PDA

View Full Version : 12V compressor for tyres

embee
12-02-05, 05:55 PM
I've had one of these for a few years, bought in Austria but a generic one made in Taiwan/Indonesia/China or wherever, seen them sold here too under a different name. Anyway, it's worked fine, noisy and rattly but fine.

Been looking at carrying something for emergency puncture repair for touring abroad. I object to forking out £25 for Ultraseal and never needing it, so considered the options.

Decided on some sealant as used in Smart cars (bottles available from them, at least it has a manufacturers name behind it), and some means of inflating. Could use the CO2 cylinders, but looking at the (above) compressor, the actual workings are quite small, and decided that would be a good option (take the motor/pump out and cut down the hose/lead to fit under seat).

M&P also carry "Progressive" repair kits, and you can get just the plugs and glue for a few quid, so may well carry those as a belt+braces approach.

Anyway, saw a cheap and cheerful compressor in Argos catalogue, "Challenge", £12-99, cat no. 750/5838, so got one to cannibalise. Bottom line is I'm very impressed, it's well made, much quieter and smoother than the other one I have. Torch works well, has a flash and a red lens to fit, even comes with a spare bulb. Only minus is the pressure gauge - seems accuirate but goes to 300psi (yes, 300!) so is difficult to read at 35psi.

If you want a cheap tyre inflator, this is well worth £12-99. :thumbsup:

embee
14-02-05, 10:24 PM
Just a follow up.

I got the "Smart" tyre sealant today from the local Mercedes Benz/Smart dealer. It's made by Continental (as in the tyre company) and has a small "ContiKit" name on it, and they should know what they're doing.

It costs £16-47 for a 500ml bottle which comes with a filler pipe and a spare valve core. It's intended for one car tyre application, you only add it after the puncture, so you need some means of blowing the tyre up (compressor or CO2 cartridges).

I reckon it should be plenty to do 2 bike tyres, and I'm looking for a suitable 250ml plastic bottle so I can share it between 2 bikes.

Also note that it has a shelf-life of 3yrs, and unfortunately the bottle I got has only a year left (probably fine for +another year I'd guess), so check it if you get some.

I'm wondering if it's available direct through Conti? I'll get in touch with them, maybe even a bike specific pack??