PDA

View Full Version : Arai and shoei

adamfool
28-02-05, 06:07 PM
need a new helmet, have narrowed it down to an astro J or a XR-1000.
the astro is slightly more comfy when on, but when putting on and taking off i get a bad rubbing, almost like a friction burn, on the side of my face between my eyes and ears. was just wondering if anyone on here had the same thing with a new arai, or have i just got an odd head :lol:? it's just one of those things that'd wind me up enough not to buy it.
personal opnions on both would be greately appreciated :D

SPeeeeDY
28-02-05, 06:28 PM
I have an Arai Quantium f and it fits like a glove, i dont have any complaints, I know it is not an astro J but the build quality will be the same. I will not buy anyother make of helmet now (apart from offroading)

Only thing that scared me was the loud click of the visor opening! but there is a knack to it and very easy to learn.
The helmet is the quietest i have ever had.
The arai helmets are designed for the european head shape (long vertically) and most other makes are designed for 'other continent' shapes eg longer horizontally. If that makes any sence :roll:.
There are different linings you can get for most arai's which accomodate for most head shapes and sizes

Hope this helps

SPeeeeDY

H-Gerickemark
28-02-05, 06:57 PM
arai have 5 shell sizes, if you go to dealer you should be able to find a good fit.

Mark

Cloggsy
28-02-05, 07:45 PM
HG Mark... Why did HG stop stocking Shoei :?: :?

darylB
28-02-05, 07:46 PM
I've gor a shoei xr1000 and it's brill, quiet, comfy, and u can get different thicknesses of cheek pads, plus the visor is a doddle to swop, also comes with a pinlock system for anti fog inserts to stop misting. can't really fault it apart from the fact it wasn't cheap. Daryl :D

Sid Squid
28-02-05, 08:00 PM
I prefer Arai, but they're both excellent lids, get the one that fits best, every other consideration should be secondary to that.

H-Gerickemark
28-02-05, 08:13 PM
basically shoei pulled the plug when hein gericke changed from a german company to a american company for fear of problems. (not really shoei but feridax, which is why hein gericke no longer do sidi boots). Now no one at HO will approach feridax and ask for shoei lids back and feridax wont say sorry. so no one will back down which means no more shoei.

BUT WE ARE GOING TO DO SHARK HELMETS THIS YEAR!!

Are they any good? honestly have no idea????

Mark

AlVal
01-03-05, 09:44 PM
I just got my new lid, an agv demon v top at hein gericke in luton, good time of year to buy with the sale, down from 130 to 99

zx6man
02-03-05, 10:09 AM
I have the xr1000. Best lid I have ever bought. best vents as well, they work very well in the hot summer. the glasses i wear went straight on with the arai, slighty more difficult twith the shoei but no real problem.

zx6man
02-03-05, 10:14 AM
I just got my new lid, an agv demon v top at hein gericke in luton, good time of year to buy with the sale, down from 130 to 99

these are decent for the cash. Think the xr1000 was 300.

Dan_SV
20-03-05, 04:53 PM
I used to have a Quantum F, now I have an XR1000.

I never used to be able to get on with Shoei's, but the later revised shell shape has really done the trick. I prefered the fact they were lighter than Arai's also.

See if you can borrow some mates lids, and have a blast about. Riding with them on is the only real way to judge a lid.

Dan.

wheelnut
20-03-05, 06:17 PM
I have an Arai Quantium f and it fits like a glove, i dont have any complaints,

Isnt it supposed to fit like a Helmet? :P

I have the comfiest helmet I have ever worn, an AGV Flyer, but I want a Kagayama Rep, XR1000

I had one on order, but it took so long to arrive I cancelled it. cut off my nose to spite my face etc.

The only problem with the AGV is the demisting qualities, or misting up. Maybe my heavy breathing :P

$i
21-03-05, 01:00 AM
ARAI! ARAI! ARAI! :D

Had a shark S500, then a shoei raid, then a quantum f, now an astro J. A bit louder than the shoei but its the most comfortable helmet ever and now ive bought an arai i doubt i'll ever buy anything else!
expensive but well worth it and comes with a 5 yr warranty if anything goes wrong with it like worn chinstraps etc.

H-Gerickemark
21-03-05, 07:40 AM
arai condor - comfiest lid ive had,anyone worn one of them back to back with an xr1000?

Mark

wyrdness
21-03-05, 08:07 AM
I had a Shark, before my Shoei Raid. I prefer the Shoei. The best Shoei feature is the visor quick-release mechanism. You can swap visors in seconds, or remove it easily to give it a quick rinse under the tap when it's grubby.