PDA

View Full Version : clickety click - no start though

SV650S_DUB
19-04-05, 08:25 AM
Good morning,

when I go to start my bike it just half turns, but not enough to crank the motor into life and emits a clickety click sound like electricity arcing between two points. I can't see any loose conenctions and all the fuses are grand. Tested the battery and all seems fine there in terms of amps and what have you.
Bike itself has been standing for a fortnight and the battery is from '01. Is this simply a question of aged battery syndrome, a starter motor on the blink or something else? All advice, useful that is!, much appreciated.

Clunk
19-04-05, 08:33 AM
I would suggest the battery is at fault. Charge it up and try again.

The clicking is probably the starter solenoid.

Cloggsy
19-04-05, 08:41 AM
I would suggest the battery is at fault. Charge it up and try again.

The clicking is probably the starter solenoid.

That's what I though too :wink:

DeeJay
19-04-05, 08:55 AM
agreed again... sounds like a battery issue...

lairylarry
19-04-05, 09:17 AM
Sounds like the battery or battery connections.

If the bike's been standing a while, charge it. But if you've been using it regularly, I'd change it as it sounds knackered.

Mr Toad
19-04-05, 09:23 AM
try jump starting it from another bike or car
the battery may appear to be putting out the required volts/amps when you apply a test meter, but you really need to put it under load to be sure

my car battery went in Feb - hadn't used the car for some time, couldn't start it - just got clicking from the starter, charged it up overnight, all looked OK on the test meter, but it still wasn't enough to get the car started, so I ended up buying a new battery :cry: .

cheers

fizzwheel
19-04-05, 11:24 AM
Its the battery, mine did that in the winter

SV650S_DUB
20-04-05, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
I had tried to juice the bike via running a battery charger from mains to the bikes battery and then attempting to get the bike to turn. This had no effect. Am I wrong to say in light of this that jumping the bike from a car would have no effect?
It does seem in light of what everyone has said that the battery is knackered so.

fizzwheel
20-04-05, 04:04 PM
If you have a bit of cash go and get yourself an optimate and plug that into your battery... think they only cost £35 ish

If your battery is sulphated or knackered the optimate will sort this out and also charge your battery up, you can leave the optimate plugged into the bike when you are not using it which will mean that your battery woes will be over

Couerdelion
20-04-05, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
I had tried to juice the bike via running a battery charger from mains to the bikes battery and then attempting to get the bike to turn. This had no effect. Am I wrong to say in light of this that jumping the bike from a car would have no effect?
It does seem in light of what everyone has said that the battery is knackered so.

Did you leave it to charge overnight or just try as soon as it was attached to the mains? The second won't work (sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs)

Try jump starting from a car. If this works you then know it's a battery fault.

hth

Rich