PDA

View Full Version : Oxford First Time Luggage

Ceri JC
01-03-05, 12:16 PM
Don't bother if you need something waterproof- I've used mine maybe a dozen times in the rain and the supplied waterproof covers are ripped to shreds (initially just v small holes, but these soon spread). I tried taping them to begin with, but now there are so many holes it'd be more tape than cover!

The pannier covers are gash too- they leave the back (ie side nearest the rear wheel) of the bags exposed. Half an hour on a wet road and the contents were soaked (and I have a hugger and the stock mud guard!)

So, good value for money if you'll only use it in the dry, but don't bother thinking about using it in the wet :?

will
01-03-05, 01:30 PM
i'd be inclined to argue for a replacement if it's all fairly new - if it's supplied with a rain cover then it is expected to be used in the wet, and should stand up to more than a dozen times in the wet.

thanks for pointing this out - better luck next time!

Ceri JC
01-03-05, 04:49 PM
i'd be inclined to argue for a replacement if it's all fairly new - if it's supplied with a rain cover then it is expected to be used in the wet, and should stand up to more than a dozen times in the wet.

thanks for pointing this out - better luck next time!

Yeah, I've emailed them pointing that out, still waiting for a reply. I'm only really annoyed as I'd planned a couple of long weekends touring/camping this summer and I won't want to go/enjoy it as much if I can't guarantee my kit'll be dry (wind chill on wet clothes when walking is unpleasent, at 80mph, after a couple of days of it, it'd be bloody uncomfortable).

I'm amazed more bags (of all sorts, not just biking) aren't waterproof. Even good rucsacs usually need liners to stay dry :(

Ceri JC
08-03-05, 04:01 PM
Well, they've not responded to two seperate emails (different departments)... looks like it's time to write a letter.

Moo
08-03-05, 04:21 PM
The sports panniers are better used them loads of times in the wet, never used the covers and even though out of habit I put everthing in plastic bags inside the contents have never been wet.

Ceri JC
10-03-05, 11:01 AM
Oxford have just gotten back to me, they're sending free replacement rain covers. They also mentioned that the First Time luggage is their budget range and if I'll be doing much wet weather riding, to consider Humpback Luggage (this year they've started including waterproof zips). Hopefully my new covers should last till I can afford to change to the Humpback range.

Well done Oxford, good customer service! :thumbsup:

Ceri JC
11-03-05, 09:28 AM
Update- Package from Oxford arrived this morning: They've sent me two sets of replacement covers for the worst affected bag, one of which looks to be thicker/tougher than my previous one, as well as a spare pair of pannier covers and an '05 oxford products catalogue.

All within 24 hours getting my address, good work! :thumbsup: