PDA

View Full Version : wheelies

Itching 2 go
03-02-05, 11:21 AM
jambo and i were chatting last night and it got me thinking. in one way or another i have wheelied every bike i have ever owned. also some i didn't. how about you guys? i know the sv is your first bike for many of you and you may not have done a wheelie yet. but even hoisting it 2 inches counted in our chat so how about it?

big ones, little ones, you ever wheelied all your bikes? if not how many have you? just wondering

fizzwheel
03-02-05, 11:22 AM
I couldnt wheelie my 125 it didnt have enough power :oops:

Yes I have wheelied my SV, but it was un-intentional

Itching 2 go
03-02-05, 11:24 AM

Yes I have wheelied my SV, but it was un-intentionali did but i used the aid of a full top box and a mate on the back :oops:

Mogs
03-02-05, 11:24 AM
The SV - didn't want to, it just happened.

keithd
03-02-05, 11:25 AM
never wheelied a motorbike.

my BMX no probs.... :oops:

want to but i'm mechanically sypathetic and dont want to knacker the clutch, headstock and anything else. just about confidence i guess.

Itching 2 go
03-02-05, 11:26 AM

want to but i'm mechanically sypathetic and dont want to knacker the clutch, headstock and anything else. just about confidence i guess.not even while accelerating and hitting a bump or crest in the road? non intentional ones count!

mysteryjimbo
03-02-05, 11:28 AM

Yes I have wheelied my SV, but it was un-intentionali did but i used the aid of a full top box and a mate on the back :oops:

I did a wheelie on my 125 cruiser once!!!! Got the front wheel off the ground about 5 inches with a huge amount of revs.....

I've done one on every bike i've every had, intentional and unintentional.

fizzwheel
Also somebody said to me that he seized his SV by doing wheelies..

Apparently when you get it up on the back wheel it starves the front cylinder of oil which makes the engine seize, anybody else found this or heard of it ?

jonboy
Wheelies? How irresponsible. :lol: :lol: :lol:

keithd
03-02-05, 11:29 AM

want to but i'm mechanically sypathetic and dont want to knacker the clutch, headstock and anything else. just about confidence i guess.not even while accelerating and hitting a bump or crest in the road? non intentional ones count!

i ride like a poof. never had it in 5th....

its gone very light and i think i may well have lifted but i snapped the power straight off in a mild panic! ok it wasnt as bad as i've made it sound but i need to be more confident before attempting for real. hopefully my impending track day will sort that out!!!

fizzwheel
03-02-05, 11:30 AM
best one I did was pulling away from a junction and turning right into a main road, gave it a handful up comes the front wheel whilst I was turning, I cant work out how I managed to get the bike to finish the turn as I distinctly remember feeling it pivot round to the right on the back wheel

Rode off down the rode with a big grin on my face :oops:

keithd
03-02-05, 11:30 AM

Apparently when you get it up on the back wheel it starves the front cylinder of oil which makes the engine seize, anybody else found this or heard of it ?

strewth! is he wheelying for an hour at a time?

or is it wheelieing

Tara
03-02-05, 11:31 AM
Not wheelied yet but i've been on the back of a bike when the rider has :shock:

Itching 2 go
03-02-05, 11:32 AM

Apparently when you get it up on the back wheel it starves the front cylinder of oil which makes the engine seize, anybody else found this or heard of it ?yes the early ones suffered from this but there was a recall done on them to fix the problem

fizzwheel
03-02-05, 11:32 AM
Dont know but the guy is a nutter, he's got a GSR-750 now with no chicken strips on front or back tyre and the edges of both are all chewed and melted where he corners so fast

jambo
03-02-05, 11:33 AM
Every bike but my SR125!

I apparently hold the record for highest uncontroled wheelie after taking the VT500C cruiser I had for a couple of months and gunning it off thew lights with Benji on the back, long story short Joe's pillion turned round and saw the whole exhaust system and I was convinced I was going to flip it, controlled it... just! :roll:

The others have been less impressive / terrifying and ranged from a couple of feet of air to an inch or so, usually accelerating hard 2 up :lol:

Itching 2 go
03-02-05, 11:34 AM
Dont know but the guy is a nutter, he's got a GSR-750 now with no chicken strips on front or back tyre and the edges of both are all chewed and melted where he corners so fasthmm you sure he aint buying part worn track tyres? or doing loads a track days? tyres shouldnt do that on the road unless they are so under pressure that they look flat!

Itching 2 go
03-02-05, 11:36 AM
Every bike but my SR125!

I apparently hold the record for highest uncontroled wheelie after taking the VT500C cruiser I had for a couple of months and gunning it off thew lights with Benji on the back, long story short Joe's pillion turned round and saw the whole exhaust system and I was convinced I was going to flip it, controlled it... just! :roll:

no you didnt you bounced it off the floor and your wrist snapped the throttle open again!up she goes. yopur vt was a good bike to learn how to wheelie on. how irresponsible were we in the carpark that night? :oops:

fizzwheel
03-02-05, 11:37 AM
Dont know but the guy is a nutter, he's got a GSR-750 now with no chicken strips on front or back tyre and the edges of both are all chewed and melted where he corners so fasthmm you sure he aint buying part worn track tyres? or doing loads a track days? tyres shouldnt do that on the road unless they are so under pressure that they look flat!

Yes he does by part worn tyres and he does loads of track days

fizzwheel
03-02-05, 11:38 AM
Oh and I went over a bump the other day that got me into a tankslapper and picked the front wheel right off the ground

yes yes officer maybe I was going a tad to fast :oops:

Cloggsy
03-02-05, 11:40 AM

Kinesin [-(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tara
03-02-05, 11:45 AM

Kinesin [-(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope not Kinesin, someone else about 6 years ago not funny at the time as he didn't warn me

Scoobs
03-02-05, 11:47 AM
Wheelied the SV. Huuuuge wheelie! High, not long. Front end right up followed by me snapping off the throttle, followed by a nice testicle to tank interface! :shock: :oops:

keithd
03-02-05, 11:49 AM
Wheelied the SV. Huuuuge wheelie! High, not long. Front end right up followed by me snapping off the throttle, followed by a nice testicle to tank interface! :shock: :oops:

this is what i'm scared of! sahoona's the size of mine means just getting on and of the girl is a danger :oops:

fizzwheel
03-02-05, 11:49 AM
followed by a nice testicle to tank interface! :shock: :oops:

nobody warns you about that do they, dont half make your eyes water doesnt it :oops: :shock:

fizzwheel
03-02-05, 11:51 AM
I've been thinking about this some more, maybe we should have another poll for all the dumb things you've done a bike

Flamin_Squirrel
03-02-05, 11:52 AM
SV yes, quite a lot of them but not very good at carrying the front wheel for very long.

Ninja, no, it's harder on a sports 600 and got the bike towards winter so haven't had much time to "play".

What!? I thought you can just power wheelie a ninja... can't do that on an SV.

I've done a couple of small wheelies away from the lights.

MavUK
Both the GPZ500s and the SV... Neither intentional...

Stu

Scoobs

nobody warns you about that do they, dont half make your eyes water doesnt it :oops: :shock:

Yes!

Mind you once the pain had worn off I had a huge smile on my face. Couldn't stop laughing.

fizzwheel
03-02-05, 11:53 AM

Yes!

Mind you once the pain had worn off I had a huge smile on my face. Couldn't stop laughing.

me to

Oh and I wheelied the 600 bandit that I had as a courtesy bike as well

Itching 2 go
03-02-05, 11:57 AM
SV yes, quite a lot of them but not very good at carrying the front wheel for very long.

Ninja, no, it's harder on a sports 600 and got the bike towards winter so haven't had much time to "play".

I've done a couple of small wheelies away from the lights.you can but lee rides like a girl!

coombest
03-02-05, 12:03 PM

I beg to differ!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I have done several power wheelies but never a full, intentional, front well off the floor and hold it types!

Even had the front come up (and go down again!) under acceleration in first, second and third gears!! :twisted:

The funniest time I was on a bike when a wheelie was 'performed' was the other week!

I was still nowhere near full fitness/strength but went on the back of Ian's (chutz) bike (had to get my fix somehow!!). Some cretin car driver pulled right across our path at a set of traffic lights - it was our right of way & he just didn't look at all! Ian yanked on the anchors to avoid me being sent skittling up the road for the second time in as many months and before you could blink, he'd accelerated away to prevent the idiot behind us from wiping us out! :x Next thing I knew I was sat on the pillion seat thinking I was in an 'odd' position and the engine was making a lot of noise!
Then I heard the insane laughter coming from inside Ian's lid!! :lol:
Rapidly followed by mine!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Itching 2 go
03-02-05, 12:04 PM

I've done a couple of small wheelies away from the lights.you can but lee rides like a girl!

Not quite the same mate.

My SV used to wheelie off the throttle in first and 2nd too at a push and would powerwheelie all the time. The Ninja will wheelie in first and second off the throttle BUT, and here's the but... On the SV, you can wheelie at 20mph in first. On the Ninja because the powerband is higher in the rev range, to wheelie off the throttle you are doing about 40mph+... which is a little scary and dangerous for someone who's not good at wheelies! If you wanted to clutch it up, you could do that at much lower speeds but my confidence / skill level is not high enough to do that.

Oh, and Joe, f**k off :D :lol:lmfao

Frosty
03-02-05, 12:10 PM

strewth! is he wheelying for an hour at a time?

or is it wheelieing

I don't have my SV now :( I think I did bad things to it whilst on the rear wheel for too long ! :shock:

Frosty
03-02-05, 12:31 PM
Oh, and I have wheelied every bike I have had. The hardest being the
1984 VF 1000F Honda, the bike weighed around the 17 tonne mark.
I have never wheelied with anyone on the back, I might be a bit of an idiot
but if I throw it down the road then it's just me that gets damaged.
The R6 is way too savage to wheelie in first, but from 70kmh (45mph) in second.......WOOOOOHOOOOO! and putting the front down and hearing the tyre chirp at 145kmh. :lol: :lol: :wink:

Cronos
03-02-05, 05:16 PM
The last bike I wheelied was my Grifter! :oops:

Spiderman
03-02-05, 06:45 PM
Only once on the Sv and that was by "accident". well the guy in the car was about to crunch my leg as he wasnt looking so i had to twist it hard to get away.... and wooo up it came.
If the twit hadnt proceeded to get out his car i would have kept trying them all the way home :lol:

But i wann do wheelie school this year at some point, £300 for a day i think but at least i get to learn on a 1200 bandit with anti-flip bars out the back of it. Cant wait 8)

Jabba
03-02-05, 07:56 PM
Clutched the Hornet up pulling away from lights, etc a few times. Only about a foot or so. Unintentional and frighteningly easy the first time. Only had the bike a day :lol:

They tell me she'll power up in 2nd at about 6000rpm from a closed throttle but I'm too chicken to try that :oops:

I try not to do 'em, though, as it's not big and not clever :^o

:lol:

Stig
03-02-05, 08:04 PM
Everybody that knows me, knows that I don't wheelie :!: :!: :!: :!:

coombest
03-02-05, 08:10 PM
Everybody that knows me, knows that I don't wheelie any more without falling off in front of scooter boys :!: :!: :!: :!:

True, true!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

H-Gerickemark
03-02-05, 08:17 PM
yes but not intentional,

was going along a road that I thought I knew fairly well and when I get to a certain point on the road I know I can drop a gear or two and get a bit of speed up, anyways - was fallowing a friend down this road saw him dissapear and as I dropped a gear and opened the throttle I hit a speed bump!! Some clever person decided to pedestrianise the area and put those annoying little speed bumps in ( the ones that have two side by side) every few hundred yards along the road. A good point I suppose is that it slowed me down and there doing the job.

Part scary,part funny, bit like getting the bike sideways for the first time :D

Mark

coombest
03-02-05, 08:19 PM
yes but not intentional,

was going along a road that I thought I knew fairly well and when I get to a certain point on the road I know I can drop a gear or two and get a bit of speed up, anyways - was fallowing a friend down this road saw him dissapear and as I dropped a gear and opened the throttle I hit a speed bump!! Some clever person decided to pedestrianise the area and put those annoying little speed bumps in ( the ones that have two side by side) every few hundred yards along the road. A good point I suppose is that it slowed me down and there doing the job.

Part scary,part funny, bit like getting the bike sideways for the first time :D

Mark

How on earth didn't you see the speed hump in the road!!?? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

H-Gerickemark
03-02-05, 08:30 PM
after four years of using the road most days and not looking for it, saw my mate go - must of gone straight between them and just caught the side of it.

got to say I use that road more now though.

And it also taught me a serious lesson - do not chase friends, there may be no no pedestrians/cars/dogs/cats but that still doesnt mean you can accelerate hard over speed bumps.

D'oh!!!

Jdubya
03-02-05, 08:34 PM
Yes I have wheelied my SV, but it was un-intentional

Same... 8) :D :D :D :oops:

Grinch
03-02-05, 08:55 PM
I've wheelied all my bikes, apart from the GT750 I've just got. Though most of the time I never planned it that way.

jonboy
03-02-05, 09:08 PM
apart from the GT750 I've just got.

Suzuki "kettle" or Kawasaki workhorse/tourer?

Mr Toad
03-02-05, 10:40 PM
Did my first wheelie coming back from BigApe's BBQ.
I hadn't had the bike very long, and was impressed with Batman and Robin blipping their throttles as we came through town, so when I got a bit nearer home I had a little practice . . . but forgot to pull the clutch in . . . :oops:

northwind
04-02-05, 12:45 AM
I'm too scared of the pelting I'd get on here to wheelie the SV properly... Though I can't get out of the hairpin at Knockhill without doing a nice clutched one :) I always chicken out and piull the clutch in on the entrance so the revs are through the roof when I let it back in, and up we go, can't help it...

I scraped the mudguard on my Virago 125 by letting the clutch out in neutral thinking I was in first, then ham-fistedly (or footedly) banging it into gear while it was still practically at the rev limiter... That's not "wheelied and controlled it", that's "would have flipped it if it hadn't had a big steel mudguard like a wheelie bar", all on a bike that probably should be impossible to wheelie, what with its massive length and weight, and 8hp...

All the best wheelies are accidental!

Smiffy
04-02-05, 01:03 AM
I wheelied my GP100 over backwards off the clutch. NOT one of my finer moments!

Trying to impress girls on a 12bhp motorbike is a tough ask and I failed miserably :oops:

Grinch
04-02-05, 11:51 AM
apart from the GT750 I've just got.

Suzuki "kettle" or Kawasaki workhorse/tourer?

That will be the workhorse.. have a 130mile journey to do every day and its killing the SV.

jonboy
04-02-05, 01:00 PM
Ah that Kwak will last forever, bullet-proof engine by all accounts.