PDA

View Full Version : Well I made it!

adam
16-05-05, 12:57 PM
So I got to Dover at 0930 on saturday morning and waited to board a ferry that should have been cancelled since the sea conditions were very rough but anyway it carried on.
As we arrived in Calais I was greeted by one of the ships officiers to inform me that my bike was the only bike that had "tombee" during the crossing. Grr anyway just a new mirror which I got at Channel Bike in Calais.

Having just read what has happened to Mr Toad I'm bloody glad I did take it easy as the weather was attrocious. I only made it to Troyes the first night however I was south of Paris so with the conditions and having not really got going until 3pm it was alright!

My second day I set off and took the Autoroute for a while until just before Lyon I took the N79/N75 to Grenoble where the hills become mountains and the real fun starts! From Grenoble I did the entire length of the N85 Route Napoleon via Gap and Grasse in the dark. Having never ridden these kinda hairpin alpine roads before it took a bit of getting used to but before long I was overtaking most of the locals though not the pair of gendarmes who shot past me on whatever POS bikes they had!

Anyway, I arrived at Cannes at about 10pm so with 6 hours 1st day and 12 hours second day Jelster was bang on it 18 hours it is from Pas de Calais (boo) to Cote d'Azur (yay)

I think the point of this is if you haven't ridden these alpine passes before then you must. Absolutely must it's grin factor 10 and what the bike loves!

Anyway I'm off to try some more twisties round here :twisted:

Jelster
17-05-05, 07:43 PM
Top man !! 18 hours from start to finish.. And the whole of the N85, a road which is one that I intend doing later this year.

Don't forget the pictures !

See you soon mate, and have a good time.

Mr Toad
31-05-05, 12:18 PM
Glad you survived :D
and not at all jealous, oh no, not at all :D