PDA

View Full Version : South Wales drinky- TUESDAY 22nd MARCH - THE ANCHOR - 7:30PM

valleyboy
20-02-05, 09:59 PM
Just testing the water....

anyone interested ??

Probably Cardiff.... AFTER 6 Nations is done and dusted please!!!

Throw some dates in the air!

RenamedMonkey
21-02-05, 09:07 AM
Once dates are set I'll make this post a sticky.

Mogs
21-02-05, 10:17 AM
The final round of the Six nations is on the 19th March, when Wales will be awarded the Trophy and England a certain culinary item made out of old oak.

So how about Friday 25th March, I’ll probably be on the bike, so “Testing the Water“ maybe apt.

Jabba
21-02-05, 11:41 AM
The final round of the Six nations is on the 19th March, when Wales will be awarded the Trophy and England a certain culinary item made out of old oak.

I believe you mean one of these?:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/twoponds/sv650/England.jpg

Might be able to do a quick drinky. Can I recomend either the Butcher's Arms or The Black Lion in Llandaff? The former is a well-known local rugby haunt and the other has Rev'd James on draft.

Baldyman
21-02-05, 03:55 PM
BO***CKS :evil:
but I don't want you thinking I'm biting in any way :wink:

Good job welshmen have a long memory and will remember how to celebrate

Jabba
21-02-05, 04:35 PM
but I don't want you thinking I'm biting in any way :wink:

You want there to be food involved? :lol:

Good job welshmen have a long memory and will remember how to celebrate

Aye - but they drink so much that they forget why they're celebrating in the first place............... hence the talk of 1970s, Gareth Edwards and that Try, etc - all short-term memory erased by alcohol :lol:

Ceri JC
22-02-05, 10:29 AM
Might be able to do a quick drinky. Can I recomend either the Butcher's Arms or The Black Lion in Llandaff? The former is a well-known local rugby haunt and the other has Rev'd James on draft.

Heathcock is my regular Llandaff haunt (my old "School Pub" :oops: )

I'm pretty much tied up all early March, but once a date is sorted, I'll see if I can come.

Mogs
22-02-05, 10:39 AM
I didn't realise that the 25th is Good Friday, so me out on a "selfish biker do" would not go down too well at home.

How about Thursday 24th.

Jabba
22-02-05, 01:38 PM

Bishop of Llandaff?

Jabba
22-02-05, 01:40 PM
I didn't realise that the 25th is Good Friday, so me out on a "selfish biker do" would not go down too well at home.

And I forgot that I'm flying out on hols that morning :oops:

How about Thursday 24th.

Not for me I'm afraid - driving to Gatport Airwick overnight...................

Time for rethink.

Mogs
22-02-05, 02:00 PM

Bishop of Llandaff?

I went there - hated it! I wager Ceri went to Glantaf HS.

How about Tuesday 22nd.

It can’t be after Jabba’s Holiday, who wants to hear about what a lovely time he had with Mickey Mouse. Jealous me? Noooo.

Jabba
22-02-05, 02:40 PM

Bishop of Llandaff?

I went there - hated it!

My missus went there....................probably a year or two younger than you though :P

I wager Ceri went to Glantaf HS.

Wonder if Ceri JC knows one of the English teachers there, Mrs Abbott (neé Lewis)?

How about Tuesday 22nd.

It can’t be after Jabba’s Holiday, who wants to hear about what a lovely time he had with Mickey Mouse. Jealous me? Noooo.

I'll send you a postcard :P

Ceri JC
22-02-05, 04:02 PM

Bishop of Llandaff?

I went there - hated it!

My missus went there....................probably a year or two younger than you though :P

I wager Ceri went to Glantaf HS.

Wonder if Ceri JC knows one of the English teachers there, Mrs Abbott (neé Lewis)?

How about Tuesday 22nd.

I'll send you a postcard :P

Yes, I went to Bishop of Llandaff. I had a couple of mates in Glyn Taff though. I do remember Mrs. Lewis (as she was when I was there) if you mean the one at Bishop: Nice woman and she knew her subject well. She'd probably remember me too- I was forever getting into trouble in her class, yet turned out some killer work (got a perfect "full marks" for a GCSE short story- she was most impressed!)

How do you know her?

Jabba
22-02-05, 04:11 PM
Yes, I went to Bishop of Llandaff. I had a couple of mates in Glyn Taff though. I do remember Mrs. Lewis (as she was when I was there) if you mean the one at Bishop

Sorry - crossed wires. Miss Lewis/Mrs Abbott is an English teacher at Glan Taff.

Ceri JC
22-02-05, 04:26 PM
Sorry - crossed wires. Miss Lewis/Mrs Abbott is an English teacher at Glan Taff.

Ah, righto :)

Mogs
25-02-05, 09:12 AM
I was there on and off, (mostly off), from 1974 to 1981

Mogs
25-02-05, 09:19 AM
Putting it back on track

How about Tuesday 22nd. - Heathcock, 7.30pm?

Jabba
25-02-05, 10:23 AM
How about Tuesday 22nd. - Heathcock, 7.30pm?

Tuesdays are good for me - it's my night out anyway :D

valleyboy
25-02-05, 04:52 PM
I have no idea where half of these places are!!!

I was thinking more central cardiff... but that also might be a bad idea!

Jabba
26-02-05, 10:57 AM
I have no idea where half of these places are!!!

Can you find your way to Llandaff?

The Heathcock is adjacent to the mini-roundabout by the BBC.

The Black Lion is on the corner of the main road through Llandaff and High Street. The Butcher's Arms is on High Street next to the Spar shop. The Malster's Arms is opposite the Black Lion.

There used to be another pub, a "spit and sawdust", called The Mitre which served draught scrumpy but that was knocked down in the early 1980's :(

I was thinking more central cardiff... but that also might be a bad idea!

Yeah - very expensive and some of us have to go to work the next day :(

valleyboy
26-02-05, 11:04 AM
lol! Well, i can get off the train in Llandaff.. and find my way from there!

Jabba
26-02-05, 11:17 AM
lol! Well, i can get off the train in Llandaff.. and find my way from there!

That's not a bad idea actually :thumbsup:

The Llandaff train station is actually on the border of Llandaff North and Whitchurch :? and about 100yds from my house. Its a 20 minute walk to the pub from there. Daft as it sounds, Fairwater station is nearer to Llandaff, but you'll probably have to change trains at Radyr to get there.

I wouldn't recommend any of the pubs in Llandaff North. There's one called "The Pineapple" which sounds nice, but "The Pickled Onion" might have been a more appropriate name.

Mogs
03-03-05, 08:16 AM
How about "The Anchor" in Taffs Well, that's not too far to walk/stagger/crawl back the the railway station and its on the Ponty line, good for VB and Jabba, I'll be on the bike (prefered) or in the car.

Ceri JC
03-03-05, 03:15 PM
I'm around this weekend if anyone fancies a (soft) beverage and natter at the heathcock (or, if you'd rather, the blue anchor)? Let me know, cheers.

Mogs
03-03-05, 03:22 PM
Sorry can't make this W/E, Mothers Day on Sunday, got to keep Wife, Mother and Mother-in-Law happy.

The Mass
08-03-05, 07:57 PM
How about "The Anchor" in Taffs Well, that's not too far to walk/stagger/crawl back the the railway station and its on the Ponty line, good for VB and Jabba, I'll be on the bike (prefered) or in the car.

Mogs, is that the "Mongolian" ?

Superb!

Is someone going to give this thread a bump?

Only problem being Mrs Mass goes out Tuesday nights - Netball...another wrong shaped ball thing :roll:

valleyboy
08-03-05, 08:18 PM
Anywhere along that line is fine by me.... will probably book the next day off... will also have to check last train time as well....

Mogs
09-03-05, 08:18 AM

Superb!

Only problem being Mrs Mass goes out Tuesday nights - Netball...another wrong shaped ball thing :roll:

Mass - Yes it is.

If a "bump" means make a decision then.....

TUESDAY 22nd MARCH - THE ANCHOR (http://www.yell.com/search/ShowMap?scale=5000&clarifyIndex=&clarifyOptions=&replayURL=%2Fucs%2FUcsSearchAction.do%3Fooa%3Don%2 6searchType%3Dclassic%26companyName%3DThe%2BAnchor %26location%3DTaffs%2BWell%26scrambleSeed%3D625%26 ooascrambleSeed%3D&searchType=classic&panY=0&panX=0&location=TAFFS+WELL&nat_id=250840) - 7:30PM.

Now all you need to do is cancel the Netball :lol:

Is everyone else :D with this?

Ceri JC
09-03-05, 11:41 AM
I can't make Tuesday (or any weekday for that matter). I only return to God's country at weekends... :( :wink:

The Mass
12-03-05, 08:55 PM

Superb!

Mass - Yes it is.

If a "bump" means make a decision then.....

TUESDAY 22nd MARCH - THE ANCHOR (http://www.yell.com/search/ShowMap?scale=5000&clarifyIndex=&clarifyOptions=&replayURL=%2Fucs%2FUcsSearchAction.do%3Fooa%3Don%2 6searchType%3Dclassic%26companyName%3DThe%2BAnchor %26location%3DTaffs%2BWell%26scrambleSeed%3D625%26 ooascrambleSeed%3D&searchType=classic&panY=0&panX=0&location=TAFFS+WELL&nat_id=250840) - 7:30PM.

Now all you need to do is cancel the Netball :lol:

Is everyone else :D with this?

Sounds like a plan Mogs,

Let me sort out Mrs Mass :wink: And I'll let you know - I can't imagine it being a problem. And haven't been the Mongolian for ages :)

But count me in for now :thumbsup:

Jabba
21-03-05, 03:03 PM
OK........... is the pub north or south of the train station?

Mogs
21-03-05, 03:18 PM
North

See Here (http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=312500&Y=183250&width=700&height=400&gride=312266&gridn=183310&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=pc&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=CF157RB&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&zm=0&scale=5000&multimap.x=335&multimap.y=274)

The Mass
21-03-05, 07:35 PM
Lads,

I can't make it :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I let Jabba know yesterday, Mrs Mass wont give in on going to play Netball - so I've gotta do the baby sitting, even though I didn't go footy training tonight :x

Anyway, Have a nice time you lot, and I will definately see you all soon..

Mass

valleyboy
21-03-05, 09:28 PM
Im thinking of riding down....

Im too knackered to stay out late again!

The past months nearly killed me off with the rugby!

The only problem is I dont trust the god damn locals at Taffs Well!

Well, still on the hire bike.. and at least that has an alarm!

If Im there, Im there.. if Im not.. Im asleep!

Jabba
22-03-05, 08:56 AM
I'll be there, and I'll be drinking - even if it is on my own :D

Will be on the 19.22 from Llandaff and will be at the pub just after 19:30 :thumbsup:

How many will be there - just the three of us?

The Mass
22-03-05, 09:10 AM
I'm gutted that I can't make it lads... :cry:

Mrs Mass having none of it. Not even for an hour or so.. :roll:

Have a goodun.

Mass

Jabba
22-03-05, 08:57 PM
Okay................here's the obvious question:

"Where was everyone?" :(

I was there at about 7:35pm, had a pint of Guiness and listened to Dr Feelgood on the jukebox........ on my own :roll:

Stayed until just gone 8:00pm, walked about a bit outside and then caught the 8:27pm train home...........

Bit early for an April Fool, chaps :lol:

valleyboy
22-03-05, 09:19 PM
We shall have to arrange one that we can actualy turn up for!

Sorry I didnt turn up.. not feeling the best at the moment... would probably have fallen asleep half way down the A470!

Right! backup dates! what were they ??

Mogs
24-03-05, 08:42 AM
Sorry Jabba.

PM with personal apology on its way.

I've lost you phone number.