PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Shark S500 lid?

tigersaw
02-04-05, 07:17 PM
Browsing the shop for a new lid this afternoon. I tried on the Shark S500 - it was cheap, light, comfy and had a clip type buckle rather than the loop and rings, which I liked. I dont change visors so thats not an issue for me, but I would be interested in its performance regarding wind-noise and steaming up in the mornings. Anyone know if BIKE has ever tested it?
http://www.twentyoneten.btinternet.co.uk/pix/s500.jpg

Warren
03-04-05, 12:12 AM
my girlfriend has one.

i tried it on, seems pretty good to me.
the best bit about it is the air vents.
they have a button you press and they ping back to close again :)

cb9002
03-04-05, 08:18 AM
I've got a S500 - great helmet. The buckle fastening I like especially - much easier than double D rings. Also one of the lighter ACU gold helmets I've tried on.

As to visors, they are a bit tricky to get hold of, but are the same ones used on the Shark RSF - which you can sometimes get hold of on Ebay. I've only had fogging problems at low speeds on misty/rainy days, in which case I just leave it open one notch below 30mph. Never needed to bother with a Fog City etc.

Noise I can't really comment on since I wear earplugs, and its the only helmet I've ever worn above 60mph!

One con, the ventilation is always reasonably good, but the vents are crap and make no difference!

steve mac
04-04-05, 11:49 AM
I've got an S500 lid myself - had it for about 2 years now.

It's starting to get noisy even with plugs as the lining seems to be getting softer, other than that though I can't really complain - especially at the price.

Also got a tinted visor from www.thevisorshop.com for about £23 at the time - they had black one's too...

Kingy
09-04-05, 12:15 PM
I've got one and as a budget lid you can't knock it but it is noisy as hell and if you look at something a bit more pricy you can see where your money goes.

I am looking at replacing mine now and IMHO you would be better off paying a bit more for an S800 or even RSF2 if you can stretch to it.

S500 makes a good spare lid though for what it costs.

Best place I've found for visors is www.racevisors.co.uk - if they don't have it then you probably don't want it anyway.