PDA

View Full Version : 6th Sense or just roadsense...

MavUK
14-03-05, 03:30 PM
Saturday I was nearly in an accident. Now I don't know why, but something said a woman coming from a driveway looking directly at me wasn't going to stop. So I had already started avoidance actions as she pulled straight in front of me...

Now I've done this before, and I know others have. So I have a question. 6th sense that we spookily know whats going to happen sometimes. Or just roadsense in thinking eveyone out there is a lunatic...

Stu

fizzwheel
14-03-05, 03:32 PM
its bikersense...

I get that alot saved me a few times

Carsick
14-03-05, 03:33 PM
I think it's just experience.
You start to pick up on clues that you aren't consciously aware of and it gives you a bad feeling.

So, roadsense more than anything, but not something you can be taught.

Iansv
14-03-05, 03:34 PM
yeah if you ride enough you do tend to develop a 6th sense about these things, if I didn't have one i'd probably not ride as I wouldn't last long !!

Flamin_Squirrel
14-03-05, 03:36 PM
I would say experience, but I don't have that much road experience and have still managed to avoid a few nasty situations :shock: 6th sense it maybe...

JessicaRabbit
14-03-05, 03:37 PM
It doesn't matter even if they DO seem to make eye contact. Most car drivers just assume you'll pull around them or stop, and some seem to look straight through you. TRUST NO-ONE SCULLY. Old adage, but true.

fizzwheel
14-03-05, 03:39 PM
[quote="MrsGrinch (I'm faster)"I'D DO SCULLY. [/quote]

Me to she's fit

TAXI for Fizz

keithd
14-03-05, 03:39 PM
6th sense, biker sense, common sense, plenty of ways to dress the turkey.

sometimes you just know somebody's not seen you, you're at your sharpest, slowing down, all brakes etc covered. still makes you poo your pants when it happens tho :shock:

Scoobs
14-03-05, 03:41 PM
Similar thing happened to me. I was on a roundabout and a car was coming down the slip road on to the roundabout. I always try and look at drivers eyes to make sure they have seen me. She was looking right through me, so I was already slowing with my thumb on the horn. She cut straight into my lane pushing me into the inside lane of the roundabout. I beeped the horn and she nearly **** herself. Her face told me she had absolutely no idea I was there. Just burned up the inside and rejoined my original lane. Silly mare!

MavUK
14-03-05, 03:44 PM
She was just spaced out... I hit the horn (possibly for a bit too long) as I rode around her she was still staring into space I don't think she'd seen heard me then.

She was in a tin can type car as well, not even a big luxury type with sound proofing. Scares me sometimes whose allowed onto the road..

JessicaRabbit
14-03-05, 04:21 PM
[quote="MrsGrinch (I'm faster)"I'D DO SCULLY.

Me to she's fit

TAXI for Fizz[/quote]

Lol....... the thinking man's/woman's crumpet? Whatever floats yer boat. :lol:

Carsick
14-03-05, 04:24 PM
I think she's just the heterosexual mans crumpet, actually.
Gillian Anderson is one of my few favourites.

Oh, her hair colour doesn't hurt. :wink:

Iansv
14-03-05, 04:26 PM
mmm redheads......

Gillian Anderson looked very good recently at an awards ceremony on tv, forget which one now....

Spiderman
14-03-05, 04:34 PM
I think she's just the heterosexual mans crumpet, actually.
Gillian Anderson is one of my few favourites.

Oh, her hair colour doesn't hurt. :wink:

i've never thought she was attractive, nor was i living in this country at the time the X files was a bid thang. i was busy living on a beach and surfing everyday thank you very muchly :D

So why did i, shortly after coming to live back here, have a bizzare dream with her in it? Not only was she in it, she walked up the the car i was in at the time...got in ... said Hi, wanna take me home? .... and proceeded to hitch up her skirt to reveal (very sexy) hold-ups??????

How bizzare is that?

oh i voted sisxth sense btw. I have my awareness skills.... but sometimes there is that extra something in my head, my minds eye if you will that will show me pictures of whats about to occur.
But then i'm odd and when i was a child i used to try and move things with my mind.
And i still hope one day to be able to do Astral Projection properly.

you asked. :lol:

Scoobs
14-03-05, 04:37 PM
oh i voted sisxth sense btw. I have my awareness skills.... but sometimes there is that extra something in my head, my minds eye if you will that will show me pictures of whats about to occur.
But then i'm odd and when i was a child i used to try and move things with my mind.

FREAK!

I feel I can say that now since I have met you. :wink: :lol:

keithd
14-03-05, 04:38 PM
gillian anderson has a certain quality about her which makes me want to rip her panties off of her!!!

i think its the lips :oops:

ahem :wink:

Scoobs
14-03-05, 04:39 PM
gillian anderson has a certain quality about her which makes me want to rip her panties off of her!!!

She has a pulse you mean? :P

Carsick
14-03-05, 04:39 PM
So why did i, shortly after coming to live back here, have a bizzare dream with her in it? Not only was she in it, she walked up the the car i was in at the time...got in ... said Hi, wanna take me home? .... and proceeded to hitch up her skirt to reveal (very sexy) hold-ups??????

How bizzare is that?
Dude, don't get me started on dreams with Gillian Anderson in them, you just don't want to know, believe me.

Troy
14-03-05, 04:42 PM
When my dad was teaching me how to drive, he told me,

"Pretend everyone else on the road is TRYING TO KILL YOU, and think of how they'd do that."

I have yet to get in an accident! :shock:

...even when I was dumb enough to rent a car and drive through London! Driving on the other side of the road was quite unnerving, but it was actually shifting with my left hand instead of the right that threw me the most. I kept punching the door with my right hand out of habit when I went to shift. :oops:

-Troy

Spiderman
14-03-05, 04:44 PM

FREAK!

I feel I can say that now since I have met you. :wink: :lol:

Thanks Scoobs, Yes you can and its the nicest compliment i can get.

Who the hell wants to be known as normal?

Hello I'm Normal Norman wanna be my friend <said in a Mr Beany voice>

being a freak has distinct advantages you see. People are either into my way of thinking or they are not. Those who aint avoid me (savesme listening to their boring chit chat, so that a good thing) and those who like me like me for being a freak.
And i get to have some seriously mind blowing conversations about things that interest me.... as opposed to having the constant "did you see the footy talk" 10 times a day ;)

Still got no idea bout that dream tho :lol:

keithd
14-03-05, 04:44 PM

She has a pulse you mean? :P

HA! i'm, surprisingly to some, fussy!!

i talk the talk me old scoobsy, all mahf! :wink:

Spiderman
14-03-05, 04:49 PM
When my dad was teaching me how to drive, he told me,

"Pretend everyone else on the road is TRYING TO KILL YOU, and think of how they'd do that."

I have yet to get in an accident! :shock:

...even when I was dumb enough to rent a car and drive through London! Driving on the other side of the road was quite unnerving, but it was actually shifting with my left hand instead of the right that threw me the most. I kept punching the door with my right hand out of habit when I went to shift. :oops:

-Troy

OMG i read the above and laughed as i did this all the time when i first went to live in Spain...kept punching the inside of the drivers door like a tw@.

Then the penny dropped..........Troy is an american who doesnt drive an automatic!!!!! Isnt it like 98% of peeps there have autos??
And he bravely decided to have a non auto while he was over here too. I like his balls.

:roll: no...not like that before anyone edits my post.

fizzwheel
14-03-05, 04:50 PM

i think its the lips :oops:

ahem :wink:

excuse me there is a queue here.. yeras ago I used to date a girl who looked like a cross between Gillian Anderson and Anna Friel.. boy was she cute

lynw
14-03-05, 05:15 PM
wow what a derail!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Troy
14-03-05, 05:18 PM
Troy is an american who doesnt drive an automatic!!!!! Isnt it like 98% of peeps there have autos??

Anyone can ride in a car (automatic)... I prefer to DRIVE (manual)!

hehe, I think 98% might be a little high though. :lol:

-Troy

Spiderman
14-03-05, 05:19 PM

How bizzare is that?
Dude, don't get me started on dreams with Gillian Anderson in them, you just don't want to know, believe me.

You're right, I don't.

:lol:

neither do i you sicko!

SPUD
14-03-05, 06:23 PM
sometimes you just KNOW !!!!!!!!! spooky :reaper:

Spiderman
14-03-05, 06:38 PM
Troy is an american who doesnt drive an automatic!!!!! Isnt it like 98% of peeps there have autos??

Anyone can ride in a car (automatic)... I prefer to DRIVE (manual)!

hehe, I think 98% might be a little high though. :lol:

-Troy

Good man :thumbsup:

really, is that too high?
I genuinely thought it was as much as that (or there about anyway).

northwind
14-03-05, 10:05 PM
I think we get that wee "6th Sense" moment all the time, but that naturally 99 times out of 100 nothing comes of it and we forget- but that one time out of a hundred we remember and say "Wow, that's amazing".

No?

Sid Squid
15-03-05, 09:07 AM
I agree with Michael, it's experience of riding and various road situations, it may or may not be a concious decision process, and even if you don't have an enormous amount of experience every time you ride from the very first time onwards all builds it, so adds to that process, initially the additions to your planning/riding process will be added to at a high rate, as your ride more the process is constantly refined.

Don't believe in mumbo jumbo 6th sense claptrap, it won't help you, by all means paint an 'Eye Of Horus' on your bike to ward off evil spirits, but it'd probably be a good move to use your mirrors/indicate/not overtake at junctions etc all the same.

SVeeedy Gonzales
15-03-05, 01:26 PM
Yeah, it might seem like you just "know" people are going to do something stupid at times, but it's just down to subconsciously noticing that they've just done/are doing something unusual... they're looking the wrong way, not slowing down quickly enough, the lights behind you are getting a bit too bright a bit too quickly... stuff that sets off alarm bells, especially when coupled with experience.

It happens so quickly at times and the alarm bells ring at the first sign of danger, it can really feel like you just knew something was wrong, rather than being based on any real evidence. Just trust that intuition - if something doesn't feel right, don't trust the b@st@rds!

Biker Biggles
15-03-05, 01:30 PM
I dont know much about sixth sense,but we do have an ability to think subconsiously.Many times I have found myself taking avoiding action for a hazard I didnt know I had seen.Periferal vision plays a part here too.You see things without looking at them but you still react accordingly.

clanger
15-03-05, 01:36 PM
its down to experience mainly.....I glare at other road users, I feel both defensive and aggressive when I am out on the bike. I have a completely different attitude riding in traffic than I do when riding down a deserted country lane.....

I am sooooo observant, I see everything...though I am sure that riding a bike does heighten your awareness thus making it seem like you have a sixth sense.