PDA

View Full Version : Tyre choice for high speed riding

chris SVK3
27-02-05, 08:13 PM
Hi Guys/Gals,

Im looking for a set of new tyres, but i imagine my problem is the same as many others I looking for the ultimate, tyre loads of grip & lots of mileage.

You see Monday - Friday going to work & back, weekends out with mates Gixer 1000.

PS I need help in corners but I want a least 4000 miles out of rear tyre
any advice please

Thanks

Red ones
27-02-05, 08:18 PM
Never had any probs from my 020's they have more ability than me on corners and give a good 5,500 to 6,000 miles on teh back

rictus01
27-02-05, 08:22 PM
what sort of experience have you got?

without the right understanding the tyres giving loads of feedback could feel nervous to you and make you slower in corners.

you will also have to compromise for that sort of mileage from a tyre.

the set of Rennsports I had fitted last year, were without doubt the best tyres for cornering, but only return 1850 miles from the rear :shock:

I can't give you a definitive answer, without understanding how you interpret tyre feedback.

Cheers Mark.

chris SVK3
27-02-05, 08:41 PM
i have being riding for about 2 and half years done a mallory park superbike school and ride GSXR1000. I have changed front suspension to suit my weight and the rear shock to a GSR1000 K3. Now i find the D220 tyre dont grip that bad (I konw how much therse are hated) only out of high speed corners do i get a side. The thing is i dont want to buy a tyre that i dont need or just for name sake but i dont a tyre that makes the tyre feel like wet poo

UncleBob
27-02-05, 08:50 PM
what sort of experience have you got?

without the right understanding the tyres giving loads of feedback could feel nervous to you and make you slower in corners.

you will also have to compromise for that sort of mileage from a tyre.

the set of Rennsports I had fitted last year, were without doubt the best tyres for cornering, but only return 1850 miles from the rear :shock:

I can't give you a definitive answer, without understanding how you interpret tyre feedback.

Cheers Mark.

Im knew to this too - what kind of feedback can we expect from a tyre? Wobbly? Slippy? bumps? Or moaning to get the washing up done?

Im looking for a set of 020's but I'm also unsure as to what they will make a k5 bike feel like?

jonboy
27-02-05, 09:02 PM
Im looking for a set of 020's but I'm also unsure as to what they will make a k5 bike feel like?

Absolutely no different to a K1, K2, K3 and K4 ;).

Sid Squid
27-02-05, 09:54 PM
and an 'X' or a 'Y'.

chris SVK3
27-02-05, 10:51 PM
At the momen im thinking about BT010 front & BT020 back does anyobdt have experience with this combo on K3 model or know of one better

jonboy
27-02-05, 11:11 PM
It really doesn't matter if it's a K3 or not, all SV's have more or less the same geometry.

An 010F/020R combo is fine but you'll wear out the tyres together so don't expect two rears to a front as the 010 does wear quickly. Also an 020 front should be slightly better for high speed straight line stability (you'll also get two rears to a front).

You might also want to consider a Metz Z6 or Conti Road Attack, both of which are likely equal (if not better) than an 020 but will give you considerably more mileage.

The fact is, it's almost impossible to buy a bad tyre today and the difference between sports and sport-touring tyres in real world conditions is quite small. I'm convinved that if you were to change someone's tyres for another make without telling them, most people really wouldn't notice.

rictus01
28-02-05, 08:51 AM
Im knew to this too - what kind of feedback can we expect from a tyre? Wobbly? Slippy? bumps? Or moaning to get the washing up done?

Defining feedback from a tyre, Hmmm, tricky one that, but I'll give it a go.

Every tyre has certain characteristics, the feel before and during “brake away”, it’s reaction to varying pressures, the way and time taken to build up heat enabling the full amount of grip to be obtained, the amount of side wall flex, compound reaction, internal structure and wet and dry performance of these.

All these things give subtle signals back to the rider as they change, the ability to read them and use that information, or indeed the confidence, is what makes some riders better than others on the same make of tyre, of course some don’t have this ability and just use “blind faith” copying what a similar shod bike can do and get away with it.

the less experienced normally prefer tyres which give less signals back,allowing them to use what they have ( more signals is generally interpreted as "nervoiusness") as this gives them confidence to use them, however with greater understanding on more responsive tyres, you can squeeze just a little more from them with a higher degree of safety ( if you know where the edge is you can go upto it and use that extra).

Hope that makes sense to someone other than me :?:

Cheers Mark.