PDA

View Full Version : Knox Aero backpack Review

thor
25-04-05, 12:56 PM
It's great.

http://www.planet-knox.com/Knox/aero_backpack.asp

And cheap. Don't know how water proof it is yet, but it's light and the straps are low, which make head checks easier if you have shoulder armour. The bit about holding a stowaway is actually in it's rolled up form, so you can therefore substitute a tent, ground mat or sleeping bag roll instead.

Wearing most of the weight lower on your back makes a big difference. Most hiking bags tend to put the weight higher up and thick straps. As for carrying a back protector when you are not wearing it this seems easy as I just put the bag straps through the shoulder loops of the protector, and then velcro the waist band round the bag.

There's reflective piping too.

John

Iansv
25-04-05, 02:36 PM
*adds to shopping list*

thor
25-04-05, 02:41 PM
Yeah, did I mention the helmet compartment? :D

Iansv
25-04-05, 02:58 PM
Yeah Jonboy has also recommended and I need a new rucksack

The Mass
02-05-05, 12:40 PM
Hi all,

Make sure when you get it to check the top of the straps. As they do have a tendancy to wear, and I had a hole in the top of the bag which leaked.

Sorted now thoug, as they sent me a new one, and credit for damaged good int eh bag at the time :thumbsup:

A very good bag though!

jonboy
02-05-05, 01:47 PM
They're not advertised as waterproof but I would say do as good a job as gear that's claimed to be. Even in torrential rain my Knox backpack has been rather good, though the side pockets certainly let in water first (takes a fair bit of rain to make this happen) so keep anything important in the main compartment.

Nouf
12-05-05, 03:31 PM
Been using one for about a yr now and it is gr8. It's deceptively big in space, I once managed to carry a full set of gears, bar the lid, home in it. Full leathers, boots and gloves! Reasonably good water resistance too, havent had anything get wet inside as yet, great stuff me think. Apprently Alpinestar has just done a new rucksack which was highly rated in the bike mags, havent seen one yet.

Muttley
12-05-05, 11:27 PM
Just to back up the "It's great" comments.

I got mine at Christmas and has been used most days to carry my "stuff" to and from work, that includes a change of clothes (I hate riding in my work clothing) and stacks of magazines to be read during the night shifts.

So far I haven't noticed any rain water leaking in, although I do tend to put clothing in a carrier bag just in case.

The chest strap helps to spread the weight of the bag, it feels quite different when you ride without it done up.

I was wearing my rucksack when I recently had my "off", fortunately it was low speed, but the rucksack seemed to hold up quite well considering, only slight signs of wear to the side pocket and one of the strap buckles.

The helmet carrier is a God send if you need to push your bike anywhere. :)

will
24-05-05, 04:22 PM
stacks of smutty magazines to be read during the night shifts.

:wink:

Muttley
30-05-05, 03:04 PM
Have you been having a cheeky look into by 'sack?

:)

spudnuts
01-06-05, 09:37 AM
Ride magazine are giving them away this month if you subscribe :)

spudnuts.

will
01-06-05, 09:49 AM
Ride magazine are giving them away this month if you subscribe :)

spudnuts.

why do i always miss these offers? subscribed to ride and got nothing, and i see TWO are giving away bolle sunglasses, and when i subscribed i got nuffink. :(

jonboy
01-06-05, 10:59 AM
Just bought another one yesterday after my two year old one disintegrated and am pleased to see that the design has been improved. Yes you can buy more expensive backpacks but for the money I think it's very good value, particularly as I got mine for £26.99.

Cloggsy
01-06-05, 11:06 AM
They're giving these away if you subscribe to 'RiDE' magazine (must pay via Direct Debit though...)

http://www.hvweb.co.uk/cloggsy/knoxoffer.jpg

Just thought I'd let you know :wink:

Iansv
01-06-05, 11:47 AM
hmmm tempting :-k

jonboy
01-06-05, 12:56 PM
Do make sure it's the very latest model as you could well be getting what's left of the old stock, hence the offer. Just a thought.

Valman
01-06-05, 04:04 PM
Do make sure it's the very latest model as you could well be getting what's left of the old stock, hence the offer. Just a thought.

It's got the red trim on the pic so it should be the newer version. Since mine has taken a fair bit of abuse recently I went for the offer anyway, and at £10.24 for the quarterly that's a bit of a bargain isn't it?

jonboy
01-06-05, 04:11 PM
If you're able to cancel without penalty then the answer is definitely yes!

Valman
01-06-05, 05:00 PM

Doesn't say anything about how long you have to keep the subscription going, just says you may cancel the direct debit at any time.

Cloggsy
01-06-05, 09:18 PM

Doesn't say anything about how long you have to keep the subscription going, just says you may cancel the direct debit at any time.

It is a good mag though... I always buy it, so having it on subscription will save my shoe leather walking to the paper shop too :D

Iansv
02-06-05, 10:45 AM
Well i've subscribed... lets see how long it takes to get my rucksack..... :)

Well Oiled
12-06-05, 09:55 PM
hmmm tempting :-k

Too tempting for me - just took out subscription. Backpack will be very handy. Have one now but my lid only just squeezes into it.

Cheers Keith

Tina
19-07-06, 01:01 AM
I have one of these, very roomy but on longer journeys i find
it hurts my shoulders slightly?

Tina xx

w1ll15
18-08-06, 06:39 PM
yea i bought me self one of them back packs, really impressed with it

salt&maltvinegar
19-08-06, 11:28 AM
spam

thor
02-02-07, 05:58 PM
It's great.

http://www.planet-knox.com/Knox/aero_backpack.asp

And cheap. Don't know how water proof it is yet, but it's light and the straps are low, which make head checks easier if you have shoulder armour. The bit about holding a stowaway is actually in it's rolled up form, so you can therefore substitute a tent, ground mat or sleeping bag roll instead.

Wearing most of the weight lower on your back makes a big difference. Most hiking bags tend to put the weight higher up and thick straps. As for carrying a back protector when you are not wearing it this seems easy as I just put the bag straps through the shoulder loops of the protector, and then velcro the waist band round the bag.

There's reflective piping too.

John

Almost two years of constant use and it still looks like new. I use it for everything - quite good for cycling too! There's a small tear in the bottom seam, but hey, not bad considering.

Never really tested how waterproof it is, suspect it isn't. Helmet bag thing isn't all that. When it's got a lid in you can't put it down without it falling over.

Its also a nice shape if you bungy it to the seat. Done quite a few miles like that.

Law
16-02-07, 03:03 PM
Almost two years of constant use and it still looks like new. I use it for everything - quite good for cycling too! There's a small tear in the bottom seam, but hey, not bad considering.

Never really tested how waterproof it is, suspect it isn't. Helmet bag thing isn't all that. When it's got a lid in you can't put it down without it falling over.

Its also a nice shape if you bungy it to the seat. Done quite a few miles like that.

Never had mine leak, and that was tested once in enough rain to drown my front cylinder. I have the older version without the red trim and main compartment buckle. I use it as my main rucksack when not going out on the bike.

SoulKiss
16-02-07, 03:48 PM
Time to wade in with the obligatory "I wouldn't wear a rucksack when on the bike if I could possibly avoid it."

Get a tankbag/tailpack instead :)

David

thor
16-02-07, 04:00 PM
Time to wade in with the obligatory "I wouldn't wear a rucksack when on the bike if I could possibly avoid it."

Get a tankbag/tailpack instead :)

David

Indeed, but a bungy net is cheaper.:D