PDA

View Full Version : Update on Ian.......

mrs fud
27-04-05, 12:31 PM
Hi Guys and Girls

As some of you may or may not know on the way to the annual ride out last year my dad fell of his bike on the motorway and made a bit of a mess of himself.

So here is an update just to let you all know how he is.....seeing as Peter has asked.

He is now on the mend, the plastic surgery to his face has gone really well.
The plates and screws that were placed in his arm after the open break (ooh, still makes me cringe thinking about it) are still there and the hospital have said that they will have to stay there. The movement in his hand is getting better very slowly, shoulder has very little movement but that is also improving by the day too.

The hospital have told him that he can not ride again as if he falls off again he will actually loose the arm as they would not be able to do anything with it due to the amount of metal inside it.

As for the bike, well they have eventually fixed it and he has now got it back. So if anyone knows of anyone who wants to buy a Magni 1200 Sport (only 4 in the country, I think) that is in tip top condition now with all the new bits on. Give me a shout.

My dad is now retired from the post office on medical grounds as there is no way that he could ever go back driving the arctic wagons and hopefully he will learn to slow down a bit.

As for the cause of the accident in the first place, it has turned out that the doctors now think that it was a stroke so he is still taking the "rat poison" on a regular basis. :shock:

That verdict would tie in with why he was aware that he was heading for the central res and he couldn't react, but it also did him a favour because when he hit the central res his body was relaxed.

Anyway, he is improving all the time, and thanks for asking about him.

Jo.

jonboy
27-04-05, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the update Jo, glad he's getting better but still a very nasty business - wish him well from us all.

FUBAR
27-04-05, 02:05 PM
:D Most excellent to hear JO send my regards to the big fella..

Captain Nemo
27-04-05, 02:46 PM
although ive never met your Dad, wish him well from the C'apn

amarko5
27-04-05, 09:34 PM
Hi Jo

so glad there are improvements everyday :thumbsup:

tell your dad I am asking after him will ya :wink:

Mark

BURNER
27-04-05, 09:37 PM
Glad to hear he's doing well Jo.
I'll ask around about the Magni, see if anybody bites.

OF.uk
27-04-05, 09:37 PM
Likewise.
Thanks for the update. I still think about him and the accident.
Paul.

Cloggsy
28-04-05, 01:11 PM
I'm glad to hear he's doing so well, after what was a shocking accident :!:

I still remember Mark telling me all about it when he got to the Cat & Fiddle :shock:

Pass on my best regards :wink:

bluebell
28-04-05, 05:52 PM
Glad to hear that your dad is making progress.

Peter Henry
28-04-05, 08:36 PM
Jo...Nice one. You see even down here in this miserable God forsaken place :lol: I had not forgotten what must have been a terribly traumatic thing for you to witness. Brilliant to hear that Pops is healing well.
You all stay safe now,ok? :wink: 8)

PBx
29-04-05, 11:35 AM
Jo,

THanks for the update, I was wondering how he was doing. Have they got the warfarin level stabilised ok? My dad was for ever going back to the 'clot clinic' when he went on to it.

trog
29-04-05, 07:45 PM
Jo/Dave,
Glad your Dad is recovering. It must so frustrating for him having to give up bikes and his job. I hope he can find something to fill the gap in his life - something without an engine!
Send him my regards and I hope to see you out and about at some stage.
Trog

Quiff Wichard
01-05-05, 10:16 PM
ditto

my dad had a stroke 2 years ago-

thankfully he was in his bed and not on a motorbike!..
hope he re adjusts and finds life fun again

there but for the grace.....etc etc

wheelnut
01-05-05, 10:25 PM
As cloggsy said, we heard about it at the cat, I didnt know your dad either, and although I knew it was serious I expected he was back on bike by now.

Thanks for the timely reminder. wish him well from the forum

GSXR Carlos
02-05-05, 09:33 PM
well wishes as always