however there were the following problems with the bike,

front fender was broken
indicators speed up when u rev
whole thing needs a re spray,
brakes felt damp
reat tyre needed replacing v soon
clutch cable was knackered (i stalled it cause of intermitant biting point)
race cans gave me a headache and started to **** me off!

All these things i dnt want to have to fix, and the cost is about 600 quid, so 2400 + 600 = £3000
and i know of a place i can get a mint import with low miles for 3k!!

So despite how much i love the bike, and want one sooooooo much, i dont have 3k, and neaither to i have the time to sort the TL out, let alone the money!

so its still there, im disapointed there were these other things wrong with it, i was hoping all it might need was a re spray, but as it needs the rest of the work, its out of my buget.

Getting back on the sv to ride home was a dissapintment, it felt damp, and wet, the engine felt weak and the bike bounced around,
but after cruising home on the sv, with its new found top end thanks to de restrictoin, im glad i kept it, i tucked it way, all shiny and looking real mint, the tl, whould have bugged me to spend hundred on it to get it looking as good as my sv, and for me, thats what a lot of biking is about, feeling like ur bike is the best looking in the world, even if it isnt.

The tl was great, and riders in whitlesee are ace guys down there, the TL was a lot more comfortable and i felt like it fitted, which was my main hope 140 comfortabel miles! so if there is another one, in better nick for the same price, my dream may still become a reality.

The bike didnt scare me, and i always felt in control, however, keep an eye on the speedo, as it can have you soon going over the limit and well into the licence loosing zone, in the tim eit take the sv to do 60 to 80 the tl is stomping well past 100!!

if you think you cant handle one, ur probably wrong, its gentle and will look after u if you bow down to it and kiss its tyres first! the oinly scary moment i had wasi accidently dropped the cluthch cause of the doggy cable and spun a bt010 up!!! it just gently reminds u it can bite, but doenst want too most of the time.

Thanks for all ur advie guys, hope u find this intersting,
Safe riding all
Alex

So despite how