PDA

View Full Version : Decent tracks...anyone know any?

Anonymous
11-05-05, 07:22 PM
Its time.............to tackle some gravel and unsurfaced roads. Not muddy green lanes mind, just somewhere I can go off and play with myself ( :wink: ) without coming to too much harm and simulate the kind of roads we would have if Britain had less people in it.

So I headed off to my boyhood haunts of Monmouth and Ross area to ride down those long forestry tracks near the Wye.....OR NOT! They are all barred now :(

Can anyone think of anywhere I can go and play? I want to get the feel of the bike on some half decent tracks before I go and do anything stupid. Somewhere in striking distance of Bristol or South Wales and dont have to be long, just for practice.

Ta!

Professor
11-05-05, 10:07 PM
When my daughter bought her Suzuki Vitara she went to test it onto the
Salisbury Plain (you know, the place where the military hold exercises).
Also, once she told me something about bikers practising crazy stunts
somewhere, I think it was on Salisbury Plain.

See also

http://www.phoenixtrainingonline.co.uk/offroad.htm

Anonymous
12-05-05, 06:50 AM
When my daughter bought her Suzuki Vitara she went to test it onto the
Salisbury Plain (you know, the place where the military hold exercises).
Also, once she told me something about bikers practising crazy stunts
somewhere, I think it was on Salisbury Plain.

See also

http://www.phoenixtrainingonline.co.uk/offroad.htm

Thats interesting. Ta for that :D

jonc
13-05-05, 01:49 PM
I go walking up pen-y-fan quite a lot, and there's a track that goes very close to that which often has 4WD vehicles on. Should be able to find it on an OS map I recon.

Anonymous
13-05-05, 03:08 PM
I go walking up pen-y-fan quite a lot, and there's a track that goes very close to that which often has 4WD vehicles on. Should be able to find it on an OS map I recon.

Ta, will have a look for that on the map.

Patch
13-05-05, 03:12 PM
Rich you need to make contact with Boboneleg on Dualsport, he's from Bristol and organises quite a few rides from your area.

As soon as the GS is back from the doctors I'll be organising another in Hampshire and probably one on the plain as well

Anonymous
13-05-05, 04:27 PM
Rich you need to make contact with Boboneleg on Dualsport, he's from Bristol and organises quite a few rides from your area.

As soon as the GS is back from the doctors I'll be organising another in Hampshire and probably one on the plain as well

Excellent! I haven't been back on dualsport since the blike with the lists became overly irritating and the site died (coincidence) :lol:

Jabba
16-05-05, 11:24 AM
Decent tracks...anyone know any?

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana :thumbsup:

Oh, sorry. Wrong thread :wink:

drinky
22-05-05, 09:16 PM
Rich,
The Prof 'it the nail on the head', get your **** up to Salisbury Plain. If you travel from Tidworth (4 Miles from A303) towards Marlborough just as you leave the village you go past a speed camera (on left) and the road drops down hill. At the bottom of the hill is a 'Tank Crossing Point' its marked by black and white posts. Take the track on the left, that is a metalled road (tarmac) and it will lead you to a place called Sidbury Hill its an army driver traning area (Might have seen Clarkson thrashing a Range Rover over there on top gear tonight) Its got anything you could ask for there for bikes even a gert big beemmer. Just be aware though, its MOD land that has public rights of way across it. Best to get an OS map of the area as the MOD Police do go up there along with the Land Wardens. If you stray from where you should be you usually get told to move back onto the road, although some Nazi Coppers have threatened to confiscate bikes (Mind you it was an RM 250 crosser and as basically I was on a public road I was breaking every rule I see why). As long as your road legal your fine up there. And dont worry its a 'Dry' training area only so there's nothing going to blow you up. Enjoy it......

Anonymous
23-05-05, 07:30 AM
Ta, Drinky!