PDA

View Full Version : a580 speed limit

Anonymous
06-03-05, 02:13 AM
They've changed the former national speed limit between Haydock and Croxteth to 60. I've not noticed any cameras yet but there are warning signs and those patronising "SLOW DOWN" LED signs that that flash up right in your face at anything above 10mph and distract you from the road.

Does anyone know why they have changed the limit? I can think of no good safety reason - nobody is going to pay attention to it anyway - I can't think of a road with better visibility in the UK, those of you who know it will know you can see for about 2 miles down the road, with nothing but fields either side of you.

SPeeeeDY
06-03-05, 12:03 PM
if its a single carridge way road without a central reservation, then the national speed limit it 60 anyway.

But if it is a dual carridgeway il shut up now :oops:

BURNER
06-03-05, 04:36 PM
It's dual carriageway. Noticed the speed limit change a while back and it's probably due to some of the accidents and complaints.
Even at 70MPH on that road I've been passed by some very rapid traffic.
Watch out for mobile cameras, I've seen a couple.

wheelnut
06-03-05, 05:42 PM
I've not noticed any cameras yet but there are warning signs and those patronising "SLOW DOWN" LED signs that that flash up right in your face at anything above 10mph and distract you from the road.

At least them patronising LED signs dont make prizes

Points make Prizes :shock:

Totally Stupid I know.

The A580 is known as the East Lancashire Road and is motorway standard

mac608
07-03-05, 05:13 PM
Wot full of pot holes and car drivers who can't :)

Mariner
10-03-05, 06:39 PM
There has been several fatal accidents along this route in the last couple of years and the Police have applied for the 60mph limit. Two of the accidents have been at the Rainford junction, the one that cuts out the A570/A580 junction at St Helens, the last one being just before Christmas. ( I was unfortunate enough to be caught in the aftermath, bits of car scattered everywhere, not too pretty :( )There is no reason for this route not to be 70mph, a lot of it has been resurfaced during the last 12 months. It is wide, has safety barriers and does not pass through housing estates. Perhaps if these "rat runs" and unsafe minor junctions were redesigned, a big problem being a dog leg junction across the East Lancs, then the road would be a lot safer for all road users! There are no speed cameras now, but there will be speed traps in operation to augment the new limits. That was my entire route to work and now they've spoilt all my fun!

bootsock
27-04-05, 09:49 PM
...and watch out for a**holes pulling out in front of you in 4x4's down there, I very nearly got a close up of the driver even though I was keeping to the speed limit, still managed to stop in pleanty space but it certainly got the **** going! :shock:

Peter Henry
01-05-05, 10:59 AM
With the many intersections along the East Lancs as I know it, the road is not to be taken lightly.
On the section you mention unfortunately some friends of mine were involved in a fatal accident ...a lovely couple that were soon to be wed. They had left a whole group of us just 5 minutes earlier and were taken out by a car cutting across them. It was the first time anyone close to me,(family or friend) had died and almost as sad was the fact that the great bunch of people who used to bike around together broke up after the funerals.It was like we all needed to grieve alone. Sorry for being so morbid but as you can tell it has had a lasting affect on me. :cry: :cry:

furkuk
01-05-05, 06:39 PM
Easy one this.............It's cheaper to reduce the speed limit than solve the problems of accidents. Where else do you have 'T' junctions with no traffic control system and where they join a 70 mph road!!!!
Imagine joining the motorway from a give way sign and no run on....

Jp
02-05-05, 10:13 PM
Easy one this.............It's cheaper to reduce the speed limit than solve the problems of accidents. Where else do you have 'T' junctions with no traffic control system and where they join a 70 mph road!!!!
Imagine joining the motorway from a give way sign and no run on....

Have you been on the mancunian way in manchester, theres a junction just like that and it actually is a motorway, you have to come to a complete stop almost just to see if there is any oncoming traffic.

If i didnt have the acceleration of the SV on my side when joining this (and a couple of the junctions on the affor mentionioned East lancs) id surely be 10 times as scared of it as i am now.

Imagine joining on something like that in a 1L micra or similiar, frightning! :?

bootsock
05-05-05, 12:51 PM
Know the junction you mean, that must be one of the most stupid junctions in the country, still there's little they could do to improve it with where it is, although why there are no give way signs at least on the approach is beyond me as there are so many accidents there, once saw someone rear end an ambulance there!

The worst thing with that though is that not only is there no run on to a 50mph road (not that anyone ever seems to be doing less than 60 on there), but also you have to jump straight into the middle lane and the junction's on a bend so you can't even see easily what's coming either!

Anonymous
10-05-05, 05:52 PM
Have you been on the mancunian way in manchester, theres a junction just like that and it actually is a motorway, you have to come to a complete stop almost just to see if there is any oncoming traffic.

If i didnt have the acceleration of the SV on my side when joining this (and a couple of the junctions on the affor mentionioned East lancs) id surely be 10 times as scared of it as i am now.

Imagine joining on something like that in a 1L micra or similiar, frightning! :?

Good god, I drive the A57(M) every single day without fail. There are two junctions - both of them coming from Upper Brook Street - the one that has you stop, and then have to dart across a lane of traffic to avoid the left lane filter onto the roundabout is lethal. I've had three drivers in the last few months just pull straight out without looking at about 10 mph across both lanes when I was in the left lane turning off down the hill onto the A5103. :|

There is a worse junction just a bit further back as you come through Ancoats to avoid the backlog of traffic on the Great Ancoats Street. It's a 5 way offset crossroads with a blind 120 degree corner. Why that isn't a roundabout I have no idea!!! It's just a matter of time before someone is killed there, especially when you get idiot pedestrians crossing just behind the blind bit DIAGONALLY across the roads just to save a bit of time!

There are now speed cameras on the Bury Old Road section where it comes through Cheetham Hill, two Gatsos covering both sides... also I've noticed a Gatso pole going up just before the Trinity Way/A6 junction (on that lovely wide bit - that's going to be a massive revenue raiser as just about everyone does 40+ on that bit)