PDA

View Full Version : Very Confused

tricky
09-05-05, 11:37 AM
Hello

I have read all the posts in this section and I am even more confused as to what tyres to fit than before I started.

I am newly qualified rider and have a completely standard sv650 k1 (5000 miles, original tyres still fitted).
I want something stable, safe and predictable. (reasonable wear rate would be nice too)

Recomendations please

Thanks in advance

jonboy
09-05-05, 11:41 AM
020s, Road Attacks, Z6s. That's it really, all good but expect fantastic mileage from the Z6's, excellent mileage from the Road Attacks and reasonable mileage from the 020s.

Cloggsy
09-05-05, 11:46 AM
Welcome to the site...

I've just had Z6's fitted to my bike & they're superb - Don't forget, you need to 'scrub in' new tyres before you can go mental on them :wink:

jon
09-05-05, 12:14 PM
From all the reading around i've been doing i have to agree with jonboy. Continental Road Attacks seems to be the best wear / performance out fo the lot (and have the prettiest tread pattern, a real bonus!)

Balky001
09-05-05, 12:31 PM
Hi Tricky, welcome to the forum.

How many miles do you think you will do a year as you might prefer something like a Diablo (not Diablo Corsa or SuperCorsa) as I found it gave excellent wear for a slightly sticker tyre and the were very predictable and grippy in the wet as well as super grippy in the dry. They are not always the obvious choice for the SV but if you are only riding a few thousand miles a year (I got 6000 miles and 4 track days out of the rear so thyey don't wear that badly!) you might want to check them out. If you doing loads, then the Road Attacks sound pretty good.

tricky
09-05-05, 12:41 PM
Thanks for that.

What does "scrubbing in" actually constitute ?, is it just riding steadily and cautiously ?, 'caus thats pretty much how I ride anyway ;-)

Carsick
09-05-05, 12:44 PM
Thanks for that.

What does "scrubbing in" actually constitute ?, is it just riding steadily and cautiously ?, 'caus thats pretty much how I ride anyway ;-)
The idea is to take the release compound off the tyres and stop it looking shiny. You basically try and use all of the surface that you would normally rely on, but you do it in a manner that doesn't rely too much on the grip holding.
That said, the road attacks are bloody good even when scrubbing in. When I had a set fitted (8.5k miles ago, and still counting on the front) I scrubbed them in riding across Wales in the pouring rain. By the time I got the bridge they were done.

Balky001
09-05-05, 12:44 PM
Thanks for that.

You'll probably find a shed load of threads on scrubbing in but basically its getting the shiny surface off a new tyre (which is on there so tyre can come out of mould easily). The more you lean the more of the shiny stuff you'll scrub off, but as its more slippery you should wear the sides gradually - over anything from 20 to 100 miles depending who you listen too.

tricky
13-05-05, 01:23 PM
Thanks again for all your advice.
Got some road attacks being fitted tonight :D

Cloggsy
13-05-05, 09:27 PM
Thanks again for all your advice.
Got some road attacks being fitted tonight :D

Kewl... Let us know what you think in comparison to the tyres you've taken off :wink:

tricky
16-05-05, 07:46 PM
Well I've just been out and done a quick 40 miles on my new Road Attacks.
Very impressed indeed.

I can't really compare them to the standard tyres that came off as the profile was almost square.

The tyre guy said the pressures reccommended by Continental are 36psi on the front and 42psi on the rear for the sv650, seemed a bit high to me, anyone tried anything different ?

:D :D :D :D :D

Cloggsy
17-05-05, 09:34 AM
Well I've just been out and done a quick 40 miles on my new Road Attacks.
Very impressed indeed.

I can't really compare them to the standard tyres that came off as the profile was almost square.

The tyre guy said the pressures reccommended by Continental are 36psi on the front and 42psi on the rear for the sv650, seemed a bit high to me, anyone tried anything different ?

:D :D :D :D :D

If thats whats recommended, I'd go with it TBH... As a newly qualified rider you probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway (like me :oops:) :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: