PDA

View Full Version : eBay Auction Question

Mike1234
23-02-05, 03:29 AM
Interested in your opinions on using eBay as my experience of almost 70 doesn't match up with some views being put forward but buyers aho are trying to get out of their winning bids.

Carsick
23-02-05, 03:33 AM
P+P should always be assumed to be extra unless it specifically says it's free or included.
If it doesn't say the P+P in the auction I always ask what it is before I bid.

Mike1234
23-02-05, 04:00 AM
Indeed. Especially true when the auction says:

Postage, payment details and return policy

Services available
Check item description and payment instructions or contact seller for details.

Will post to United Kingdom.

Scoobs
23-02-05, 07:28 AM
P+P should always be assumed to be extra unless it specifically says it's free or included.
If it doesn't say the P+P in the auction I always ask what it is before I bid.

I'm with Carsick on this one!

rictus01
23-02-05, 07:50 AM
you should include a postage cost on the auction.
but if not then I normally ask before for confirmation, however expect it to be reasonable, as in at actual cost, and if nothing is specified then the seller should be flexible about postal method.

I always include a preferred postal method and cost, and thats what they pay(usually special delivery), provided it isn't to much bother I'll use a suggested different method( confirming with the buyer he is willing to risk no insurance) and add a couple of quid for packing.

Cheers Mark.

timwilky
23-02-05, 08:54 AM
Having sold stuff on eBay I am outraged at some P&P prices. I use parcel2go (DHL) who will charge £10.56 to shift upto 25kg in the UK. So assumming that you have to buy a bit of packaging material (Bubble wrap/tape etc.) No P&P should ever exceed £15 for normal parcel weights

GSXR Carlos
23-02-05, 09:00 AM
i personally would ask, but i selected the third option, as i never expect an auction to include postage, as this would mean a starting price or £10 for almost every item,

i'm with you mate, good luck

shutdown
23-02-05, 09:20 AM
so many people make more money just through the p&p

i'd been looking for a few things and they were cheaper than the shops but once p&p was added it was nearly always 30% more expensive

Cloggsy
23-02-05, 09:20 AM
I always pack the item & have it weighed before posting an Ad on eBay... I'm normally 'put off' bidding if there isn't a postage price listed, although I will ask the seller the question before bidding :!:

I always post items 1st class recorded or 'special delivery' too (at the buyers cost) - at least this way I can confirm receipt of the package :wink:

Ceri JC
23-02-05, 11:29 AM
Some sellers take the **** with P&P. I've seen USB pen hard disk type mp3 players (obviously weighing well under 500g) costing £20, with a £10 P&P charge!

I'd only ever object to P&P charges if:

I bid last minute (ie because I only found the auction with half hour left, not auction sniping) and don't have time to check P&P with the seller/they don't get back to you in time. And the auction only lists something like "buyer pays P&P", with no specifics given.

If then, I won and got the total and the P&P surcharge was far more than could be reasonably justified ("I pay my packers £50 an hour" isn't a viable excuse! :wink: ), I'd refuse to pay. I'd probably first say something like, well, take it to the post office, ask them to wrap/post it, get a reciept for it and I'll pay that.

northwind
23-02-05, 08:02 PM
I never list a postage cost, because I never know where I'll be posting to or how it's to be posted... it can lead to confusion (like the Yank kid who bought a 100 kilos of guitar amp from me and thought I'd ship it to him for the same as it would be in the UK "Since airfreight's the same everywhere". :roll:

But then, I try to make my listings impregnable to the terminally dim after that one- so I've got a stock paragraph that sets out that postage is extra, insurance is extra and is your responsibility, what payment methods I can take etc.

You've done nothing wrong but overestimate your buyers :)

Barty_b0y
24-02-05, 02:36 PM
im in a debate over P+P at the moment over a double bubble

i know theres P+P on top im not disputing that what i am disputing is the amount

£12 to P+P a double bub that if id packed it for a tenner sent it to him to

he would have had it next day and as yet i havent got mine so im gonna moan on feedback when it eventually gets here

if it hasnt come by monday im gonna paypal clawback and F*(K HIM

but no i dont think you`ve done anything wrong

Maybe its me but £12 for a dub bubb not next day is scandalous

northwind
24-02-05, 04:04 PM
Yep, I charge everything on Paypal at cost, unles they want something really inconvenient like courier shipping. Anything else just seems basically dishonest. I nearly bought a wheel once till I saw the post and packing was £50 :shock:

Iansv
24-02-05, 04:06 PM
well currently there is a clock surround with more expensive postage than a wheel !! :roll:

RenamedMonkey
24-02-05, 04:47 PM
Shouldn't this be in IB?

I agree with Carsick.

Phoenix
24-02-05, 05:35 PM
The whole reason this problem with postage happens is because ebay take such huge cuts from people's sales not just in ebay but since they own paypal too they are making a fortune.

So the easiest way for people to get round it is to lower the sale price and raise the postage as ebay's listing fee and final value fee dont go on how much the postage is at all, not saying its right but then if postage is to high best just not to buy it.

I know ebay costs are partly high because being a member of rip off britain a certain % is taken for tax.

I dont like to bid unless postage has been put in the ad or really want it and contact seller for price.

Stig
24-02-05, 08:08 PM
If postage is not stated I ask before I bid. End of story.

Oh and I've moved this to IB

emjay
24-02-05, 10:47 PM
Were postage is listed, I just make sure I include this in what I am prepared to pay, ie: adjusting my maximum bid to suit, easy.

But to go back to the original subject, I tend to steer clear if postage is not specified unless it's something I really want, in which case I'd likely check postage with seller before hand.

Have to admit to not be an experienced hand on ebay.

shutdown
25-02-05, 10:55 AM
i just bought an old commodore 16 (classic computer! and was my first as a child)

it cost more to post it than the actual item