PDA

View Full Version : very cheap exhaust mod "idea"

kwak zzr
01-02-05, 10:03 PM
my sv650sk3 is a great bike but as you know it sounds like a sewing machine,is there any way of modifing the original exhaust to sound abit beefer?
"could you" and i mean could you ! drill the internals out of the original can !!! about 12 inches down the original can there is a plate which stops the can having a straight through build this forces the gasses and noise around the sides and through the exhaust packing.
i was wondering if you could drill a hole through this plate to release some more noise! the engine would then map its self wouldnt it?
i am as you can guess to tight to buy a race can and i dont fancy cutting the system to a new bike.
any ideas?
daz (midlands)

Carsick
01-02-05, 11:23 PM
You can drill it to make more noise indeed.
I think there's a bit of a guide on how to do it on the svrider.com site (tip, get a big drill, make it spin, shove it in the end)
Not something I'm keen on doing, personally, since I'd like to be able to return the bike to more or less stock when I come to sell it.
As for the remapping itself, no, it won't adjust itself, but I don't suppose you'll make a big enough difference to make a remapping worthwhile.

rictus01
01-02-05, 11:27 PM
thats pretty much what I was doing to bikes about 30 years ago.

whether the dynamic threshhold is great enough to adjust to this type of thing is anyones guess, but I think you should be OK (that's a guess by the way, no guarantees)

I might indeed do this myself on mine but only because I'll be fitting a standard exhaust back on (and I have three, so if it doesn't work I can just bin it).

Let us know if it works and what sort of improvement it makes to the sound.

Cheers Mark.

wyrdness
02-02-05, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't do this, as you can't then re-fit the original exhaust for your MOT. You'd be better off buying a cheapish aftermarket can.

Rune
02-02-05, 08:46 AM
I think Wyrdness is right but if plan on doing it anyway have a look at this that I lifted off Svrider:
Anyone who owns an SV650 knows that the stock muffler makes the engine sound like a lawnmower. If you want better sound without the expense of aftermarket exhaust and rejetting, go down to the local hardware and pick up a drill bit extension (approx. 13" long) and a good quarter inch steel cutting bit. Chuck the extended bit into your drill and insert it into the end of the muffler until it bottoms against the inner baffle plate. Carefully drill through the baffle in three or four equally spaced places (use a flashlight). Don't worry about the shavings since they will be trapped or blown out and cannot reach the motor. Add holes till you get the amount of sound you want. You won't believe how much better it will sound with no loss in performance. Later on, when the piggy bank is fat, spring for a slip on and rejett with a K&N filter. It's worth the price in performance gains, believe me!

Anonymous
02-02-05, 09:23 AM
I dont think you would run into MOT problems as its still e-marked I I dont think they do a db test, but am probably wrong!

But anyhow when I got my SV I was reading about this and someone else said it sounded pants and therefore they ended up getting a slip-on (or had it fixed, cant remember). So if I were you make sure if you try it there some cash for a slip-on waiting just in case!

kwak zzr
02-02-05, 09:54 PM
my local dealer told me that remapping wouldnt have to be done on the fuel injected models,just start it up without touching the throttle and leave it for about a minute while it re adjusts.
daz (midlands)

Junior
18-05-05, 06:53 AM
I've done it to mine. (no MOT to worry about here though). It sounds slightly louder than stock, and slightly raspier as well. Kind of like a mellow aftermarket exhaust. I drilled 6 1/4" holes in said baffle, withno problems. Basically I drilled a couple, started it up, drilled a couple more, etc. till I got a sound I liked. As for legality I have no idea.

Anonymous
18-05-05, 07:41 AM
Since posting last about this I read that its a fairly common mod on the v-strom too which isnt a million miles away. On the v-strom tho you can unbolt the end plate and then drill away so its probably easier.

Glad someone has posted whos done it tho.

kingnothing
18-05-05, 01:01 PM
here's the link..... http://forum.svrider.com/viewtopic.php?t=38130

simmosv650s
18-05-05, 04:58 PM
Aye up Daz,

Thought you had a scorp mate? hope you aint knackered it ragging the baffles out! or are you just experementing?

What's the date for turnhill? me check has come through an my ride is gettin tarted up to the MAX!!!!!
Been ages scince i last rode it though, gettin withdrawal symptoms. lol

simmo

kwak zzr
20-05-05, 06:29 PM
still got the scorp mate! i posted this thread way before i got my end can and was looking for a cheapo way out!
i will e mail you when the next turnhill run is on, how the sv coming on mate?
daz

simmosv650s
21-05-05, 07:35 AM
Right got ya!,

The back end is done now, picked up a new clear lense brake light that has built in indicators it looks cool. i just need top fairing and a tank now, still aint got the cheque from the insurance yet, so i'm slightly stuck but i know where i can get all the bits i need. c u l8r buddy