PDA

View Full Version : Which Political Party?

snoopy
02-03-05, 09:44 PM
For political research purposes please answer the following poll.

Who would you want in power next and why?

Cronos
02-03-05, 09:53 PM
Hmmmmmmm :-k What's the question?

What Party would you like to see sink into oblivion, what party has the best policy on defence. what party serves the most ice cream and jelly? :?

Where are the other parties? LibDems, Green, etc, etc.? :?

Carsick
02-03-05, 09:55 PM
Yeah, where's LibDem, they are a mainstream party, at least.
Ok, they have bugger all chance of being elected above the tories or the new tories but at least their chances are better than the green party.

Ed
02-03-05, 10:05 PM
Screaming Lord Sutch for me :wink:

jonboy
02-03-05, 10:22 PM
Yes if there was an intelligently worded question some people might be prepared to answer.

shutdown
02-03-05, 10:24 PM
never thought i'd see politics on here

another post i'll have to ignore

Spiderman
02-03-05, 10:51 PM
how come 7 peeps have voted and yet there is no question to vote on?

government shmovernment :roll:

carelesschucca
02-03-05, 11:16 PM
I take it this is only for Middle England???

Where's the Scottish National Party or Plaid Cymru...

Lib Dems not in there either!!!

Having mentioned them, I certainly won't vote for the SNP, what have they given the Scots??? A Scottish Parliament that came in over so over budget they could have flown the overpaid idiots who work in it to the moon cheaper (one way ticket)... it also has so little real power its laughable, at least they stopped people smoking in enclosed public places, like pubs :shock: ... Glad I voted against having another level of fools attempting to run the country...

I find it difficult to vote for Labour cause Tony Blair and his clan are LIARS...

I also have trouble forgetting that Michael Howard's nose is still covered in a certain Mrs Thatcher's brown stuff... Sad to say that I remember she had a total contempt for anyone who wore a blue collar and did a shift...

Sorry rant over!!! :lol:

Spiderman
02-03-05, 11:24 PM
I find it difficult to vote for Labour cause Tony Blair and his clan are LIARS...

I also have trouble forgetting that Michael Howard's nose is still covered in a certain Mrs Thatcher's brown stuff...

I'm sure alf the people who think about it feel this way. Shame we cant all get together and form a party eh?

How bike freindly would the roads be then :lol:

I wish Lord Such was still alive.. he had some genuinely good policies and this might just have been his year.

At least he didnt hide the fact he thought it was all balls.

carelesschucca
02-03-05, 11:30 PM
he was the only one that told the truth... He lives high in my estimations (oops sorry bad wording there :shock:)

anyway as I say every time I post (if only we could) lets all vote for Zaphod Beeblebrox for our leader...

Smiffy
02-03-05, 11:43 PM
Well 2 heads are better than 1.

snoopy
03-03-05, 07:57 AM
I entered Lib Dem and it didn't save??? Now I can't edit :(

No-one will vote for such raving ponces anyhow :lol:

Jabba
03-03-05, 08:52 AM
Screaming Lord Sutch for me :wink:

Let me guess, this flippin' govt has made it legal to stand for election even when deceased :?

RenamedMonkey
03-03-05, 09:16 AM
anyway as I say every time I post (if only we could) lets all vote for Zaphod Beeblebrox for our leader...

:lol: I'm not sure we can trust a man with two heads :? or at least not all of him :wink:

Nutkins
03-03-05, 09:39 AM
Screaming Lord Sutch for me :lol:

Why not? .... most of members of Parliment are dead anyway.

Iansv
03-03-05, 09:42 AM
amended the post to have a question and added lib dem's

Nutkins
03-03-05, 09:46 AM
amended the post to have a question and added lib dem's

Well, that was wasted typing then :lol:

jonboy
03-03-05, 09:53 AM
I entered Lib Dem and it didn't save??? Now I can't edit

Yes but what's the freakin' question???

(I can edit the poll but refuse to do so till a decent question is formulated and posted)

Nutkins
03-03-05, 09:55 AM
I entered Lib Dem and it didn't save??? Now I can't edit

Straight from Charles Kennedy's mouth.

Viney
03-03-05, 10:20 AM
Im gonna give Veritas a try. The future is bright, the future is orange, and Killroy is deffo orange :lol:

Ed
03-03-05, 10:39 AM
I hadn't realised that Lord Sutch is dead.

I will vote for whichever party promises on a meaningful basis to do something about this: don't get cancer in Shrewsbury or mid-Wales unless you can afford to go private or have health insurance.

Why?

The NHS trust has built a MRI scanner, with the aid of significant local fundraising. Total cost was just over £1m. But it isn't used, it's standing there empty. Why?? Because the NHS won't now stump up the £170K a year it will cost to run.

At the moment, we have a mobile MRI that visits one day a week from Gloucester. Yes, one day a week.

So the wait list for an MRI scan in Shrewsbury is TWO YEARS.

You'd be dead in that time.

It is utterly disgraceful. Chucca has referred to the millions wasted on the Scottish Parliament. How many billions did we spend on the war in Iraq. How much was wasted years ago on the ERM debacle. And how much will we have to fork out for security for Charles and Camilla's wedding, how much do we waste on the Royal gravy train. All it needs is a miserable £170K, a drop in the ocean for Tony Blair's government.

chutz
03-03-05, 10:54 AM
Bloody hell. Conservatives on 50%. My what short memories some people have :wink:

I abstained coz I'd only want to vote in a "genuine" democracy where the elected government would have to go to a vote if they wanted to back track on the manifesto pledges that got them voted in in the first place. They only have a true mandate if they follow the policies we voted for.

:? I'll get my coat

Iansv
03-03-05, 10:56 AM
I abstained too, Can't justify any party, all politicians are the same and no matter what they promise will do exactly the same....

only parties that may do things differently are Green, Raving Loony, Veritas, Bnp etc etc

Spiderman
03-03-05, 10:56 AM

:lol: I'm not sure we can trust a man with two heads :? or at least not all of him :wink:

I'd rather vote for a man with two heads..... than all the two faced *******s we have to currently choose from:roll:

And i still dont know what the qustion is here.

Flamin_Squirrel
03-03-05, 11:21 AM
...only parties that may do things differently are Green, Raving Loony, Veritas, Bnp etc etc

...and if they got into power they'd go back on their word too.

RenamedMonkey
03-03-05, 11:35 AM

I'd rather vote for a man with two heads..... than all the two faced b*stards we have to currently choose from:roll:

And i still dont know what the qustion is here.

True, on both accounts.

Iansv
03-03-05, 11:39 AM
...only parties that may do things differently are Green, Raving Loony, Veritas, Bnp etc etc

...and if they got into power they'd go back on their word too.

yeah but might get some interesting policies :lol:

timwilky
03-03-05, 11:51 AM
What no BNP?

Only kidding would not waste my vote with that bunch of tossers

keithd
03-03-05, 11:56 AM
do we know what the frickin question is yet?

Nutkins
03-03-05, 12:08 PM
Hmmm .... so far 21% have abstained.

We are going to have to build a bigger fence for people to sit on.

Flamin_Squirrel
03-03-05, 12:12 PM
I say we use our ballots as toilet paper. That should get the message across.

Carsick
03-03-05, 12:17 PM
Tories with 10 so far. Bloody wonderful.
I think I'm going to have to get myself sorted on emigrating after I graduate.

wyrdness
03-03-05, 12:23 PM
Tories with 10 so far. Bloody wonderful.
I think I'm going to have to get myself sorted on emigrating after I graduate.

I guess that everyone has conveniently forgotten the boom and bust economy and the sleazy corruption (Jonathan Aitken, Neil Hamilton, Jeffrey Archer anyone?). I don't think much of Michael Howard and wouldn't trust that Letwin character an inch. Labour have done better with the economy, but the Iraq war loses them my vote. Kilroy's too smarmy and orange, so Lib Dems it is - though they're somewhat orange too.

Nutkins
03-03-05, 12:30 PM
I guess that everyone has conveniently forgotten the boom and bust economy and the sleazy corruption

Yes, the same forgetfulness that people have about the labour government of the seventies. My dad was a marine electricitian in the docks and was given the severence pay, meaning he couldn't work in any other dock again. When labour got in in the nineties, he said "the country has had bad times, but now it's about to get ****ed".

He left and is living happily in Oz.

Different governments affect different people.

Biker Biggles
03-03-05, 12:31 PM
I couldnt obey the rules so I got thrown out____________________of the anarchist party :wink: Certainly couldnt vote for any of the shower on offer here though.

Carsick
03-03-05, 12:49 PM
LibDems for me as well.
It's all well and good choosing to abstain and saying that voting just encourages them, but it's obvious that the people most likely to turn out and vote are the people with stronger views. This would usually mean a strong right wing or strong left wing, but obviously that doesn't really apply anymore what with new tories being what they are.

Biker Biggles
03-03-05, 01:01 PM
I think thats wrong.Both main parties know that right wingers vote tory and left wingers vote labour.The voters they both fight over are the middle ground ones in marginal seats.With the parties being basically very similar its hardly surprising that there is no real choice for the huge majority of voters and fewer bother to vote.I cant remember who said,If democracy could ever change anything it would have been banned years ago,but he had a point.

Nutkins
03-03-05, 01:05 PM
Yeah, but lets be fair .... the Lib Dems can promise the world, they know they don't have a chance of ultimate power. :lol:

What on Earth makes someone choose to be a Lib Dem politician? I can understand it with Labour and the Tories ... they're are all greedy *******s. What the hell gets achieved being a Lib Dem?

It's like Southend United all of a sudden finding themselves in the Premiership and saying "Now what do we do?"

Cronos
03-03-05, 01:08 PM
Yeah, but lets be fair .... the Lib Dems can promise the world, they know they don't have a chance of ultimate power. :lol:

The interesting dynamic is that if you look at the Scottish Paliament, the LibDems have been very quick to jump into bed with New Labour to share power for minimal concessions. :roll: I don't doubt an hung Westminster Parliament would result in the same outcome.

The sad reality is that power is more persuasive than principle! :(

Flamin_Squirrel
03-03-05, 01:13 PM
I tend to be of the school of thought that the state should be as small as possible. Social security is by far and away the biggest government expenditure, and I think that's wrong. Since government wastes vasts quantities of money, they should be given as little as possible IMO. That means I won't be voting LibDem or Labour - probably Tory. I don't want them in either, but since they won't win anyway I can vote for them safe in the knowedge that it will help to dent the Labour majority. Considering how badly Labour are abusing their power I think this is essential.

shutdown
03-03-05, 01:14 PM
what about noel edmunds house party?

Nutkins
03-03-05, 01:16 PM
:winner: Why does this make me laugh? Does he have a point?

Biker Biggles
03-03-05, 01:16 PM
Hung parliament.Now that would be agood result.It would prevent either side having much real power which would stop them imposing their half baked ideas on the rest of us.Ihave become a convert to the less government party.

keithd
03-03-05, 01:40 PM
Hung parliament.Now that would be agood result.It would prevent either side having much real power which would stop them imposing their half baked ideas on the rest of us.Ihave become a convert to the less government party.

and sod all would be achieved. at least if one party has overall power something gets done, albeit not to everybodies liking.

chutz
03-03-05, 01:52 PM
Hung Parliament ?

Carry on hung parliament perhaps...oops, wrong thread :lol:

Jabba
03-03-05, 02:11 PM
I want to see the back of this administration due to their systematic use of spin to cloud the issues so that many ordinary folks like me have to look very hard to see what's actually going on.

I want to see the back of them because they've made the state too big. We are now working longer each year to pay our taxes. Everything we, collectively, earned between 1st Jan and 6th June 2004 went to pay taxes in one form or another.

I want to see the back of them because of they way they manipulated the facts with regard to WMD to the point that we went to war. If they'd had said that they were going to war to bring about regime change in Iraq then I wouldn't be so miffed because they had been honest.

I want to see the back of them because they wasted so much parliamentary time and money in the hunting issue. It was a class thing and they did it out of spite and not for moral reasons. There were far more important things to be going on with. The nation would have forgiven them for not meeting this manifesto committment gicven the war in Iraq.

I want to see the back of them because Robin Cook and Clare Short had to leave the Cabinet for telling the truth and asking awkward questions. I admire them for following their conciences and being honest. The real reason that Robin Cook was sidelined is that he is far more intelligent that "Tone" and therefore a threat.

I want to see the back of them because of the way that they treated Ken Livingstone and tried to parachute-in Frank Dobson in London. Ditto Alun Michael in Wales.

I know it's idealistic and probably unrealistic, but honesty and openness is all I want from a Government and we're not getting it from this one. honesty and openness would enable the ordinary man in the street to debate politics from a position of knowledge, form an opinion and vote accordingly.

If the nation, as whole, thinks like me then we must vote tactically. That means Conservative.

I'm reminded of the bloke who said of Maggie Thatcher's Government:

"They are screwing us over. They know that we know it because they tell us they are doing it. And why. I might not agree with their policies or rationale, but at least they are honest."

[Edit = sorry for the rant :oops: ]

Flamin_Squirrel
03-03-05, 02:16 PM
The people got the government they deserve.

Iansv
03-03-05, 02:18 PM

You know those times you were saying you wished you'd not said anything... I think this is one :lol: :lol:

Flamin_Squirrel
03-03-05, 02:29 PM

You know those times you were saying you wished you'd not said anything... I think this is one :lol: :lol:

By the people I mean the politicaly ignorant masses. Since the people on this board tend to be sensible well educated people, there should be no offense taken as none was intended :wink:

If you want proof that most people don't have a clue, just remember that The Sun is the biggest selling news paper in the UK. Not saying that anyone who buys it has no clue, it's just alot of those who do bu it will actualy take it seriously.

Iansv
03-03-05, 02:30 PM
but i'd buy the times if it had page 3 :lol: :lol:

j/k

keithd
03-03-05, 02:33 PM
but i'd buy the times if it had page 3 :lol: :lol:

j/k

i do buy the times. now its "compact", much easier to handle!

and it makes me look clever.

Iansv
03-03-05, 02:39 PM
but your supposed to read it not just carry it round mate :wink:

jonboy
03-03-05, 02:42 PM

By the people I mean the politicaly ignorant masses.

Which is why democracy simply doesn't work very well.

Ceri JC
03-03-05, 02:46 PM
I tend to be of the school of thought that the state should be as small as possible. Social security is by far and away the biggest government expenditure, and I think that's wrong. Since government wastes vasts quantities of money, they should be given as little as possible IMO.

Yes, I'd vote for a "little government" party. I like thin, streamlined things, governments included: bloated government is inefficient, as well as intrusive and costly, IMO.

Spiderman
03-03-05, 02:46 PM
As much as i agree with what jabba has said i think all of us i here are fairly well informed individuals.

what suprises me is how little any of us understand about the political structure of this country.

The "war" in Iraq and the fiasco that went before it, WMD, Resolution 1441 etc etc. The intellegence services of this country brought forward this information to the Govt who decided that for their own power status they will illegaly invade another country.

Dont you all think this would have happened if the tories were in place at the time? Honestly?

The job of any Government,by its nature is to ensure the growth of the state. Growth financialy, politicaly, globaly and if during their term they do something that suits us (the Great Unwashed) thats a benefit to them for their next election.

Powers that be move the eworld forward, we as the tax payers are only here to give the govt the money they need to fight these wars. We will never be given a say on how those things are spent, simply because the political structure of this country is organised the way it is.

i have heard leading politicais say that the reason we need to be Governed (by a Government) is the same reason that childeren need a governess. they are far too intelectualy inferior to their superiors to even understand the daily complxities of government. In the same way a chile cannot understand the complxities of the governesses duites.
All the child sees is the final result... how we got to that is pretty much irrelevan to his unadvanced mind.

sad truth is that most of Government believes the above nonsense due to their own "detatched from reality" lifestyles.

We allow a guy, who travels in cabs that we pay for, to demand a charge of £5 to get into London. Why? He has absolutely no idea what congestion does to people in the real world.
He has no concept of going around the block 6 or 7 times till he finds an empty parking space... only to discover that its only got a 1hr max time limit to it and he knows he's gotta be in the meeting for at least that long. He has no idea of the dilema of "Do i leave it and risk a ticket..clamp or tow, or do i drive around some more and risk being late to this meeting?"

These are the people who own us, we have no power over them. Vote for who you please cos in a few years time you will moan about the whole nonsense of what they are failing to do compared to their manifesto promises.

Global abuse of power is our current reality, its the era of the bully boys. Who says what is irrelevant... what the big boys want, the big boys get.

Vote George Galloway... another innocent who was smeared by the political machine cos he attempted to derail their nonsense about Saddams Capabilities.

Government is government, regardles of what they are called.

Flamin_Squirrel
03-03-05, 03:08 PM

By the people I mean the politicaly ignorant masses.

Which is why democracy simply doesn't work very well.

Yeah. It worked better when there was no media trying to sell stories (because thats what the media does, they seldom actualy report the news).

People have lost sight of what democracy is all about. The idea behind democracy is that it allows the electorate to remove despotic rulers. Thats it. Alot of people think that democracy should be there to let everyone have their say. Although this is one of the side effects of democracy, the people having their say in everything isn't democracy, its anarchy - a proposition no better than dictatorship.

This is why I always dispare when things like the ban on fox hunting happen. The will of the mob should have no effect on the government, they should be stronger than that. Also, most people do not know, or unwilling to admit what is best for them. The government should be there to protect its citizens and provide an environment for them to be economicaly productive, nothing more.

Couerdelion
03-03-05, 03:39 PM
Have New Labour actually introduced anything that has benefitted me?

Have hospital waiting lists got shorter?

Have education standards improved?

Has less money been spent on administration and less money taken out of my wage packet?

Has the gap between rich and poor been reduced?

Is there enough police in the beat?

The country is a mess and no wonder it's ranked so low in places where people want to live.

The problem with govenments is that they aren't normal people. When has Blair ever struggled? How many MP's don't have degrees? How many have had Blue collar jobs?

Not to cover old ground but the poll tax wasn't a bad idea. Just the way it was implemented.

I just want a govenment that speaks the truth and listens to what the people want.

chutz
03-03-05, 03:49 PM
I think it was Plato who said "democracry is just one step from tyranny".

A few weeks back Tony Blair made a speech about the human rights abuses perpertrated by British troops on Iraqi citizens and said something along the lines of "the difference between democracy and tyranny isn't whether or not bad things happen it's the fact that in a democracy people are brought to justice for their crimes..." All sounded quite good until the next story was about Mark Thatcher who funded a military coup attempt (terrorist activity in my book) but got away with a bit of a fine coz he's loaded and the son of a famous meglamaniac :wink:

What was that difference again ?

Nutkins
03-03-05, 03:54 PM
Have New Labour actually introduced anything that has benefitted me? Me, me, me, me, me!

Have hospital waiting lists got shorter? Unfortunately, as people die, the lists get shorter.

Have education standards improved? Eh? Wot?

Has less money been spent on administration and less money taken out of my wage packet? No, more money ... on both accounts, by illlegal immagrants on both accounts

Has the gap between rich and poor been reduced? Yes, them bloody peasants now live on my doorstep!

Is there enough police in the beat? "In the Beat"? Is that a night club?

The country is a mess and no wonder it's ranked so low in places where people want to live. That's not true, there are lots of immigrants that could tell you otherwise.

The problem with govenments is that they aren't normal people. When has Blair ever struggled? How many MP's don't have degrees? How many have had Blue collar jobs? How many MP's do have degrees? ... we mustn't make assumtions that they are intelligent.

Not to cover old ground but the poll tax wasn't a bad idea. Just the way it was implemented. As with road tax, BBC licensing fees, congestion charges etc. etc.

I just want a govenment that speaks the truth and listens to what the people want. Wake up!, you're living in a dream world.

Couerdelion
03-03-05, 03:57 PM
The country is a mess and no wonder it's ranked so low in places where people want to live. [color=red]That's not true, there are lots of immigrants that could tell you otherwise.[/colour]

But the number of immigrants seeking refuge was down 33% last year, even they don;t want to live in England anymore!

chutz
03-03-05, 04:02 PM
The country is a mess and no wonder it's ranked so low in places where people want to live. [color=red]That's not true, there are lots of immigrants that could tell you otherwise.[/colour]

But the number of immigrants seeking refuge was down 33% last year, even they don;t want to live in England anymore!

The figures quoting a 33% reduction and there being an actual 33% reduction are two quite different realties I'm afraid. Never trust statistics, especially from political parties.

Flamin_Squirrel
03-03-05, 04:05 PM
Back in the day you could only vote if you contributed to society - ie, you paid taxes. Pitty we can't go back to that.

Ed
03-03-05, 04:23 PM
Back in the day you could only vote if you contributed to society - ie, you paid taxes. Pitty we can't go back to that.

And if you pay 40% then you get 2 votes? That's 8)

Quote from the BBC website on Mrs Dixon, the woamn whose operation has been cancelled 7 times at Warrington:

'Health Secretary John Reid is visiting the hospital at the centre of the row - Warrington General - and Mrs Dixon has invited him to her home in Penketh, Cheshire to discuss her concerns.

He said he would be asking people if the NHS was better or worse than under the Tories.

Mr Reid has indicated he is happy to meet her, but Mrs Dixon says she has not heard from him.'

I hope that Mr Reid can spare the time to come down the A49 to Shrewsbury (he might even recommend some safety improvements to it to the Roads Minister) and tell us why we can't have our MRI scanner up and running and why patients have to wait 100 weeks (in NHS speak, 2 years to you and me) for an appointment. So is the NHS better or worse than under the Tories? Answer's obvious to me.

Jabba
03-03-05, 04:37 PM
Has the gap between rich and poor been reduced? Yes, them bloody peasants now live on my doorstep!

I don't like the word "peasants", despite the obvious humour in this case.

Dunno why - just makes me feel uneasy.

jonboy
03-03-05, 04:46 PM
Strange because in France the term peasant in referring to simple countryfolk is quite normal. It doesn't have the derogatory meaning that it does over here.

snoopy
03-03-05, 04:46 PM
The reason broadsheets are large is so you don't have to look at all the common people on your morning commute by train.

Nutkins
03-03-05, 04:47 PM
I don't like the word "peasants", despite the obvious humour in this case.

Dunno why - just makes me feel uneasy.

Okay .... how about "Rif-Raf" instead?

Warren
03-03-05, 05:04 PM
where is the option for the grinch ?

03-03-05, 05:23 PM
Conservative, because they are the only party that has said they WOULD NOT ban hunting

Ed
03-03-05, 05:43 PM
The reason broadsheets are large is so you don't have to look at all the common people on your morning commute by train.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AlanSv
03-03-05, 05:56 PM
the sad thing is that abstains are 20%

No one cares if you Abstain, no one ever says... hmmm 30% of the votes were abstain, or spoilt ballots. they only care how many votes the winning party gets.

has there ever been a case were the spoilt papers were highier than the party with the most votes? no, and if there was, I bet the party would still get the candidate in.

I'm a believer in change. Just like when the Tories got too complacent, and New Labour were elected. I actualy think we're at that cusp again, and the Tories will get in, because people fancy a change, because they think Tony is turning into the Meglomaniac that Maggie ended up as.

jonboy
03-03-05, 06:43 PM
the sad thing is that abstains are 20%

No one cares if you Abstain, no one ever says... hmmm 30% of the votes were abstain, or spoilt ballots. they only care how many votes the winning party gets.

No abstains really do count. Spoilt ballot papers don't. Abstains naturally determine the percentage turnout and it's a figure that the press latch on to. What we want on a ballot paper though is simply an official "None of the above" abstention. We won't get it because 80% of the population would select it!

Mr P
03-03-05, 06:57 PM
Blimey, 48% for the Tories :shock:

At least that explains why the blue SV is so popular.

wheelnut
04-03-05, 08:46 PM
People have fought for thousands of years to get a democratic vote and it is still being fought for, many more thousands would like to have a secret ballot to elect a government.

Thats what my vote is :P a secret ballot. not telling you on here! But it wont be Antonio Blurred :D

Ken Livingstone for Pope, :shock: and the NHS to cure his nasal problems

chutz
04-03-05, 09:57 PM
Conservative, because they are the only party that has said they WOULD NOT ban hunting

words fail me... :(

oh, actually they don't but this is a U rated site so let me re-phrase...suitable words fail me... :evil:

Right, I'm off to torture my mate's cat using hounds and a lot of horses just for a laff like.