PDA

View Full Version : Had an off . . .

Sharpy
22-03-05, 12:20 PM
Was riding home on the mille on sunday along the dual carriageway between lisburn and hillsborough about 50mph when the bike starts slowing down, i pull in clutch to shift gears and the gear shift wont budge, so im stuck in 5th and slowing down so bike begins to chug. I try to accelerate a bit to gain some more speed and no response from throttle.

Now the worry time, i get over to the hard shoulder and pull in the clutch again to disengage the engine and freewheel to slow her down under control, the second i pull in the clutch the bike locks and dumps me on my ****.

Fortunately i had R&G bungs fitted so the bike is barely scratched, broken brake lever, gear pedal and cracked engine case is about it, but thru no fault of my own ive ended up with broken bones which could so easily be far far worse.

Now ive already called Phillip Mcallen and explained the situation, he came out to the house personally late last night to collect the bike. While the bike was at my house he did a few quick checks, th ebike started up, throttle worked, and he was able to shift thru gears, altho not an exhaustive test it did have me worrying.

My worry isnt that he will find nothing wrong with the bike which means my warranty will cover me, my fear is that there will be an intermittent problem which altho may not be picked up ina few checks does not guarantee me that this bike wont do similar again in the future.

So in a word if he cant find a problem with it i am going to have absolutely no confidence in this bike and with the injuries from sunday i dont need that doubt in my head and the possibility of not coming off as lightly in future.

So it all depends what mcallen says after looking at the bike, theres no way im keeping it if he can find no problems so heres hoping.

Not sure what my next course of action is if he cant find any problems.

Skip
22-03-05, 12:24 PM
Doesnt sound good, glad to hear you arent too badly hurt tho...

Does sound like if you dont find the root cause that it could happen again... :(

diamond
22-03-05, 12:27 PM
Worrying, hope it works out for you! :D

Anonymous
22-03-05, 12:27 PM
Nasty. I don't undestand why the wheel would lock with the clutch in. Despite reading about exactly the same on a GS this morning :?

Chris1
22-03-05, 10:04 PM
What a bummer!!! I see your point about what happens if he doesn't find anything. Your confidence in the bike has just gone AWOL. Here's hoping he'll find something.....he's a top guy though. I bought my bike from him and he couldn't have been more helpful when I had a minor problem a while afterwards. Good luck.

Chris

irl_dar
22-03-05, 10:36 PM
**** sorry to hear that man!!!!
I hope he finds a problem..sounds very nasty!!!!!!!
Praise the crash mushrooms!!!!!

Daz
23-03-05, 12:57 PM
Sorry to hear that pal. Very scary!

Get well soon.

Logie bear
28-03-05, 08:19 PM
Jeez Sharpy, hope you get well soon, sounds like a real problem to me, hope it all works out in your favour.

Ride safe

Sean.

Cloggsy
30-03-05, 11:41 AM
Jeez... I hope you're OK :!:

The SV1000 might be a good idea (from the other thread :wink:)

Sharpy
30-03-05, 12:59 PM
thats the way im goin cloggsy for sure, ill give the dealer a phone if i dont hear from him by the end of the week.

Gonna be 2 months or so before im back on a bike anyway so should have an sv1000 in time for summer :D