PDA

View Full Version : U.S.Warm State tyres.

Peter Henry
16-05-05, 09:53 PM
Sorry to be a pain in the a+s to most reading this post! :? But I have a slightly different problem when considering my next set of tyres. That being cold weather and rain do not enter in to the equation! (yes I am a real softie these days!) :oops: Having been unceremoniously dumped on wet roads in the past it is an aspect of biking that I have never been comfortable with, despite the obvious advancements in tyre technology. If God forbid I was ever caught in the rain here,(and boy if it rains here it absolutely hammers it down!) I would be more likely to pull up pre bend,dismount,round corner pushing bike and then remount at exit! :oops:
My bike has Michelin Sports on it right now and I must say that I cannot fault them.I am not the fastest curve rider,but then again probably far from the slowest. I tend to use a lot of countersteering with late drop in to bends.The rear tyre is about 3 to 5 mm chicken strip right now but the front seems to have acres of strip? This does confuse me a little and I can only put this down to the profile of the tyre?(Please feel free to educate)

But getting back to the main point, the roads I ride are always at least warm and generally bloody hot! Most of my rides are on the twisties(U:K) or in the canyons(U:S:A) So if there was something that would compare or better the Michelins for these conditions I would like to hear your thoughts.Maybe some of the guys from California or Florida could help? Plus not forgetting those in the U.K. from darn sarf! :lol: 8)

jonboy
16-05-05, 10:01 PM
You want a pair of Metz 4s Peter :lol: .

Peter Henry
16-05-05, 10:21 PM
Jonboy...Metz4's noted for checking out.Cheers! :wink: 8)

Quiff Wichard
16-05-05, 10:36 PM
see-

I have the orig metz 4s I think !!
anyway whatever they are I dont feel confident with them- like riding on ice sometimes..!!

would I be wrong? are they poor?

Peter- incidentally i dropped onthis post searching all your posts for the cafe rendevous!! one ! :?

Anonymous
17-05-05, 06:44 AM
Peter, do the roads turn to glass when it rains? In Greece they are so smooth that any bit of wet on them is a very frightening experience.

Cloggsy
17-05-05, 09:32 AM
You want a pair of Metz 4s Peter :lol:

Me thinks he is taking the p155 :roll:

Maybe Pirelli Diablo Corsa'a/Super Corsa's

Peter Henry
17-05-05, 02:38 PM
Cloggsy you could be right if these are the same on's that came on the earlier SV's! Jonboy pulling me wotsit!

Rich you are correct,smooth tarmac with coating of rubber over the months and then rain! Not a good combination.

BTW my question about tyres was a serious one? :? 8)
Sig..sent pm 8)

jonboy
17-05-05, 02:52 PM
You want a pair of Metz 4s Peter :lol: Me thinks he is taking the p155 :roll:

Moi? :lol:

I think the answer depends on how much mileage you want from them. Now if that's not an issue then go for something like Metzeler M1s (http://www.metzelermoto.co.uk/en_84/tires/template_categorie.jhtml?selected=desc&catid=84SPSUP&productid=15674&nome=SPORTEC_M-1) or Michelin Pilot Power (http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004103725&codePage=2092004103725_07092004135921&lang=EN) (the brand new ones). Other than that Bridgestone 014s.

Quiff Wichard
17-05-05, 05:48 PM
well my Metz 4's are cack-

I really dont feel too confident on them at all ..

BUT- can I justify 160 of the round nuggets for M6's or however much they will cost me.. wud i be able to sell om my M4's as they are not too worn?? or wud no one be interested>? could I recoup some outlay ?

jonboy
17-05-05, 06:36 PM
well my Metz 4's are cack
Perfectly put.

BUT- can I justify 160 of the round nuggets for M6's or however much they will cost me.. wud i be able to sell om my M4's as they are not too worn?? or wud no one be interested>? could I recoup some outlay?

Yes you can justify the expense, it's honestly not something you'll regret. However no-one in their right mind on this forum will buy them, but if you stick 'em on Ebay you can guarantee some div will have them :lol: .

Peter Henry
17-05-05, 06:51 PM
Cloggsy...Michelin Pilot Power? 50.6º lean angle in the dry? Why would you want to tone my riding down? :lol: 8) Seriously thx for the links mate! 8)

Quiff Wichard
17-05-05, 10:33 PM
cheers jonboy...some div might buy em -- wud codt em 50 quid in postage though !!!... lol

Cloggsy
17-05-05, 10:37 PM
Cloggsy...Michelin Pilot Power? 50.6º lean angle in the dry? Why would you want to tone my riding down? :lol: 8) Seriously thx for the links mate! 8)

I think the answer depends on how much mileage you want from them. Now if that's not an issue then go for something like Metzeler M1s (http://www.metzelermoto.co.uk/en_84/tires/template_categorie.jhtml?selected=desc&catid=84SPSUP&productid=15674&nome=SPORTEC_M-1) or Michelin Pilot Power (http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004103725&codePage=2092004103725_07092004135921&lang=EN) (the brand new ones). Other than that Bridgestone 014s.

Wasn't me mate :oops:

Peter Henry
18-05-05, 09:27 PM
oops sorry Jonboy! I knew you would come through in the end! Some good choices there.At the moment gut feeling would be the Michelin's or the Bridgestones.High mileage not a big issue..maybe 5k km per season top whack.Mind you remember my season is March to November! :lol: 8)

More important to me is predictability under braking and top notch cornering potential. Which would be beyond my limits I am sure! :lol: 8)