PDA

View Full Version : Anyone into Climbing?

RenamedMonkey
04-03-05, 02:33 PM
Just wondering if anyone here dabbles in climbing? Bouldering, Deep Water Soloing, anything really.

I am a regular at the Bristol Climbing Centre (http://www.undercover-rock.com/), and want to start making regular visits further South.

Will be in Dorset this weekend (Sat or Sun, whichever has better weather :lol: )

Anonymous
04-03-05, 02:56 PM
You should join the uni climbing club. Loads of trips and I don't think you have to be a student. I can find out details for you. Loads of my friends climb if you want putting in touch.

RenamedMonkey
04-03-05, 03:14 PM
You should join the uni climbing club. Loads of trips and I don't think you have to be a student. I can find out details for you. Loads of my friends climb if you want putting in touch.

Actually I know a few from Uni, they come down to the climbing centre.

I was just curious really... not sure there was a point in asking :lol:

Anonymous
04-03-05, 03:29 PM
:lol:

K
04-03-05, 07:21 PM
I used to free climb alot years ago. Not with a club or anything... hell, most of the time we didn't even know what mountain it was if it was outside Snowdonia! :roll:

A close friend of mine and I would just trawl around in his landy and stop whenever one of us went "Oooooh, look at that"! :shock:

Not been fit enough ever since I had a ligament replaced in my knee... just can't trust the sneaky thing.

Mr P
05-03-05, 05:40 PM
I used to climb a fair bit until last Summer when I picked up my SV :D

So all fine days last year were spent on that. Might get more of a chance this summer though.

I like the Bristol climbing centre (used to alternate between there and Gloucester before Swindon got it's own climbing wall) but it couldn't half get busy.

Jabba
07-03-05, 08:52 AM
Just wondering if anyone here dabbles in climbing? Bouldering, Deep Water Soloing, anything really.

Does "Social Climbing" count? :lol:

RenamedMonkey
07-03-05, 10:14 AM
I used to free climb alot years ago. Not with a club or anything... hell, most of the time we didn't even know what mountain it was if it was outside Snowdonia! :roll:

A close friend of mine and I would just trawl around in his landy and stop whenever one of us went "Oooooh, look at that"! :shock:

:lol: Sounds like what we do - go hunting round Dartmoor and when we see a big rock "ooh, look at that!" :lol:

I used to climb a fair bit until last Summer when I picked up my SV :D

So all fine days last year were spent on that. Might get more of a chance this summer though.

That's the opposite to what's happened to me! :lol: Got seriously into climbing, and haven't ridden the bike since!

Well, that and it not being unsured :wink:

I like the Bristol climbing centre (used to alternate between there and Gloucester before Swindon got it's own climbing wall) but it couldn't half get busy.

It does get busy a the climbing centre, I've paid for elite access and fortunately that includes queue jumping :wink:

Is the Swindon climbing wall any good? What's it's size compared to the Bristol one?

Me and a mate went down to Dartmoor this weekend for some bouldering - great fun! :D

K
07-03-05, 07:37 PM

:lol: Sounds like what we do - go hunting round Dartmoor and when we see a big rock "ooh, look at that!" :lol:

It depends, do you use ropes n stuff, or just your hands, feet and a bag of chalk? :twisted:

Mr P
07-03-05, 08:12 PM
Is the Swindon climbing wall any good? What's it's size compared to the Bristol one?

It's smaller than Bristol and hasn't got quite the same atmosphere, being basically a part of a leisure centre. Very roughly its about the size of 3 sides of a largish 5-aside pitch. But convenient.

Still occassionally made the Bristol centre on the all too frequent after work trips to the Avon Gorge when it started pi**ing down half-way there.

RenamedMonkey
08-03-05, 08:56 AM

It depends, do you use ropes n stuff, or just your hands, feet and a bag of chalk? :twisted:

Mainly, bouldering, yes, so no ropes, and in the summer it will be Deep Water Soloing (cliff's facing the sea). I lead climb as well, but it doesn't give me the rush and freedom that only solo-climbing can give :D

RenamedMonkey
08-03-05, 08:57 AM

It's smaller than Bristol and hasn't got quite the same atmosphere, being basically a part of a leisure centre. Very roughly its about the size of 3 sides of a largish 5-aside pitch. But convenient.

Still occassionally made the Bristol centre on the all too frequent after work trips to the Avon Gorge when it started pi**ing down half-way there.

They're popping up all over the place now. I'm looking into opening up a bouldering centre :P

Amanda M
08-03-05, 09:50 AM
I went on a climbing wall last week - the first time I've ever done anything like that - and really enjoyed it so I might try to find somewhere I can do it again round by where I live 8)

RenamedMonkey
08-03-05, 10:00 AM
I went on a climbing wall last week - the first time I've ever done anything like that - and really enjoyed it so I might try to find somewhere I can do it again round by where I live 8)

Excellent, failing finding somewhere indoors, take the enjoyment outdoors - a whole different experience :D

Amanda M
08-03-05, 10:21 AM

Excellent, failing finding somewhere indoors, take the enjoyment outdoors - a whole different experience :D

The wall I went on was outdoors and it was snowing and everything - bloody cold but great fun!

RenamedMonkey
08-03-05, 10:28 AM

The wall I went on was outdoors and it was snowing and everything - bloody cold but great fun!

8) Awesome, fair play!

We were climbing in hail last weekend :lol: that was amusing.

Amanda M
08-03-05, 10:35 AM

8) Awesome, fair play!

We were climbing in hail last weekend :lol: that was amusing.

Bet that hurt a bit!!

Amanda M
08-03-05, 10:56 AM
I've just been searching for places in manchester and as luck would have it there's a new place opened about 5 mins away from work!!! www.manchesterclimbingcentre.com Yay!!! I think I might pay them a visit!

RenamedMonkey
08-03-05, 11:10 AM
I've just been searching for places in manchester and as luck would have it there's a new place opened about 5 mins away from work!!! www.manchesterclimbingcenter.com Yay!!! I think I might pay them a visit!

so new the websites not even up and running yet!

Let me know what it's like. There's a brilliant climbing centre in Sheffield, The Edge (http://www.sheffieldclimbing.com/indoor/) (cheesy! :lol: )

Amanda M
08-03-05, 11:16 AM
I've just been searching for places in manchester and as luck would have it there's a new place opened about 5 mins away from work!!! www.manchesterclimbingcenter.com Yay!!! I think I might pay them a visit!

so new the websites not even up and running yet!

Let me know what it's like. There's a brilliant climbing centre in Sheffield, The Edge (http://www.sheffieldclimbing.com/indoor/) (cheesy! :lol: )

I got the name wrong, the link works now :D It looks pretty cool and the do beginners sessions. I'll probably call in on my way home at some point and have a look!