PDA

View Full Version : should there be?

Itching 2 go
23-05-05, 07:55 PM
well I have this idea, greg and john may not approve of it but it is an idea none the less, so go with me on this.

should there be a forum for the bad tempered/a slagging forum if you wish?

its quite simple, there is a lot of bitchyness on here that a few users, myself included, find really amusing. There are some of us that like to wind people up just to see a reaction. Now the best place for stuff like this seems to be...................well it seems that everywhere is fair game!

I have noticed a fair few threads getting locked recently and other moderators feeling the need to make announcements in their area to chill things out. What I am suggesting is an area where you can come and bitch about people without clogging up the forum with pages of mindless arguments about utter crap.

I am only suggesting an extra room in the house open to any forum member, or if nessary a room closed to the general public but open to users upon application to the mods. inorder to keep the main forum welcoming and friendly. so what do people think?

Kate
23-05-05, 08:04 PM
I can see this thread disappearing or getting locked! :wink:

Seriously, I don't see the harm in a little bickering, in many cases I think it needs to be said. Its better to have a discussion/bickering/bitching in public than a slagging match behind people's backs. If you are not careful everything will get very two faced and that would be a pity as its a pretty genuine forum.

I don't see why threads have to be locked when things get heated? I think the points on both sides are interesting and can be informative.

I think that a seperate members only forum is not such a great idea, it could kinda make the normal forum die down a little with only interesting/fun stuff being posted in the members only forum.

On the other hand, if threads are going to be locked then maybe its an alternative that should be tried?

BillyC
23-05-05, 08:05 PM
Hehehehehehe :lol: No :shock:

but actually voted yes

Itching 2 go
23-05-05, 08:07 PM
Hehehehehehe :lol: No :shock:

but actually voted yeswell that makes sense
lol

fizzwheel
23-05-05, 08:57 PM
I think if you open it to all then anybody will come onto here, signup and then go into the "slagging room".. I think that the SV or mainly bike related theme of this site should be maintained and I think this will detract from it. Also its yet another section for the admin guys to look after and I think they have enough work to do already.

I dont see why we cant leave things as they are, yes we have debates and yes sometimes they get heated. I think the recent friendly reminders about not posting adult stuff, and also not having adult avatars have been OK, so had the recent thread lockings.

If it aint broke dont fix it IMHO, if you want to have a row, use PM, email or MSN or just go somewhere else.

my 2p's worth

Ed
23-05-05, 09:01 PM
I had a very public slanging match with waxy on here, about falling off. I'd just busted my pelvis at the time and wasn't very happy. He thought I was completely humourless and I haven't seen him on here since. Shame when people do that as I think peeps should be sufficiently mature to accept that others have a different POV, sometimes very deeply held. If people recognised this, there's be no need for a padded cell.

Cronos
23-05-05, 09:09 PM
Isn't there one already called VisorDown! :roll:

Jabba
23-05-05, 09:15 PM

Which is why I don't go there :roll:

I vote "No"

Sorry Joe. Nowt personal, so no need to go slagging me off* :lol:

[* that's a joke, BTW :wink: ]

BillyC
23-05-05, 09:16 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think Joe posts there ;)

valleyboy
23-05-05, 09:17 PM
no slanging forum please!

Im a member of several forums.. not bike related... they had an open forum which ended up a free for all spilling over into the other sections.. they ended up closing that part of the forum cos things got so bad, personal insults went flying in all directions!

K
23-05-05, 09:20 PM
I've seen a similar thing tried on a couple of other forums, either a separate 'board' or a simple 'Bitch Thread'... neither have really worked.

True, some of the best entertainment can be found there, espescially when it between a number of peaople who know each other well enough to get really down and dirty, opposing views and all that whilst still not losing it with each other - the problem comes when someone else comes in on the defensive.

Remember, offense is far more often taken than it is actually meant. Worse still is people taking offense on behalf of others, generally due to their own viewpoint rather than that of the other person.
Only an individual knows how they feel/react to a given situation.

The purpose, and entertainment, breaks down then and it invariably all ends in tears with someone getting sent to bed with out any ice cream. :cry:

From what I've seen in my time here has generally been an astounding level of maturity, leading to a forum where you can have debates and opposing views - and whilst they may get a little sticky at points, things seem to mainly come out right in the end.
I like that.

Flamin_Squirrel
23-05-05, 09:21 PM
I'm not sure about the idea of a slagging forum, but I do think that moderation can be heavy handed at times. There maybe times when a conversations getting a bit too heated, but unless things degenerate into a pure slagging match (which I think is extremely rare) I don't think threads should be locked.

Sure it might not project the best image, but sometimes I can't help think of an ostrage burrying it's head in the sand...

jonboy
23-05-05, 09:38 PM
No. Let's keep SV650.org the friendly community that it's supposed to be. Just think before you post and anything personal that's not meant for open discussion can be PM'd. End of story.

Mogs
23-05-05, 09:57 PM
I vote No, I like it the way it is.

Peter Henry
23-05-05, 10:02 PM
Well though only a sort of honarary member these days due to my dessertion to things Italian, largely I enjoy the refreshing friendliness to be found here on this site. I found the thread that questioned a fellow members credability and honesty very recently,to be quite out of place on here.
I occasionally drop in to other sites but cannot retain my interest for too long as so often they are so full of crap and such self opinionated bigots.

The idea gets a thumbs down from me,why spoil what is actually a very good formula? 8)

Spiderman
23-05-05, 10:31 PM
i'm sure if it existed i'd read it but not post on it.

The utterly crap thread for example...i've NEVER posted in it. me. the one who posts everywhere and has some kinda opinion on many a thing.

The biggest reason i can see to this not working is that it may get too personal and end up spilling out onto the streets of soho or other organised (well you know) meets.

So my question to you Joe is..... well, are you?

Balky001
23-05-05, 11:30 PM
There's a bit of friendly bickering going on most weeks - I prefer to keep it this way - a special room for slating people/ideas could be counter-productive. Also, a room for the select few, hmmm, are you saying we are all equal but some are more equal than others? Now was the George Orwell or Tony Blair?? (Not slating your idea :wink: , just my thoughts)

Itching 2 go
23-05-05, 11:47 PM
well, it was only an idea, I can see all your view points, and I agree with them but at the same time wonder if having a room like this could have worked? Maybe maybe not, would the select view be more or less equal than the rest? not at all, and as it's not gonna happen it will not ever become an issue. will the forum fall into a deathly hush because we cant get along with eachother some of the time? No!

just thought I'd try and stir some intresting views out or the crowd and see who cares!

oh and Zig, I am really that big! :lol:

Balky001
24-05-05, 12:15 AM
It always worth coming up with new ideas to try and get debates going. There seems some appetite for it. Wish I could think of something original to suggest :oops:

hall13uk
24-05-05, 02:33 AM
having personal experince i would say

no keep it as it is