PDA

View Full Version : Brakes - Help!

Yokel
11-04-05, 09:17 AM
Hi All. New to the forum but thought I'd better seek some advice before making any expensive mistakes.

I haven't ridden the SV for a couple of months and while it's been in the garage the front brakes have started binding (they've rubbed a bit for a while but not like this!)
I pulled the pads out at the weekend and gave everything a thorough clean - I hate road salt - which helped, but when I reapply the front brake it doesn't release properly and starts to bind again.

So to the questions...
The good old Haynes manual says I probably need to strip and clean the calipers, which sounds sensible but I've never done it before. Any handy hints? Am I likely to end up with brake fluid all over the floor? And do I need any bits other than new seals, copper grease and a pot of brake fluid?

Could let a garage do it, but I'm keen to learn and mechanics seem to be a bit hit and miss with brakes - feel OK off the service and then within a week they're rubbing again (old CB500, not the SV.)

Thanks!

Hooligan
11-04-05, 09:40 AM
I had this problem twice in 3 months.
There is a build up of salt between the dust seal and inner seal. If you pump the front lever until 1 piston pops out, then jam it up and pop the other piston out untill you can remove them by hand. Remove it from the brake lines for ease. The dust seal will also come out, so you need to clean the seat where is sits in and the piston. A toothbrush is very helpfull. Once everything is clean put the old or new dust seal back in, push the piston in half way then grease it up with copper slick. Once everthing is done put it back on the line and bleed the brakes. Once one side is bled and working you can remove the other side and repeat the same procedure.

BaggaZee
11-04-05, 10:08 AM
then grease it up with copper slick

Isn't coppaslip bad for the seals?! :shock:

Hooligan
11-04-05, 10:47 AM
If you push the piston half way back in then the coppa slip will not go on the inner seal, it will sit between the inner seal and dust seal. This way it keeps the inside of the piston fresh rather than getting road slat in and corroding it.

Yokel
11-04-05, 12:11 PM
Thanks Hooligan, I'll give it a go.

raymond smith
11-04-05, 02:04 PM
copaslip is a big no for the seals. you need to use silicone grease only, as this is the proper lubricant for seal material. i have been servicing my brakes regularly for three years and they work perfectly. see my post on the absolute cure for brake pin woes

Sid Squid
11-04-05, 07:33 PM
Don't use copper grease on the brakes seals, doing as described above will result in grease contaminating the pressure seals.

Stig
11-04-05, 08:17 PM
copaslip is a big no for the seals. you need to use silicone grease only, as this is the proper lubricant for seal material. i have been servicing my brakes regularly for three years and they work perfectly. see my post on the absolute cure for brake pin woes

Link to the post :?: :?: