PDA

View Full Version : Music on Bike

TSM
22-02-05, 10:44 PM
Just wandering if people listen to music while they ride.

Do you only do it on long motorway rides, quiet night time riding, during the day in the city.

Mythkind
22-02-05, 10:46 PM
I don't listen to music but I have been known to break out into song if that counts. :oops:

MK

Carsick
22-02-05, 10:47 PM
When I'm doing long cross country trips I put some music on, I find that my concentration drops too easily if I don't have something other than the white lines.
City riding with music is often a bad idea.
I don't do it when I'm riding purely for fun, either.

keithd
22-02-05, 10:51 PM
no, think my concentration would suffer if i had music on.

Ed
22-02-05, 10:54 PM
I love the whine from the IL4, and anyway wear earplugs so no.

Carsick
22-02-05, 10:59 PM
I don't listen to music but I have been known to break out into song if that counts. :oops:

MK
I also do that, I've had many a look at traffic lights as I pull up, still singing the song that's been going through my head all day.

nuntius
23-02-05, 12:01 AM
I too sing almost constantly.

I don't think that I have enough ability as it is, and riding with music on with hamper my ability further.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologise, becuase last time this topic was brought up I called anyone who would listen to music irresponsible, which was really stupid of me, as I have no idea what you skill is like. I would, however, be irresponsible is I rode with music on.

Carsick
23-02-05, 12:25 AM
I don't think that I have enough ability as it is, and riding with music on with hamper my ability further.

The ability to have music on and still ride isn't about ability, it's about how it affects your concentration.
For example, I have been known to be an absolute loony while listening to music, but then, earplugs have the same effect on me.
When I'm on a longer journey the main problem is my mind wandering far too much and I get hypnotised by the white lines; since this is obviously a bad thing, I tried listening to music and found that while listening to music I knew well and it helped keep me alert on the really long journies.

shutdown
23-02-05, 09:14 AM
i've yet to try listening to music but i have a few long trips coming up in march when i read from here to Southampton. as it's motorway all the way i might try it with the ipod and see how it goes

Grinch
23-02-05, 09:34 AM
I don't use music at the moment as have ear plugs in and I think the nosie levels would be damaging, I'd have to invest in some decend headphone/ear plugs first. Unless someone has some ideas, oh and I tend to sing to myself.

Cloggsy
23-02-05, 09:39 AM
No, never...

Iansv
23-02-05, 09:47 AM
Only time I ever do it is on long boring motorway trips, never if I need all my concentration, and I leave the volume low so I can still hear other sounds, just something to hum along too

Spiderman
23-02-05, 09:58 AM
Yes, almost always... unless the batteries have run flat. And i carry a spare battery just in case. ;)

Small mp3 player that i bought cos i got sick of singing the same old songs to myself whilst on the bike.

Some of the soho peeps have seen my setup, my earpice headphones are set into the lining of my lid so that there is a good gap between them and my ears. At speeds over 30mph i cant even hear the music but that was what i wanted. 8)

I dont wear ear-plugs cos i feel too detached from the road so this works really well for me.

if i'm out for a ride with mates then i tend to leave it at home.

Grinch
23-02-05, 10:29 AM
I've found these:
http://www.pjbox.co.uk/pics/koss-THEPLUG.gif
At http://www.pjbox.co.uk/KOSS-PLUG-KOSS-THE-PLUG.htm

or these:

http://www.pjbox.co.uk/MicroBuds.htm

http://www.pjbox.co.uk/pics/microbuds.jpg

Might be a better idea as they should act in a simlar way to earplugs filtering the damaging nosie but you'll be able to keep the stereo at a low volume thus avoiding other damage.

pegasus
23-02-05, 12:59 PM
only on longer trips, and only then as background music to hum to