PDA

View Full Version : Roof lids

Wiltshire7
24-04-05, 09:15 PM
Hi all

So that i can at least get on the back of a bike, where is a good place to get a roof lid from? i live in north london, barnet. the more local the better.

im not too bothered about the range of lids, rather i just wanna see if they fit my head well. if they do then i think ill come home and order it online.

my last lid was an arai. shoei's didnt feel very comfortable because they pushed against my forehead a bit too much. anyone know how roof lids are shaped?

any comments on roof lids in general?

jonnyb
24-04-05, 09:57 PM
hi, get a blue one and the colour match is spot on! its a bit bloody heavy, but its really genuinely quiet, especially compared to my old mans xr1000. it seems to be slightly narrower than what im use to on the cheeks, but thats not a problem for me. it also looks quality with an iridium visor! im really pleased with mine, anywho. hope this helped a bit.

Wiltshire7
24-04-05, 10:10 PM
cheers dude.

found a bit about them on the web. seems they r ok, but not great. the looks r the best bit about em it seems, which is fine for a bike tart like me!

hall13uk
24-04-05, 10:15 PM
first of all why a roof? is it the fit or because it's quiet.
arai are so much safer.
but hey it's not my head so i dont want you to think i am pushing you in a certian direction freedom of choice & all that.
in answer to your question i believe J&S acc do a good range of roof lids.
hope that helps. :)

Wiltshire7
25-04-05, 01:51 AM
Aye, i know where j&S are. thanks.

as for safty, there were arai and shoei lids that did worse than Roof on safety in the ride test this month. i was suprised at the results actually. The roof diversion was about average, so unless u get a lid in that test it seems impossible to know which is safer. money doesnt sem to have an impact either.

mysteryjimbo
25-04-05, 06:03 AM
I dont read too much into impact tests. At a certain point your neck is going to shatter or snap before the helmet gives way. So long as it meets regulations i'm happy.

jon
25-04-05, 07:38 AM
I dont read too much into impact tests. At a certain point your neck is going to shatter or snap before the helmet gives way. So long as it meets regulations i'm happy.

What a beautiful thought for 8.40am on a rainy day.

mysteryjimbo
25-04-05, 08:12 AM

What a beautiful thought for 8.40am on a rainy day.

Hey, i'm realistic. I accept all the risks involved and find them acceptable. But theres nothing you can do when you hit that lamppost at 60mph except be good at what you do and dont get in that situation!

25-04-05, 08:18 AM
hi mate

i onw a roof daytona in blue,

im very happy with it, apart from i nutted my shed roof and scratched the nice blue bit yesturday #-o

it fits my head, but the aria didnt really so maybee u will have better luck, although u may need a size or two down! i did,

they all pass the same tests imho, and the roof lid is approved for race tracks aswell,

hth

Alex

will
25-04-05, 08:20 AM
i have got a roof diversion which i am happy with. the diversion is the full face one, cost 195 pounds or thereaboouts.

i have only had one helmet before this - an arai maverick - and i think the roof is of lesser quality but quieter. overall i think i prefer it, and it looks cool IMHO!

if you are thinking about the roof with the flip up lid, i would avoid. i have heard a very nasty story about one of these coming off in a low speed impact leaving the victim with permanent scars when he should have been unscathed.

my head is arai shaped, and shoei's done fit me either. the roof was a bit of a squeeze at first, but quickly "moulded" the shape of my head.

Will.

Clunk
25-04-05, 11:47 AM
arai are so much safer.

Based on what ?

Because they cost 2 or 3 times as much ?

Don't believe the hype.

Flamin_Squirrel
25-04-05, 11:59 AM
arai are so much safer.

Based on what ?

Don't believe the hype.

Agreed, that statement is ********.

The extra money you pay on an expensive lid goes towards comfort with respect to padding, weight, ventilation etc and perhaps other misc. features. Nothing to do with safety - the safest lid is the one that fits.

Cloggsy
25-04-05, 12:02 PM
Agreed, that statement is ********.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't mince your words... Say it as it is :!:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jabba
25-04-05, 12:07 PM
the safest lid is the one that fits.

And that is the bottom line. Well said, good Sir!

Wiltshire7
25-04-05, 12:08 PM
lol

anyway, i ordered a roof diverion in large. black, naturally!

j&S dont do them any more so i made sure i can send it back if it doesnt fit. the bloke recons if Arai's fit me though then a roof should, they are simular shape.

ill let u know what i think of it when i get it. ill order a black visor for it too if it fits.

hall13uk
25-04-05, 12:55 PM
arai are so much safer.

Based on what ?

Don't believe the hype.
just thought they were put through more tests etc.

oh i just brought a haga rep RX7 very nice good fit to.

Captain Nemo
25-04-05, 02:07 PM
ive got a roof daytona (ro10) in blue, almost colour matched to the bike,

its a good lid and looks great, quite quiet, only slight problem is the venting on the top and back, it might be just me but it doesnt seem to make any difference if the vents are open or closed,

and the side visibility is a bit short, although i believe this has been addressed on the new ro20 lid

the original roof visor (slight tint) is good and is quite good at resisting fogging, but the irridium visor i got when i bought the helmet is cack, it scratches if you stare at it too hard, and mists up really easily.

hth

Mervin
25-04-05, 03:26 PM
I've had a Roof Daytona for about a year now. Apart from my initial moaning about the wind noise and visor fit, I reckon it was bargain at £240.

Although the visor is mistproof, it still mists in cold conditions a little. The vents in the top do nothing at all.

But it looks cool as you like and is very good quality.

northwind
25-04-05, 08:49 PM
I'd have got a Daytona but my head's Arai shaped not Roof shaped :cry:

As far as safety's concerned, weight of a lid is a big deal when involved in a crash, so if you have 2 otherwise equal lids, both good fitting, the lighter one is safer- much less stress on the spine as your noggin bounces along the road.

Also, quality of padding is a safety issue, as well, since it eseriously effects how long the lid will fit for.

Wiltshire7
25-04-05, 09:43 PM
so far ive had 2 people say arai and roof lids r the same kinda fit, and u say its not.

who to believe! lol. ill find out for myself i guess. we're all different.

northwind
25-04-05, 11:03 PM
The top's the same sort of shape I think, it was finding one that my head would go into easily without being too loose that was giving me gyp :) The chin piece seemed awful close as well IIRC.

Mervin
25-04-05, 11:35 PM
On the Arai Condor I tried, my chin poked out the bottom. The Roof goes well below my chin so is a perfect fit.

northwind
25-04-05, 11:44 PM
I was the other way round- my chin pokes forwards so that gave me problems at the front, but the Condor fitted a charm :)

Swiss
26-04-05, 10:23 AM
I've got the roof and love it. I'm on my 2nd as I had an off last year and am happy to report the lid did well.

As for the vents, I've always found them to work really well!!!!!!

Black lid with blacked out visor, it's so cools it'll make your nipples stick out. :wink:

Wiltshire7
27-04-05, 07:02 PM
i got my roof lid, it looks damn cool but the fit just isnt right for me.

a real shame but i wanna be 100% confident with the most important part of kit.

does anyone know where i can goa nd try on loads of different brands? most shops ive seen only sell of a couple of brands. i might just get another Arai, but they r bloody expensive. i might get one called an 'SV' though, its their cheapest lid at £220.

also, i saw helmets by a company called 'simpson'. anyone seen these lids in the flesh? any other recomendations for cool lookin lids like Roof's?

thanks again.

Biker Biggles
27-04-05, 07:13 PM
If you can wait three weeks the BMF show has a big range and some keen prices.Failing that there are new lids sold on ebay if you know your size.

northwind
27-04-05, 07:17 PM
i might get one called an 'SV' though, its their cheapest lid at £220.

I got my Condor for £230... And it's pretty nice.

On the subject of safety, I just flicked through the Ride that had the lid tests and I see the Roof Diversion (only one tested) did really badly...

Wiltshire7
27-04-05, 08:20 PM
On the subject of safety, I just flicked through the Ride that had the lid tests and I see the Roof Diversion (only one tested) did really badly...

dunno if id say it did badly, it was about average.

a £205 helmet won, just shows money doesnt matter much, safety wise.

i had a condor before, great lid. but i wanna get a black one, and they dont come in black.

Clunk
28-04-05, 08:06 AM
a £205 helmet won, just shows money doesnt matter much, safety wise.

And a £100 helmet came joint first. HJC AC-11, was £180 now £100 at Hein Gericke.

northwind
28-04-05, 05:51 PM
dunno if id say it did badly, it was about average.

i had a condor before, great lid. but i wanna get a black one, and they dont come in black.

It failed the spike test, that's pretty bad... Though really, probably not all that representative of real world incidents. Impact transmission would have been more useful.

Actually, now I think baout it the whole test was a bit rubbish, there were loads of comments in the comfort stakes of "Didn't fit properly" "My ears got squashed" "Chinpiece was too small". That's not a bad lid, that's a badly fitting lid.

As for Condors, they do come in black, I've got one... And I think the one in the test was black as well :)

belfastbiker2003
10-05-05, 07:51 PM
I have the blue Roof Diversion and find it perfect - quiet, comfy, and looks cool to say the least - my brother also has a silver one.

One thing you need to watch out for though - this has happened to both myself and my brother. Check the vents when purchasing. The screws that hold them in place tend to be overtightend and so crack the vent at the end where there is only a tiny bit of plastic between the screw and the end.

Also my brothers front mouth vents became very loose too.

So my advice check them either before you buy or as soon as the lid arrives if ordering.

In saying this though we were both at mondelo a couple of years back and went over to the guy who was official dealer for Roof and he replaced them free of charge - good man yer self!!!!

Steve